MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

I'm an OU grad and fan.  No way he's a first round prospect.  Those guys are just showing their ignorance -- likely haven't even seen him play.  He's got a weird but compelling combination of skills, but that's not enough in the NBA.  Not fast enough, strong enough or a good enough passer or shooter to contribute at that level IMO.  I love his story and he's fun to watch, but come on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

They compared him to Lamelo Ball and I thought that was an interesting/apt comparison. Is he as talented? I don't know. But they play a similar game

A decent comparison in that both have some ball skills but in many ways are unorthodox. Ball is bigger and more athletic which helps his game a lot. Preston, to me, seems almost fragile. When he plays a lot of games in a short period of time, he seems to lose some steam. This run has been perfect for him; 11 days off before MAC Tournament - three game run - now another week off.

He'll be a G-League all-star for sure, and a good 10-day call-up when a team needs immediate help. But for the long haul of the NBA season, unless he physically matures more than he has so far, I don't see it.

Edited by RoyalBlu

BG men's basketball coach, Michael Huger, should be moving on shortly

Former Xenia star Samari Curtis transferring to Bowling Green

Samari Curtis has a new home again. The former Xenia High School scoring star, who was named Ohio’s Mr. Basketball two years ago, announced Monday he is transferring to Bowling Green.

The search for a college home has been a challenging one for Curtis, a guard who led the GWOC in scoring three times and averaged 33.8 points per game as a senior. He initially committed to Xavier but reconsidered after coach Chris Mack left for Louisville. Curtis then signed with Cincinnati, but he was released from his letter of intent after coach Mick Cronin left for UCLA. Nebraska was the next choice for Curtis, who was impressed in a whirlwind recruitment by newly hired coach Fred Hoiberg. Curtis only played eight games for the Cornhuskers before opting to leave Lincoln, though, and ended up at Evansville.

In another twist of fate, the Aces coach Walter McCarty was fired shortly after Curtis arrived at the school in southwest Indiana. After sitting out a year to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, Curtis played 17 games for the Purple Aces last season. He averaged 10.1 points and shot 38 percent from 3-point range playing for new coach Todd Lickliter. Bowling Green went 14-11 last season in its sixth year under head coach Michael Huger, a BG alum.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, The Hip Zip said:

Preston is a great story, no doubt about it, and I'm happy that the Kittens took down the Bulls. Hopefully the Canadians extend Whitesell's contract. He's no Nate Oats.

In the Buffalo game thread, I believe someone said they aren't sure what Buffalo's weakness is. I didn't want to jinx anything, so I kept my mouth shut, but I almost responded with Whitesell. Buffalo is the most talented team in the MAC and should barely lose a game in the MAC, let alone lose by double digits. He's a mediocre coach at best. 

On 3/14/2021 at 8:46 PM, ZIPS96 said:

Toledo & Buffalo in NIT

Wow. Buffalo got in on pedigree from their NCAA tourney performances the last few years. 

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Amazing. Someone took a Dambrot OOC schedule and made a postseason tournament out of it. What a waste of time for BG, especially with Turner, Diggs, and Plowden being seniors (usually you can justify a tourney like this if you're trying to get a young group more experience). 

• Like 1

I think hiring Whitesell at Buffalo would have been like hiring Rick McFadden here when Dambrot left. All of the talent that initially left would have instead stayed, and there would be some success, but nothing much would come of it. On the surface, it's nice to keep those guys around and still be decent, but once their big 3 of Williams, Segu, Mballa either don't play well or leave, they will be middle of the pack at best.