2020 Zips in Pro Leagues - Domestic and International

It’s extremely difficult for me to think of the Columbus Crew without my friend and their hometown Captain Wil Trapp. The 3+ hour round trip drive to attend Crew matches always felt shorter knowing I’d get to visit with Wil and his family and to see him play. I’m very happy to see the fans and media recognize the player whom they have lost. I hope this is his opportunity to continue to grow and improve his game. Zips, Crew, Miami, ..., forever a Wil Trapp fan!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Abdi Mohamed.

Former Memphis Player Joins Cousin on Greenville Squad

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

this article does not talk about uniforms....but Darlington Nagbe will be wearing #6 for the Crew (Wil's old number)

https://www.massivereport.com/2020/2/5/21125496/columbus-crew-replacing-wil-trapp-darlington-nagbe-artur-aidan-morris-sebastian-berhalter-mls-2020

#6 shirt has recently become available.

Edited by fknbuflobo

https://gaffer.online/features/football/deandre-yedlin-crystal-ann-rod-on-sharing-clothes-the-culture-and-becoming-a-creative-power-couple/

... Crystal: There’s a long list! One of the most amazing things is that we read a lot now. I didn’t really start reading books until I met him. We now go through three books a month. It’s making me smarter, a better person. 

What books are on your shelf right now?

DeAndre: It’s a mix. There’s a lot of self-help, mental health books to help us keep our minds right. A lot about goal setting. It goes under the radar, especially when you talk about athletes. So much of the game is mental but we only train 100% physical. Which doesn’t really make any sense. It’s very important to have refreshers on self-happiness, there’s so many things we go through as humans that it’s important to be able to clear up your mind. It’s a really good skill to have. I say skill because we’ve learned to beat ourselves up, talk ourselves down, when we don’t need to. If you can re-learn the skills of positive thought then it can do wonders in life. 

Crystal: Goal-setting is another big thing which DeAndre has taught me. I knew it was a thing before but he sat down with me and walked me through it. It’s another amazing way which I’ve changed; mapping everything out has helped me grow as a person and achieve things. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

was not sure....where to post this

Liam Curran was the zips goal keeper coach for the 2010 national champions (GK coach from 2010 to 2012)

Very talented coach...and was part of a great coaching staff in 2010.

Liam started off in 2016 working for the Atlanta United Academy...

then moved to the USL Atlanta team

and will now get to work with Brad Guzan and others as he is now the MLS Atlanta team goal keeper coach

Congratulations, Liam and thanks for all that you did for the zips from 2010 to 2012

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

Thanks @TennZip I'm out of "likes" at the moment but will "like" your post when I can. 

“I JUST KNEW I WAS GOING TO END UP PLAYING D1 SOCCER”

“Going into my senior year, I still didn’t have any real offers. I had a few NAIA offers from smaller schools, but I just knew I was going to end up playing D1 soccer. I don’t know how I knew, and looking back, it’s kind of crazy. I just KNEW. And my coaches, especially Brian Quinn, really believed in me.”

“During my senior year, I still didn’t have any D1 offers. And Quinn sent my highlight video to Akron. He really advocated for me. Quinn believed in me, and he knew I could play D1 soccer at a top program. Caleb Porter and the staff and Akron really trusted Quinn, so they gave me a look.”

PREFERRED WALK-ON AT AKRON

I asked Jake if he had “that feeling” when he went on a visit to Akron — the feeling when a player steps foot on a college campus and just knows this is the right school. Sarah Trent had that feeling. So did Sydney Sparks. Jake did, too. “I went on an official visit during my senior year. And, yeah, I knew it was the place for me. I loved it. They offered me a preferred walk-on spot on the roster. That means no athletic scholarship money, but I didn’t care. Akron is a huge D1 soccer program, and getting onto the roster was great. My grades in high school got me some academic money, too, so I got into the school and had some scholarship money.”

Stay tuned for next week!

SPOILER ALERT: HE WAS IN GOAL DURING A PK SHOOTOUT AGAINST JORDAN MORRIS! ... I'll comment that although that PK shootout didn't end in our favor, we got to that shootout because of Jake's stellar performance throughout that match, and our Zips shut out Jordan Morris that day.

Also, for those who might not know, Brian Quinn is Aodhan Quinn's father.

• Like 1

USL Championship Fans’ Choice Save of the Week – Week 1

By USLChampionship.com Staff, 03/13/20, 12:00PM EDT

SENSATIONAL STOP BY LOUISVILLE CITY FC’S BEN LUNDT CLAIMS THE WEEKLY HONOR

A spectacular save by Louisville City FC’s Ben Lundt has claimed the USL Championship Fans’ Choice Save of the Week for Week 1 of the 2020 regular season. The 6-foot-6 shot-stopper needed every inch of his frame to squeeze a header by Robbie Kristo onto the crossbar and out in LouCity’s 1-0 road win against NCFC, claiming 64 percent of the poll.

Edited by Zip_ME87