MAC Men’s Basketball - Catch-all Thread

16 minutes ago, bigzipguy said:

Most conference game are tough, especially on the road. Is Kent better than  BSU ??  Yea I would say so. So big losses on the road are not always reasons to be overly concerned.

especially, when the home team has had time to rest and the away team is grinding out with long bus rides.

3 inconsequential and blow out games on the MAC agenda today:

Miami at Kalamazoo

Hurons head to Hocking Hills

And Keno Davis (who still has 3 years on his contract) leads the Chippewas (who just lost by 50 to Miami) into Niagara Falls to take on the Bulls.  They would have more success going over the Falls in a barrell.

Edited by NWAkron

2 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

At the half in Athens, Buffalo up 52-32 on OU.

The only game set for Cleveland is Toledo v Ball State.  I got my calculator out and Akron could be as high as #2 and as low as 6.  Not sure who wins a tie breaker between Zips and BG.  Those two wins v Kent may make the difference.  

If Akron wins final two games (14-5), they are #2 seed even if Kent wins their last two.   Miami beat Ball State this season so would be an Akron v Miami first round.   If Akron loses one (13-6), they will need some help from Kent.    If Akron loses to Buffalo and beats Miami, they would need Kent to lose to Ohio and beat Buffalo and then have BG beat Ohio to get back to #2.  Now if Ohio wins both games and finishes at 11-5. they would have a slightly better  winning % than Akron at 12-6 (or would they use a tiebreaker which would go to Akron since Zips beat Toledo once and Ohio lost).    Stay tuned.  Once Akron, drops from #2 seed, no idea what their first round will be...probably Kent.

If Akron loses last two games and finishes season 0-4, unless there is some 3 dimensional chess going on I think the Zips are toast and time to fire up the transfer portal.  Was it 2 years ago, I thought BG tanked their game at the JAR because they were already locked into a top 4 seed?  Of course, Pinky said the same thing last year...game didn't matter to him.

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

There was much trepidation about playing OU for 3rd time last year after beating them twice in tough games.    PCCC and Pippen would be q better semi final match up.   His knees won't last

Problem with playing them again is like playing three different teams with the same name: first game they had Nuga and it was a nailbiter to the finish; second game they didn't have Nuga or Hamilton and Zips shredded them with the long ball; now they still will be w/o Nuga, but Hamilton is back and more importantly they have had time to get their new act together. Unlike before they won't hold up in a shootout with the Zips w/o Nuga. But the argument can be made their defense has improved while the Zips .... well.

That said, Buffalo, Ohio, BG all can put a knot in the stomach right now for the Zips along with Akron's neighbors. So does it really matter. Let's just play ball.

• Like 1

For those hoping to be the regular season champs and be at least guaranteed a spot in the NIT, that isn't going to happen (for whoever is the champ).  It is now a 16 team field - all by invitiation.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30985941/nit-downsizes-16-teams-hold-entire-tournament-dallas-forth-worth-area

1 hour ago, zipsrule said:

For those hoping to be the regular season champs and be at least guaranteed a spot in the NIT, that isn't going to happen (for whoever is the champ).  It is now a 16 team field - all by invitiation.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30985941/nit-downsizes-16-teams-hold-entire-tournament-dallas-forth-worth-area

I guess it's called the NIT for a reason.  Ready for this to wind up.   Was a brutal season and Groce and staff learned the hard way which players were up to the task.   Look forward to those J&J vaccines getting in everyone's arms and the chance for Groce and Co to build characters, good attitudes,  and unity for next year.  But there's still a chance.  Go Zips.

16 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I guess it's called the NIT for a reason.  Ready for this to wind up.   Was a brutal season and Groce and staff learned the hard way which players were up to the task.   Look forward to those J&J vaccines getting in everyone's arms and the chance for Groce and Co to build characters, good attitudes,  and unity for next year.  But there's still a chance.  Go Zips.

Question comes a week or so early but ....

What Zips seniors should return for one more year; LCJ is clearly no NBA proapect. Should he leave his mark deeper in the JAR or head overseas. And the others???

12 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

Question comes a week or so early but ....

What Zips seniors should return for one more year; LCJ is clearly no NBA proapect. Should he leave his mark deeper in the JAR or head overseas. And the others???

LCJ has a baby and a fiance.   Europe would be tough but what do I know?  Who is the other senior?  Maishe?

43 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He needs to make sure his family is taken care of. 

I don't think the baby has to be the primary reason LCJ would leave. My mom had me at 18 years old, at the end of her freshman year at YSU. She ended up with a Masters degree. He can stick around if that's what he wanted. I'm sure he has a good network of people to help out.

That said, doesn't he already have 2 Masters degrees? At some point you gotta move on.

I'd love to see him return for another final season just because he got jobbed out of an NCAA tourney appearance in 2020, and then endured a full pandemic season of empty arenas and on-line classes.  Crappy way to go out for a "rafterable" player.

• Like 1