MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

17 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Maybe just wanted them to rest?

Well, then he should just be honest about it.  I think we all remember after the final game last year he said that the game wasn't that important, etc, even though he looked like he was trying very hard to win.

27 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

Sorry update 

Eastern Michigan AD Scott Wetherbee told @Stadium that he intends to meet with coach Rob Murphy in the coming days, that he hasn’t made a final decision on Murphy’s future yet.

Rob seems like a good guy but his formula isn't working.   That style of play won't put any butts in the empty arena in Ypsilanti 

26 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm kind of surprised to see both EMU and NIU make coaching changes during the pandemic. Neither program has invested much into their basketball programs in a long while so one would think they would try to keep costs down.

Murphy is in the last year of his contract.   Mark Montgomery was also in his 10th year.  

17 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

Toledo’s Jackson POY

I guess that's the nod for winning the regular season league title.

I have no problem with the first team selections.  I think it is telling  that the Zips don't have anyone on the second or third teams with only Trimble making honorable mention.

43 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I guess that's the nod for winning the regular season league title.

I have no problem with the first team selections.  I think it is telling  that the Zips don't have anyone on the second or third teams with only Trimble making honorable mention.

The only team in the top six that had only one selection in the first through third teams. Where would we be without LCJ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

The only team in the top six that had only one selection in the first through third teams. Where would we be without LCJ?

Good call.  2nd in rebounding, 1st in blocks, 1st in field goal percentage in the league should get you something.

I do see he made the all defensive team.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, monrowe said:

Enrique Freeman, is better than Josh Mballa.

Jayvon Graves should have been a first team pick.

Freeman sort of gets screwed.

He is not on the all freshman team because he is a soph.

BUT

He played all of 5 minutes last season, he really is a freshman.

AND he is the best defensive player in the MAC. By the numbers! Should have been all conference.

What postseason opportunities will the MAC see? We know 1 team will be in the NCAA and we know Toledo will be in the NIT should they not win the title in Cleveland but what about the other teams? Can someone else make the NIT? Is there even a CBI being played this year? I think I heard the CiT was cancelled. If the Zips do not win the MAC tourney, should they accept a postseason bid to something other than the NCAA?

24 minutes ago, GJGood said:

What postseason opportunities will the MAC see? We know 1 team will be in the NCAA and we know Toledo will be in the NIT should they not win the title in Cleveland but what about the other teams? Can someone else make the NIT? Is there even a CBI being played this year? I think I heard the CiT was cancelled. If the Zips do not win the MAC tourney, should they accept a postseason bid to something other than the NCAA?

The NIT is only inviting 16 teams.  Runner up may not get the call even if it is Toledo.  

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

NCAA or bust. With the number of programs hurting financially after this college sports year, the CBI, CIT, etc., where you have to fork over some cash to host or travel, don't make sense at all. NIT field is halved (ridiculous, by the way) to boot. 

Outside of the Zips, I haven't watched a lick of college basketball this year. Without the atmosphere, it loses its luster with me. I'm most likely going to be picking my bracket based on if I like the mascot or the primary color. These are typically the brackets that do well, though, right? 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

There's a theory on the Kent board that a "season ticket holder" heard Pippen punched Hamilton and that's why neither of them went to Buffalo last week. Amazing if true.

Yeah usually they punch players on the other team.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Comparing LCJ to Marreon, LCJ scored 4.2 ppg more than Jackson. Their assist and turonver numbers are essentially equal, but Jackson averaged 3.3 more rpg.

In the end, if the Zips win the MAC regular season, LCJ might have had a chance to repeat.

Jerron Coleman, could have been considered for POY if he wasn’t plagued by injuries.

Dukie is out with a positive Corona test. 

Just over a year ago a positive test brought the NBA to a halt. Hopefully the NCAA has a better handle on things, knowing what we know now about COVID and sports.