MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

True.  And then this year when we get annihilated on national tv by Auburn and Ohio State... 🤬🤬🤬

They should apportion the $3 million or so they get from those games in proportion to the success of the various programs.   We'll call it the Clarkie Success Initiative.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Here's a short article about why investing in basketball and football is worth it.  This is why I've suggested for a while now that there should not be an athletics budget, but that athletics should be lumped under marketing.

Abilene Christian President Claims March Madness Upset was Worth $120-Million to School

Question. Would marketing rise to the level of the athletic programs (i.e. soccer and basketball success), or would the athletic programs drop to the level of our marketing department? Because our marketing department is atrocious. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

According to EMU board it's a three-man race: Thomas, Earl Boykins, Stan Heath. Boykins now an assistant at Arkansas, Heath, I believe, is coaching in the NBA G-League. All three are former players at EMU.

Edited by RoyalBlu

If you wanted to better understand the overall effects of basketball players getting an extra year of eligibility, Steve Czaban recently conducted a nice interview with DeMatha HS HC Mike Jones. You can listen to it here

It is lengthy (over 1 hour total), but for the most part is all interesting stuff. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Explains why his heart wasn't in the NIT game. Didn't want to injure himself. He was already on to bigger and better things. #foreverarocket

One of my least favorite MAC players and not because he hurt the Zips in a few games.  Good riddance. 

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I hear they are going to make a splash by hiring Steve Hawkins or Mark Montgomery.

Don't laugh ... Hawkins actually makes a lot of sense. His teams (when healthy) were actually pretty solid MAC teams. Like most everyone else, his teams were hit hard by transfers over the last 10 years. He's a solid coach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

Don't laugh ... Hawkins actually makes a lot of sense. His teams (when healthy) were actually pretty solid MAC teams. Like most everyone else, his teams were hit hard by transfers over the last 10 years. He's a solid coach.

He's a solid coach as in a brick and we all know how well a brick rises to the top. He could never deliver and at best was a mediocre coach. They can do better.

6 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

I'm going. to laugh. :)

23 hours ago, RoyalBlu said:

I would've been pissed had the Browns hired Jeff Fisher instead of Stefanski. Accurate comparison. 

Hawkins had a nice run in the early 2000's and from 2010 to 2015.  After that, his teams looked short on talent.  He stopped getting top talent and some of the talent he got bailed.  I think teams on the MAC level will be more interested in finding a young up and comer rather than a 58 year old retread.  He certainly knows the conference and might do a passable job buy no one s going to get in line for a guy of that age and so far under .500 in his last 5 seasons.