2020 Zips in Pro Leagues - Domestic and International

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks @TennZip  With the return of EPL, then MLS, and now USL, I've been enjoying seeing our former Zips in action. With the financial situation at UA, I haven't been on the board too much. It's too depressing.

I feel bad for the staff losing their jobs and for the athletes losing their Zips teams and the support they deserve. The people who should be losing their jobs are the ones who have failed and continue to fail to lead UA's academic programs as well as athletics. For example, the Navy invested in a one-of-a kind corrosion engineering program at UA, about which I hear nothing. What is happening with that program. How about other STEM-type programs...Is UA winning its share of work under various government and other R&D solicitations? As far as athletics, where's the marketing? I suggested some time ago that UA needs to offer customization of the apparel it sells. Is it really that difficult to that in this day and age of internet business. I notice on this board that various fans seem to have their favorite UA logo...the Z, the ARoo, the kangaroo, the moving A...Can't UA make it possible to buy apparel with your favorite UA-licensed logo. And why not make it possible for any fan to buy some of the special apparel given away to donors that give certain amounts...free to certain level donors, but charge otherwise. Are UA''s "big" donors that petty that they would prefer to have exclusive apparel that would still get free, but hat UA could sell to others and boost the bottom-line.

I hope our current Zips are well and that our international players are able to return to campus. Out of respect for all of them, I've not tried to go by campus and see if there's any conditioning, etc. going. I'd love to see them, but even though I don't have any health issues oh which I'm aware, I won't take a chance of carrying anything of which I may not be aware to our coaches, staff, and players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joao Moutinho (criminally underrated???) - not by Zips fans

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/07/20/armchair-analyst-good-bad-every-team-mls-back-tournament-thus-far

Pareja's actively helping young players like Chris Mueller and Joao Moutinho (a criminally underrated attacking LB) level up into something more than just names on the roster, 

Good Takeaway: The reclamation process for Jonathan Lewis — scoring that goal above — and Kellyn Acosta continues apace. The Rapids bet big on unlocking productivity from these two obviously talented players, and there is mounting evidence that both bets were good.

I'm going to assume Lewis will start the final Group Stage match, for what it's worth. He offers a directness that none of the other winger options manages, and at some point you have to let him play through the "young player" mistakes and just get him out there because he gets you goals. 10g/8a in ~1700 MLS minutes is a statement, and Robin Fraser should listen.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/07/31/joao-moutinho-has-extra-special-feeling-after-scoring-against-ex-team-lafc

He (Joao ) conceded that the goal was “extra special,” despite the subdued celebration, as Orlando continue their remarkable run into the semifinals.

“I still have a lot of friends and a lot of people that I respect back there at LAFC,” said Moutinho, who was traded to Orlando in December 2018. “I spent a good year there so I made some friendships and yeah, I guess it might have that extra special feeling. But honestly I just feel so happy that I was able to help the team in the situation that we needed, and happy I got the goal and that we won penalties."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2020-07-31/joao-moutinho-helps-orlando-city-eliminate-lafc-from-mls-is-back-tournament

“It all comes down to our game plan,” Moutinho said. “We were trying to make a statement there, trying to show the other team that we came out here to play and impose our game on them.

“It was a very good defensive performance by us. We’ve been showing it throughout the tournament.”

fantastic article on Joao

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-soccer/os-sp-orlando-city-joao-moutinho-20200805-idmnel5vm5egpbyrynhmjz3obq-story.html

But his most important contribution during tournament matches doesn’t show up on the stat sheet. Moutinho has become a constant, physical nuisance for attackers, breaking up passes and creating a smothering presence that presses all the way up into the attacking third.

Against LAFC, that meant shutting down Diego Rossi, quieting a striker who had scored six times in four games before facing the Lions.

Moutinho’s bullish presence on the ball has earned the respect of teammates across the pitch.

• Like 2