MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

29 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The only team that concerns me is Toledo.

After losing to DeKalb and Ypsilanti, they all concern me!

I worry about teams with two or three really good players as in a situation involving a single game a couple of them going off can allow them to pull an upset.  I see Toledo as the biggest threat, but BG, OU and maybe PCCC have the potential for couple of guys to get hot on a given night and get the Zips.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

After losing to DeKalb and Ypsilanti, they all concern me!

I worry about teams with two or three really good players as in a situation involving a single game a couple of them going off can allow them to pull an upset.  I see Toledo as the biggest threat, but BG, OU and maybe PCCC have the potential for couple of guys to get hot on a given night and get the Zips.

Yes, anything can happen in a single elimination game. What I was more so wanting to get at is the only team that I want to avoid playing as long as possible is Toledo. I like Akron's chances against any of the other teams.

• Like 1

I found this on the Toledo Rocket message board (their words not mine):

"With 3 weeks in the regular season left there is a big discrepancy in the number of games each of the top contenders have left due obviously to COVID postponements. In looking at the standings the top teams have the following number of games left on their schedule – Toledo (6) Akron (7), Kent (7) Ohio (9) and Buffalo (9). Now looking at the remaining schedule for the contenders, these are games still left to play with postponed games at the end
Toledo – Miami, @Buffalo, Open, WMU, @CMU, Ball St. – NIU (Postponed)

Akron - NIU, @Ball St, Open, BG, @ Buffalo, Miami, -- Buffalo, @Ohio, (Postponed)

Kent – @WMU, EMU, Open, @Miami, Ohio, @Buffalo, -- @EMU, @Ball St, (Postponed),

Ohio – Postponed, Open, Buffalo, @Kent @BG, -- @Miami, CMU,@NIU, EMU, Akron, @WMU,

Buffalo - @EMU, Toledo, Open, @Ohio, Akron, Kent, -- @NIU, CMU @Akron, @CMU, (Postponed)

With no games currently scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 23rd, everyone will be able to make up a game on that night. But that still leaves Akron and Kent with 1 additional game to play, Buffalo with 3 and Ohio with 5. Of those remaining postponed games left, for Toledo’s sake I hope they make up the Buffalo at Akron and Akron at Ohio games. With all that said, it will be interesting to see how the MAC schedules these postponed games and then how they go about seeding for the tournament."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Yes, anything can happen in a single elimination game. What I was more so wanting to get at is the only team that I want to avoid playing as long as possible is Toledo. I like Akron's chances against any of the other teams.

I think, for any MAC team, the farther a team advances in the tournament the more you have to look at the bench to see where teams can get a big hit (10 pts or more) to pull an upset. Toledo w/Sanders certainly fits that profile. Diggs at Bowling Green, Brewer at Buffalo and Sears at Ohio all come to mind. Might be others I'm missing. An experienced player w/live legs who can score on the third of three games/three days in a row is a bonus to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

So I've been searching for anything that would tell me what the MAC will do with all of the games to be made up. There is no way to make them all up with some teams still sitting at nine games played and others at 14. Everyone has Feb 23rd open so they could make up one game but would it make sense not to match up the teams that have played the most games, in other words should  the Zips, BGSU, Toledo and Kent sit it out to let everyone else get another game in. It is pretty apparent they are just going to go with best win percentage at this point for the standings/seeding. I've not seen anything out of the MAC office on their plan. And also one nit on eliminating divisions. If you're going to do it don't still have all of the East teams play each East team twice and all West teams play each West team twice. With a 20 game schedule you play only two teams only once. Make that random as to who those two teams are since it matters almost zero in the standings any more.

For the top 6, they get to go to Cleveland.   The problem the MAC has is if Western wins a few and either Ball State or Miami tank and there's a 2 or 3 way tie for that 8th spot.

Akron 11-3 

Toledo 11-3

Kent State 9-4

Ohio 7-4

Buffalo 7-4

Bowling Green 7-7

Miami (OH) 5-6

Ball State 5-6

Western Michigan 3-8

Central Michigan 2-9 

Eastern Michigan 1-7

Northern Illinois 1-8

Not that it is any big surprise but the Zips and Rockets have both clinched berths to Cleveland.

And a few new schedule updates - as we guessed Feb 23rd  is going to be used for some makeups.

Sunday, February 21
Western Michigan at Ball State -- From Tuesday, January 5 to Sunday, February 21 at 7 PM (ET)

Tuesday, February 23
Miami at Central Michigan – From Saturday, January 2 to Tuesday, February 23 at 5 PM (ET)
Buffalo at Northern Illinois -- From Saturday, January 23 to Tuesday, February 23 at 7 PM (ET)
Bowling Green at Eastern Michigan -- From Tuesday, February 2 to Tuesday, February 23 at 7 PM (ET)
Akron at Ohio -- From Tuesday, February 9 to Tuesday, February 23 at TBD

Wednesday, February 24
Kent State at Ball State – From Tuesday, January 26 to Wednesday, February 24 at 2 PM (ET)

Thursday, February 25
Miami at Western Michigan – From Saturday, January 16 to Thursday, February 25 at Noon
Central Michigan at Buffalo – From Tuesday, January 26 to Thursday, February 25 at 2 PM (ET)
Eastern Michigan at Ohio – From Saturday, February 6 to Thursday, February 25 at TBD

Friday, March 5
Ohio at Bowling Green – From Saturday, February 20 to Friday, March 5 at 7 PM (ET)

• Like 5