MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Can't exactly be great for team chemistry, coming off a year where the team choked away the regular season title, when the star player enters the transfer portal and comes back. I wonder if the Rona recruiting ban is the reason for his return. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

57 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

On paper BGSU should be the favorite to win the MAC with Turner returning. Turner had a long list of offers. If he really wanted to be out of BG, he'd have transferred. I can't see anyone faulting him for weighing his options.

i'm happy he's staying in the MAC but sure I still fault him. He held his program in purgatory, not being able to recruit his spot by not knowing if there was a spot or not. 

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

On paper BGSU should be the favorite to win the MAC with Turner returning. Turner had a long list of offers. If he really wanted to be out of BG, he'd have transferred. I can't see anyone faulting him for weighing his options.

And they were the favorite this season.  Maybe they will hit 4th in the East.

23 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

i'm happy he's staying in the MAC but sure I still fault him. He held his program in purgatory, not being able to recruit his spot by not knowing if there was a spot or not. 

BG could have said "No give-backs" when Turner announced he was leaving, and moved on. 

While it is certainly within the rules...and almost expected now-a-days...I personally don't like the concept of feeling out your options, and then going back to your wife if they don't work out. But that's the way is seems to go in the Grad Transfer era.

54 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

BG could have said "No give-backs" when Turner announced he was leaving, and moved on. 

While it is certainly within the rules...and almost expected now-a-days...I personally don't like the concept of feeling out your options, and then going back to your wife if they don't work out. But that's the way is seems to go in the Grad Transfer era.

Yeah part of that is on them. I know a good amount of coaches have a policy that once you're in the portal, there's no coming back. I'd hope Groce has the same policy to avoid that situation

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

And they were the favorite this season.  Maybe they will hit 4th in the East.

There is a difference between being a preseason favorite and actually winning the league. They play the games for a reason. It's extremely rare that the MAC has a team like Buffalo 2 years ago that's clearly a runaway favorite from the get go. It's part of what makes the MAC such an entertaining mid-major conference to watch.

BG very well may not win the regular season title, but I'd be stunned if they don't finish with one of those top 4 coveted seeds.

With or without the coronavirus we should be scheduling tougher. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I found it much more entertaining to watch Akron give #2 Louisville all they could handle on the road than watching us beat Concord by 50 at home. Of course the Louisville game would have been better with a win, but the more times you play those games, the more your odds increase of actually winning them. Plus those type of games prepare you for March.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

With or without the coronavirus we should be scheduling tougher. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I found it much more entertaining to watch Akron give #2 Louisville all they could handle on the road than watching us beat Concord by 50 at home. Of course the Louisville game would have been better with a win, but the more times you play those games, the more your odds increase of actually winning them. Plus those type of games prepare you for March.

Looks like the OSU game is scheduled for 11/19. They also lost a couple of players to transfer, and not players they wanted to lose. One went to Marquette and one went to Arizona State. Can't wait!

• Like 1