Game 14- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

When this team hits the 3 ball well they will always be tough to beat.  The Zips did a great job with ball movement after the first 10 minutes of the game.  Jackson really played well  by shooting the outside shot and had some great floaters.  Tribble is a great backup.  Our big men on offense are still the weakness on the team.  Riak just can't seem to hold onto the ball.  Ali is still a frosh and will make frosh mistakes.  I like Camron Reese but would like to see him be more aggressive on offense.  He has some nice moves on the drop step but never seems to be an offensive factor. Too many offensive rebounds by Eastern Michigan.  Reese, Banks Jackson and LCJ really played well and are very athletic and can get to the basket.  I still did not like it when Banks made a 3 and then stared down the opposing bench.  I thought that would be done after the T on Monday.  

• Like 1

LCJ is a strong contender for POY.

He is ON FIRE!

He has another year. I hope he spends it with us. As a grad student, he can transfer and play. Somebody out there can use a guy that is this good, and a masters from Harvard or Michigan State or whatever sure looks good on the resume. At his size, he may not be able to have a post college career anywhere. So the name on the sheepskin may be a big deal to him.

16 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

He is ON FIRE!

He has another year. I hope he spends it with us. As a grad student, he can transfer and play. Somebody out there can use a guy that is this good, and a masters from Harvard or Michigan State or whatever sure looks good on the resume. At his size, he may not be able to have a post college career anywhere. So the name on the sheepskin may be a big deal to him.

Wow.   SMH.  Hes said many times he's going to run his dad's basketball camp/school after he finishes with Division 1.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

Just got back to the 330.  What a nice day.  Kinda gut-wrenching at the beginning but then things seemed to relax.  X would sure be great to have for another season, but...The shooting acumen has gone waaaay up this season.  Boy, does Eastern even know how to play man-to-man D?  Glad they didn't but I think we still would have hit a lot of outsiders.  This was a nice road game, in that we didn't have to put up with a lot of weird fans, and I don't know if it was @Illini Zip or @clarkwgriswold I think that said earlier that these guys seem to like each other, and that was evident at the Convo.  This team seems more like a team than the past two seasons.....

Edited by ZipsVoice

22 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

He is ON FIRE!

Personally, I think he's all in with this program. He's been a vocal "trust the process" guy since he got here, and I think a lot of that has to do with his upbringing. Besides, he will be starting his Master's here once classes resume next week or whenever it is. If Akron ends up shattering expectations and Groce gets hired off, I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Groce or just go elsewhere. 

Definitely agree on the POY potential. Last year during nonconference play, he looked like a really good MAC point guard. Then league play started and he shot something like 29% from Three and was a guard that only had interest in scoring. It looks like the game has seriously slowed down to him and he's got more poise to contribute in so many more ways than just shooting. 

Mikal Dawson is a guy I have my eye on. I wish he could've gotten more meaningful minutes toward the end of the game. I'm honestly a bit surprised they're burning his redshirt considering he wasn't with the team at all until mid-December. His body is impressive, but you can tell he's just behind. Hopefully he can develop into a meaningful contributor come the last half of the MAC season. 

Keep it rolling. 

• Like 1

Two things that are jumping out to me so far:

1)  Everybody is buying in for the whole game.  The defense just never stops.

2)  They stick to the plan.  There are some very basic ways to attack that two- three zone and while they struggled for the first 5 minutes settling in against it they didn't get frustrated or try to force things.

1) Mikal was very vocal playing defense during his time on the court. You could tell he was excited for his minutes. 

2) Reese was very vocal after everything good he did... drawing fouls, snatching rebounds, and alley oops. Love his swagger. More dunks please. 

3) The real mvp was the noise meter on the jumbotron. That thing managed to go off the charts and break itself with only 15 people church-clapping

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, pdt1420 said:

Also, that was my first time at EMU. I know some might thing the arena is a bit of a concrete box, but I liked it. Surprised to see it was over 20 years old.  I really liked the lobby with the glass wall overlooking the football stadium. 

I think the arena is fantastic. I’d give my left nut for an arena like that. Across Main Street from Canal Park. Maybe one day...

It’s their fan base we poke fun at. The arena makes me green with envy!

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

What fan base? 

My kid graduated from there last spring.  They have the "big school" issue worse than we do.  Imagine if UA was 10 minutes from OSU.   All the times I was there, there were 5 kids with Michigan (or MSU) gear for every 1 with EMU.  Like us with OSU, their alumni would rather sit at home watching a Michigan coaches show than go to an EMU game.  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

This was a nice road game, in that we didn't have to put up with a lot of weird fans, and I don't know if it was @Illini Zip or @clarkwgriswold I think that said earlier that these guys seem to like each other, and that was evident at the Convo.  This team seems more like a team than the past two seasons.....

I can't take any credit for this comment, but I agree completely. 

This team's chemistry is outstanding.  Passing, moving without the ball, understanding each other's strengths, getting them the ball in position, players understanding the pecking order, talented freshmen who are currently comfortable carrying the upperclassmen's luggage, so to speak, no egos concerning who's in the starting lineup, bench cheering for each other.  I could go on.  It's obvious they like each other and are having fun.

Of course, things are going well right now.  We'll probably hit a rough patch sometime this season & we'll see how they respond.

• Like 5

On 1/4/2020 at 8:05 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I think the arena is fantastic. I’d give my left nut for an arena like that. Across Main Street from Canal Park. Maybe one day...

It’s their fan base we poke fun at. The arena makes me green with envy!

Cursory examination of your statement  gives the impression you would really give a lot for an arena like that; however when one realizes that you have three testicles the statement losses some of its strength.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

Cursory examination of your statement  gives the impression you would really give a lot for an arena like that; however when one realizes that you have three testicles the statement losses some of its strength.

How’d you know?

Fine, I’d give my middle nut then. Better? ?