Game 15- Western Michigan

14 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I like how Xeryious is the silent assassin.  He's quietly getting all those rebounds and then throws in some 3s.

Until Groce, I never understood the concept of a coach needing "his guys" on the team, and he's not afraid to cut the dead weight or cut a good player for the sake of the team.

I respect coach Groce for sticking to his vision for the team and making it happen over three seasons. The players have all bought in and they trust the coach. Groce seems to be genuinely happy he is at Akron and he has said in a presser that he was attracted to UA because of the success KD had here. That's a classy way to credit KD and still believe the ceiling is higher than KD experienced. This team deserves our support and they can put the excitement back in Zip's sports culture.

The Groce haters are silent now. I welcome them back into the fold. If they don't come too bad. They are missing a hell of a ride.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's pretty sad there are "fans" out there who care more about trying to prove themselves right over seeing their alma mater do well. I was one of the earliest and most vocal Bowden critics on this board, but I still got enjoyment out of seeing us beat Northwestern. The 10 weeks that followed not so much.

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's pretty sad there are "fans" out there who care more about trying to prove themselves right over seeing their alma mater do well. I was one of the earliest and most vocal Bowden critics on this board, but I still got enjoyment out of seeing us beat Northwestern. The 10 weeks that followed not so much.

I was "all in" for Groce from beginning, primarily because I hated him so much at OU.  He schooled KD twice in MAC finals and made his own luck.  If Zips can emerge from this week 13-3, then I will be certain this team is back 

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I respect coach Groce for sticking to his vision for the team and making it happen over three seasons. The players have all bought in and they trust the coach. Groce seems to be genuinely happy he is at Akron and he has said in a presser that he was attracted to UA because of the success KD had here. That's a classy way to credit KD and still believe the ceiling is higher than KD experienced. This team deserves our support and they can put the excitement back in Zip's sports culture.

The Groce haters are silent now. I welcome them back into the fold. If they don't come too bad. They are missing a hell of a ride.

Very, very well put.

It's interesting to watch the assembly of this team and reassembly of the program, while comparing it to Groce's time at both OU and Illinois. I can see why he struggled at Illinois. His success at OU was predicated around athletic players buying into a system of tempo, EFFORT, and DEFENSE. The caliber of player recruited to Illinois is most likely going to rely on their AAU success and raw talent for success, and not necessarily buy into effort and defense. How many times do we see teams of Blue Chip recruits not achieve the ultimate success in college because a lesser-talented opponent has a better fundamental system? 

With that being said, I also believe we'll win tonight even without a red-hot shooting night, simply because this team is completely bought into the plan - tempo, effort, defense. 12-3 after tonight would be sweet...

Torrey Patton helped fill out a decimated roster for the Zips.  He's now doing that for CSU.  He was co-player of the year with Javon Graves his senior year in high school and they had a great battle in the state final.  With the Zips, the kid always played hard and seemed to have a nose for the ball, but had limited ball handling and shooting skills.  Looks like he went off to community college and improved his game.  According to the CSU website, he's shooting 59% from the field, 47% from the free throw line and 58% from the three point line.  I don't think that will continue.  He always seemed like a decent kid so I wish him well.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Torrey Patton helped fill out a decimated roster for the Zips.  He's now doing that for CSU.  He was co-player of the year with Javon Graves his senior year in high school and they had a great battle in the state final.  With the Zips, the kid always played hard and seemed to have a nose for the ball, but had limited ball handling and shooting skills.  Looks like he went off to community college and improved his game.  According to the CSU website, he's shooting 59% from the field, 47% from the free throw line and 58% from the three point line.  I don't think that will continue.  He always seemed like a decent kid so I wish him well.

Oh THAT Torrey Patton!

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Both teams shoot below 40%.  Xerius misses his first 6 (or 8?) shots, but WMU turnovers prevent them from making a game of it.  Zips 62-49.

3-0 on a long one from...who else...Xeyrious...!  Got the spelling? ?‍♂️?