Game 16- Ball State (9 p.m. on 1/10)

NWAkron’s favorite MAC team, the 9-6 Ball State Cardinals, come into the JAR for a late night 9 p.m. game Friday fresh off of a 20 point drubbing of Canada.  

The Cards are led by junior guard Ishmael El-Amin at 14.6 ppg. El Amin is the son of former University of Connecticut and NBA player Khalid El-Amin. Cardinals ended up with 16-17 record overall and won just six MAC games last year. Ball State lost guard Taylor Person to graduation. Senior forward Tahjai Teague was named to the West Division Preseason All-MAC Team and the team was predicted to finish third in the West Division. 

I watched the Cardinals play over Christmas in person.  They're good, so long as they don't try to play too fadt and make turnovers.  They can get very hot shooting, el-Amin, Mallers and the little frosh, Bumbalough -- looks like a manager but is an athletic little guy who has a way of getting open, maybe because he played WR in football...  And Teague must be one of the best post players in the MAC.  Riak will have his hands full.  We must defend the perimeter and box out to stop offensive rebounds.  And hustle, hustle, hustle!!!  ?

Should be another double digit victory. Ball State lost to Evansville, Western Illinois, and Utep. While this game will be The Zips "biggest win" considering Ball State is on the brink of being a top 100 team. The Zips should easily roll them with a surplus of talent and team comradely which is typically unprecedented in Akron bball.  

• Like 1

Cards, Chips, Flashes, and Zips undefeated in MAC play.

From the MAC Conference website, Four big stats popped out to me:  Zips  are #1 in: (even after the Michael Flowers second half show last night)

Free Throw  %,  

3 point FG % 

3 point FG % defense.

FG % defense.

Ball State is in the top 5 in most categories other than Free Throw % for which they are 9th.

Is this game no longer the “for Pete’s sake” purple out game? I haven’t seen or heard anything one way or the other. I know Danny is no longer coaching there but it was a nice tribute to our coach Pete. Hate to see both the “Pete’s sake” and the coaches vs cancer games just dropped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's been a long work week. I need to know who his bartender is.

This guy is too funny. If he comes to the game tonight I'm buying him a beer.