MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

How huge is that makeup game Tuesday at OU?  Obviously pending results from this coming Friday, both UT (@Canada) and UA (@Ball State) have tough games.

Nelsonville Junior College Kitten Attack is already gearing up and it isn't pretty:

https://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=1&PID=308998

Edited by NWAkron

12 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Interestingly Toledo is not included in the makeup games which I think means the Zips have a chance to have an even number of games with them. If the Zips win out (I know a tall order) I believe that would give them the #1 seed.

That was my take away too. I'm guessing it was intentional on the MAC's part that way it gives Akron, Ohio, and Kent all a chance to get to 19 games played. By my math Buffalo would be at 18. Those are the only teams that have any realistic chance at winning the MAC this year.

I think I read the NIT isn't guaranteeing a spot for conference champs who don't make the dance, so unless you care about a regular season championship a ton (which is nice, but the tourney is more important to me), I don't think the 1 vs the 2 seed is a big deal looking at potential match ups.

I wouldn't be shocked if Toledo preferred to have a week off to rest up.

Edited by LZIp

So according to the MAC web site these are the currently scheduled remaining number of games for each team. This is of course assuming that these all actually get played. This also depends on how much you trust the MAC web site since they currently have a final score listed for a non-existent CMU-WMU game on this coming Saturday. So anyway max number of games looks like 19 (several) , minimum number 14 (EMU, NIU).

Toledo 12-3 - 4 games remaining

Akron 11-3 - 5 games remaining

Kent State 10-4 - 5 games remaining

Ohio 7-4 - 5 games remaining

Buffalo 7-4 - 6 games remaining

Bowling Green 8-7 - 4 games remaining

Miami 5-7 - 6 games remaining

Ball State 5-7 - 6 games remaining

Western Michigan 3-9 - 5 games remaining

Central Michigan 2-9 - 5 games remaining

Eastern Michigan 1-7 - 6 games remaining

Northern Illinois 1-8 - 5 games remaining

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Welp, that partially explains the shooting.

The intensity differences in this game are why I was pissed about Cedarville being the "warmup" game. We've had to figure out DI speed on the fly against a good team. 

16 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When is it ever pretty over there? They've been cranky ever since Groce left 'em. 

Bobcats will not have played in 3 weeks and still have multiple players out. Not gonna be pretty.

17 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When is it ever pretty over there? They've been cranky ever since Groce left 'em. 

14 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

fify..

image.png

Saw this on their message board and laughed, but then realized you gotta dig deep when your team has finished above Akron in the MAC standings exactly TWICE in the last EIGHTEEN YEARS.

And this is why if I had to pick one or the other (not that there was ever a choice), I would have preferred to get the COVID issues out of the way in preseason/OOC compared to conference play. Its much more important than the chance to take Illinois to OT.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

So with the Zips and Rockets now scheduled to play an even number of games 🤞 what happens if they tie? Since they have each won a game against each other, The Zips actually have the upper hand in most cases (beaten Ball St and BGSU while Toledo has lost to both since both are much higher in the standings than who the Zips have lost to) with the upcoming exception of Buffalo. Both Akron and Toledo go to Buffalo. If one team wins there and one loses the winner almost certainly gets the higher seed). There is still a possibility of the sort same thing occurring with Ohio (since Toledo will only play them once - and beat them) but with both teams going to Buffalo that seems to be the most critical one to decide the top seed should a tie occur. And also its even possible with Buffalo and Ohio playing fewer games a 12-4 Buffalo or Ohio team would leapfrog either a 14-5 Akron or Toledo team so both still have the #1 seed in play. Not even to mention Ravenna Auto and Cosmetology Tech lurking right there too, although they only have four losses and all of them are to the Zips and Rockets.

Edited by MDZip

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

So with the Zips and Rockets now scheduled to play an even number of games 🤞 what happens if they tie? Since they have each won a game against each other, The Zips actually have the upper hand in most cases (beaten Ball St and BGSU while Toledo has lost to both since both are much higher in the standings than who the Zips have lost to) with the upcoming exception of Buffalo. Both Akron and Toledo go to Buffalo. If one team wins there and one loses the winner almost certainly gets the higher seed). There is still a possibility of the sort same thing occurring with Ohio (since Toledo will only play them once - and beat them) but with both teams going to Buffalo that seems to be the most critical one to decide the top seed should a tie occur. And also its even possible with Buffalo and Ohio playing fewer games a 12-4 Buffalo or Ohio team would leapfrog either a 14-5 Akron or Toledo team so both still have the #1 seed in play. Not even to mention Ravenna Auto and Cosmetology Tech lurking right there too, although they only have four losses and all of them are to the Zips and Rockets.

https://getsomemaction.com/sports/2015/3/4/MBB_0304150307.aspx

20 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Right that's why I was unraveling what games are most important as far as those tie-breakers go. But it doesn't say anything about an unequal number of games which they should include there. And there also a need to update it since there are no longer divisions

2 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Right that's why I was unraveling what games are most important as far as those tie-breakers go. But it doesn't say anything about an unequal number of games which they should include there. And there also a need to update it since there are no longer divisions

I posted the link because I couldn't explain it.  LOL.

My though is that head to head is even.  Winning percentage is even.  You then go to winning percentage of ranked teams, which you could interpret as the 8 teams that make the tournament.   That could be good for the Zips as their losses against EMU and NIU would not count in that calculation.  How's that for some jibberish?

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I posted the link because I couldn't explain it.  LOL.

My though is that head to head is even.  Winning percentage is even.  You then go to winning percentage of ranked teams, which you could interpret as the 8 teams that make the tournament.   That could be good for the Zips as their losses against EMU and NIU would not count in that calculation.  How's that for some jibberish?

You are correct - which is why I was discussing the Buffalo game as they would be a high ranked team that Akron and Toledo would still have to get through - and that could be the determining factor if the two are still tied at the end of the year. I just did it in a much more long winded way 🙂 Bobcats have already beaten the Bulls so they could own the tiebreaker against them and move up in the rankings (but they also still have a game against each other).

• Like 1