MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Looks like the OSU game is scheduled for 11/19. They also lost a couple of players to transfer, and not players they wanted to lose. One went to Marquette and one went to Arizona State. Can't wait!

Old nemesis Bobby Hurley is getting some good players to come to ASU.  He stole a 5 star kid away from Michigan earlier in the week.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

What does the one-year probation consist of? If it's not a postseason ban, this is a pretty pointless punishment considering they get to keep one of their best players. 

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What does the one-year probation consist of? If it's not a postseason ban, this is a pretty pointless punishment considering they get to keep one of their best players. 

There's something rotten in the state of Canada.  The penalties aren't much at all.  The asst coach's career is over.  NCAA said he acted alone but he denies it.  All of this for Mballa?

On 4/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Post-season bans almost never occur in college basketball -- can't think of any recent cases.  Univ. of Hawai'i had a very similar case with an assistant coach forging financial docs for an overseas player.  They were docked one scholarship recruit for two seasons -- a worse penalty than the Bulls received.  The assistant is always the fall guy -- think John Loyer and Huggins.

15 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Post-season bans almost never occur in college basketball -- can't think of any recent cases.  Univ. of Hawai'i had a very similar case with an assistant coach forging financial docs for an overseas player.  They were docked one scholarship recruit for two seasons -- a worse penalty than the Bulls received.  The assistant is always the fall guy -- think John Loyer and Huggins.

Georgia Tech actually had a postseason ban this year. Not that it mattered any since there was no postseason.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

The loss of a scholarship would be more acceptable than what they got. I'm starting to think the NCAA asked Rob Manfred for his advice on what type of punishment to hand out. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The loss of a scholarship would be more acceptable than what they got. I'm starting to think the NCAA asked Rob Manfred for his advice on what type of punishment to hand out. 

I think a proper penalty would be that Mballa cannot play against the MAC champs.  That'll teach 'em.   ? 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

You all are obsessed with OU and their coach.

Because Boals was an assistant at Akron under Dambrot, is an OU alum (so he might stay even if he has success), and is a really good person from all accounts. Hard to hate him, and he is the best coach OU has had since Groce. Gonna be a fun rivalry for years to come. 

I've watched all the apparent contenders play at least once this year and also think OU is a step above the pack at this point.  

Buffalo played at BG last night in a key matchup and I wasn't much impressed with either.  It appeared that the Bulls might get a W on BG's floor then Turner just took over the game late to secure a Falcon win.  They don't have much behind him other than Plowden. BG is soft inside and was out rebounded significantly by the Bulls.

8 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Ha,... yes absolutely.  I'm really worried that our lack of seasoning may be a detriment as we begin conference play. Can't wait to see the new edition of the Zips.

+1. All these teams getting multiple games under their belts and our first game isn’t till Saturday ?

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Because Boals was an assistant at Akron under Dambrot, is an OU alum (so he might stay even if he has success), and is a really good person from all accounts. Hard to hate him, and he is the best coach OU has had since Groce. Gonna be a fun rivalry for years to come. 

Yeah, I ran into him in the airport before last season...seems like a lifetime ago.  He was down to earth and friendly.  But still...it's OU!

14 hours ago, NWAkron said:

You all are obsessed with OU and their coach.

I love to hate OU; great rivalry.

I like Boals.  Not as much as Groce, but I think Boals is also a great coach.

But that's neither here nor there.  I just am extremely impressed with OU's starting lineup.

F - Ben Vander Plas: an All-MAC caliber player and potential MAC POY type of talent

F - Dwight Wilson: they just got this guy (transfer from James Madison?) and he's a stud. 6-8, 250 & can play.  He, together with Vander Plas make for the best front court in the league. (Granted, I haven't seen the Zips play yet, but these two are tough.)

W - Ben Roderick: sophomore who is coming into his own.  Basically, he single-handedly led his team to the Ohio D-1 state semi-finals his senior year.

W - Lunden McDay: STVM's McDay is actually the weakest link of their starting 5, and Lunden's a very solid all-around baller.

PG - Jason Preston: this guys is special.  I hate to say it, but I think he's going to overtake LCJ for MAC POY.

Go Zips!

59 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I love to hate OU; great rivalry.

I like Boals.  Not as much as Groce, but I think Boals is also a great coach.

But that's neither here nor there.  I just am extremely impressed with OU's starting lineup.

F - Ben Vander Plas: an All-MAC caliber player and potential MAC POY type of talent

F - Dwight Wilson: they just got this guy (transfer from James Madison?) and he's a stud. 6-8, 250 & can play.  He, together with Vander Plas make for the best front court in the league. (Granted, I haven't seen the Zips play yet, but these two are tough.)

W - Ben Roderick: sophomore who is coming into his own.  Basically, he single-handedly led his team to the Ohio D-1 state semi-finals his senior year.

W - Lunden McDay: STVM's McDay is actually the weakest link of their starting 5, and Lunden's a very solid all-around baller.

PG - Jason Preston: this guys is special.  I hate to say it, but I think he's going to overtake LCJ for MAC POY.

Go Zips!

I just hate them.  Like PCCC better at least on odd days of the month.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, LoyalZIP said:

I was hoping for a more entertaining Sunday slate

NIU goes down by 52 to Iowa

Wright State dominates BG in the Stroh Center

Ohio loses by 14 @ Marshall

Kent beats Haut and NKU by 19

Milwaukee goes to WMU and pulls away late

Well Toledo has played 8 games (one against EMU).  Zips play them twice.  They have distinct advantage.  Groce will need to pull out a miracle to avoid being in bottom 4.

Buffalo looked great vs. 'Cuse for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately they had to go 45 minutes though.  Mballa has been a beast on the block since returning from injury. Don't see how anybody in the MAC slows him down. Maybe go right at him to try to get him in foul trouble and get Brock (The Statue) Bertram on the floor.