MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

Not sure why there why there is all this hate against Shaka.  I went to Michigan to watch that game and his team played extremely quick and just were much better than us.  I thought Tree was the only player for Akron that looked good.  I guess people thought that Shaka ran up the score but that was just their style of play.  They played pressure and put the ball up quick.   I believe they stopped the pressure the last 5 minutes of the game.  I remember KD was not upset by their style of play after the game. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Not sure why there why there is all this hate against Shaka.  I went to Michigan to watch that game and his team played extremely quick and just were much better than us.  I thought Tree was the only player for Akron that looked good.  I guess people thought that Shaka ran up the score but that was just their style of play.  They played pressure and put the ball up quick.   I believe they stopped the pressure the last 5 minutes of the game.  I remember KD was not upset by their style of play after the game. 

I was there too. You can stop pressing when you're up 40 especially against a shorthanded team you have a history with. I wouldn't expect KD to say much else. Coach how you want, but don't expect it to generate any future good will.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I was there too. You can stop pressing when you're up 40 especially against a shorthanded team you have a history with. I wouldn't expect KD to say much else. Coach how you want, but don't expect it to generate any future good will.

You make a fair point.  I took my 2 sons with me to the game and there were some highlights to the trip:  Saw a really good game before the Akron game that was between Michigan and South Dakota State, saw the Henry Ford museum, and my kids loved the mall near our hotel.  Unfortunately, the Akron game was not one of the good highlights of the trip.  However, I do remember the excitement of the people on this board that Akron got a game close to home and we had a lot of Akron fans at the game.  Glad to see that you also made the trip. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, RowdyZip said:

Not sure if it was mentioned on this thread, but per some folks on the MAC bbs board, Nuga has entered the portal for Kent and El-Amin for Ball State.  Two big losses for the conference.  

Coaches will really need to be good at nurturing those relationships with recruits/athletes going forward.  

It will be Nuga's 6th season and third stop in 21-22.  He made great progress from being a fairly average Big Sky guard at Portland State with reasonable 3-point accuracy to the #2 scorer on a decent PCCC club.  That said, there's little to no chance he will contribute much at any high major.  I saw his PSU team a few times, he played alongside Holland Woods who transferred to play for Bobby Hurley this season at AZ State and he had a rough time, only getting in double figures six times after averaging 17 and 6 assists in PDX.  Nuga averaged 11 ppg as a junior at PSU.

El-Amin (who's played only four years, but I guess will get just one more Covid season) will get looks from high majors, has a good ability to get his shot off but isn't in the skill category to lead a ranked-level ball club IMHO, only averages 2 assts/gm.  He might make a team like Northwestern or Nebraska better.  I hope they both prove me wrong and become high major stars... 😉

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

It will be Nuga's 6th season and third stop in 21-22.  He made great progress from being a fairly average Big Sky guard at Portland State with reasonable 3-point accuracy to the #2 scorer on a decent PCCC club.  That said, there's little to no chance he will contribute much at any high major.  I saw his PSU team a few times, he played alongside Holland Woods who transferred to play for Bobby Hurley this season at AZ State and he had a rough time, only getting in double figures six times after averaging 17 and 6 assists in PDX.  Nuga averaged 11 ppg as a junior at PSU.

El-Amin (who's played only four years, but I guess will get just one more Covid season) will get looks from high majors, has a good ability to get his shot off but isn't in the skill category to lead a ranked-level ball club IMHO, only averages 2 assts/gm.  He might make a team like Northwestern or Nebraska better.  I hope they both prove me wrong and become high major stars... 😉

You also have to wonder how heavily he will be recruited off of a serious knee injury.  

6 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I was also there. The excitement was incredible and I hope to again experience it soon. I lost all respect for Shaka when he had his starters in with a 40 point lead and the game was near the end. I don't care how good of friend he is to KD, that's showing no class. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I was also there. The excitement was incredible and I hope to again experience it soon. I lost all respect for Shaka when he had his starters in with a 40 point lead and the game was near the end. I don't care how good of friend he is to KD, that's showing no class. 

The build up was exciting, the game was a nightmare. I did stay for the whole game, but not saying I watched it all. Too painful. Oh well, it's long over. Seeing Shaka from time to time and especially last night/today on the anniversary just got me riled up. Damn you Facebook memories! 😉

28 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That was such a great year.  19 game win streak...excitement building...5 pounds of weed in the stove...awful NCAA draw...pop!

5-1 against Kent and OU was my favorite part aside from winning the MAC tournament in blowout fashion. That team was just different, and the 19-20 team felt very similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

5-1 against Kent and OU was my favorite part aside from winning the MAC tournament in blowout fashion. That team was just different, and the 19-20 team felt very similar.

I think the MAC Championship victory against OU was my favorite of KD's tenure. We were still reeling from Abreu's arrest and not only did we beat OU, we broke their spirit with about 3 or 4 minutes to go I think. You could see some OU players posture droop and it was over. Great effort and coaching job.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I think the MAC Championship victory against OU was my favorite of KD's tenure. We were still reeling from Abreu's arrest and not only did we beat OU, we broke their spirit with about 3 or 4 minutes to go I think. You could see some OU players posture droop and it was over. Great effort and coaching job.

Letting Harney think he could play the point came back to bite KD in the butt the following season. After he was told no he spent the whole season sulking and fighting with the other players. He really thought he could be a point guard.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Letting Harney think he could play the point came back to bite KD in the butt the following season. After he was told no he spent the whole season sulking and fighting with the other players. He really thought he could be a point guard.

I really thought he could be a prison guard.

My least favorite Zip of all time.  Sulking, whining, fighting, bad attitude...

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I really thought he could be a prison guard.

My least favorite Zip of all time.  Sulking, whining, fighting, bad attitude...

I was curious to see if Harney was still playing and the past 3 years he has been playing professonal ball in Mexico averaging around 12 points per game.

Here's a short article about why investing in basketball and football is worth it.  This is why I've suggested for a while now that there should not be an athletics budget, but that athletics should be lumped under marketing.

Abilene Christian President Claims March Madness Upset was Worth $120-Million to School

38 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here's a short article about why investing in basketball and football is worth it.  This is why I've suggested for a while now that there should not be an athletics budget, but that athletics should be lumped under marketing.

Abilene Christian President Claims March Madness Upset was Worth $120-Million to School

Interesting stuff.  Thanks for posting.

It begs the question though of how a one win in two years football team helps with marketing.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1