Game 14- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

The Zips open MAC play Saturday with a visit to 10-3 Eastern Michigan.  EMU's three losses were to UNLV, Michigan State and UC Irvine.  The rest of their OOC schedule was pretty nondescript.

6-8 junior forward Ty Grove leads all EMU scorers at 12.2 ppg.  7 foot senior center  Boubacar Toure leads rebounding at 7.8 rpg.  Eastern was picked to finish last in the West in the MAC Preseason Poll.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Driving up Friday night to see my kids/grandkids and going to this one Saturday after breakfast at The Bomber....son/daughter-in-law haven't been in their arena since their graduations in 2008, 2009.  Asked for a sidebet, but they said "Dad, you raised us Zip fans..." awwww ain't it great when the listen ?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Driving up Friday night to see my kids/grandkids and going to this one Saturday after breakfast at The Bomber....son/daughter-in-law haven't been in their arena since their graduations in 2008, 2009.  Asked for a sidebet, but they said "Dad, you raised us Zip fans..." awwww ain't it great when the listen ?

Some quality parenting.

12 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Eastern Michigan looks to have size again, but that doesn't seem to have much benefited them in the recent past.  It seems like Toure has been there for a decade.

Is John Thompson IV back for his 10,000th year of college ball?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Is John Thompson III back for his 10,000th year of college ball?

Seems like he was there forever.  He's playing in Italy.  It's actually James the IV.  John the 3rd was the coach who led Georgetown basketball into obscurity.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20200102/university-of-akron-menrsquos-basketball-leadership-paving-way-for-zipsrsquo-early-on-court-success

I swear GT edited his first version while I was posting this.  He still has EMs record wrong.

You’re probably correct. He seems to sometimes post his first rough draft while he’s editing.

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

Likely will end up making this trip as well. Any recommendations on places to eat in  Ypsi/Ann Arbor?

YES, here are a few of my favorites with a short description (in no particular order):

1) Isalita= (GF works there) high end Mexican food with amazing margs. My favorite is called the frozen blood orange blackberry marg. SO GOOD.

2) Frita Batidos= CUBAN Chorizo burgers! Limited family style seating though.

3) Jerusalem Gardens= phenomenal Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food that you 100% can't get in Oh. Trust me.

4) Gratzi= Fancy authentic Italian. Spectacular food but have only eaten there once do to the price $$$.

5) Pretzel Bell= includes a basketball court on the ceiling very fun for the family featuring comfort food.

6) Tomukun Korean BBQ (personal favorite)= very fun and hands on experience you can't get anywhere locally. 

Again, these are just a few of my favorites that would be different than something you would or could get in Ohio. For that reason I excluded pizza and burger joints. If you want standardized  bar food I would recommend either Brown Jug or Blue Leprechaun.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LZIp said:

Likely will end up making this trip as well. Any recommendations on places to eat in  Ypsi/Ann Arbor?

Since it's an early game, if you get there early enough and want a fabulously greasy huge breakfast hit Bomber on Michigan Ave just on outskirts of campus...I'll be there.  After game if you want another great early dinner go to Ann Arbor to Paisano's right on Washtenaw.  And if you stay later a truly awesome wine bar/restaurant in Ann Arbor called Vinology on Main Street....