Game 16- Ball State (9 p.m. on 1/10)

Not sure if Jackson and William can play any better than tonight.  I  love the way Jackson controls the game.  He is quick and can get to the basket.  He has developed a nice floater and now is stopping short and taking a short jumper.  Williams has been on a tear from the 3 line the last 3 games.  In the first half Ball State played great defense creating turnovers and forcing the Zips to rush some shots.  We also missed a lot of open three balls.  The Zips usually come out flat in the second half but tonight that dominated the second half.  Cheese is so good around the basket.  The team has some great balence the way they are moving the ball.  Looking forward to the next game.

1 hour ago, The Hip Zip said:

No qualms with the results but this was, bar none, the most bizarre game I've seen at the JAR.   It's a beautiful thing when the shots start dropping and the D tightens up

That's quite a superlative.  The most bizarre?  How so?

Like going on the Ball State fan page and reading things like:   "They are not THAT good.  We can beat them in Cleveland."  "This could be our only conference loss." 

"They are clearly on another level.  We don’t really have a chance against them if we see them in Cleveland."  "It seems like there's always someone in the East who's "on another level" compared to us. For awhile it was Kent State, recently it was Buffalo, now it appears to be Akron."  "We can win the west. But Akron right now is superior, and Kent might be too."  "It's like recruiting has consequences or something."

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I don't know how many of the people here watched this on TV, but the commentators were calling Akron a Sweet 16 team!

They also talked about hairstyle for a solid minute, Manny's bar floor being slippery with beer, and how lungs were important in basketball. They were about as focused as Bill Walton. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

They also talked about hairstyle for a solid minute, Manny's bar floor being slippery with beer, and how lungs were important in basketball. They were about as focused as Bill Walton. 

Yeah, the broadcast team was fun to listen to, but disagreed over Akron's position within the MACtion.  The color guy was confident PCCC was still the team to beat!  I hope he gets to call the showdowns between the NEO powers later.  Was it he who when X slipped down in the corner confessed his experience as a customer at Manny's Pub -- comparing the slickness of the two surfaces?  Apparently a former Northwestern player, what did the posters say on the buses -- Fastest Guard in the Big Ten?  His pic?  Play-by-play guy was more supportive of Zips -- saying this put us in charge, showing our low-40s NET rating, and saying we were still alive for an at-large...  Well, that might have been the home cooking part, as there's almost no chance given no major wins or future shots to beat any teams above us.  But they were a good diversion at times from what was largely two uneven halves of play.  If we play a half like the first against K State we're not going to run away like the second half tonight.  Ball is maybe in the top 5, but only a contender for the CBI.

All I could find in the ABJ coverage of the game was one stock photo of Groce and a small article.   I think I saw GT at the game.  Maybe the late finish didn't make deadline for the print edition.

Muncie paper did a bit better

https://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/college/ball-state/2020/01/11/akron-basketball-beats-ball-state-mid-american-conference/4440595002/

https://gozips.com/sports/mens-basketball

This has a super interview with X and LCJ.  LCJ is class act.  He mentioned how Sayles came in for a few minutes, got a rebound, and a slam and changed the game.

I think GT said that's the loudest the crowd has been during the Groce era.  I was surprised myself how quickly everyone was on their feet.  Also,  there are some highlights and you can see Reese's dunk and his reaction after that led to the T.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

I assume the game ended too late to get to press.

Last night's game was fun.  Nice to see the crowd get into the game.

It appears that the Zips are finally starting to gain some attention from their success.  Some day, when I get a little time, I want to go back a couple of years and find some of the very critical posts about Groce as he was struggling with a roster thrown together at the last minute.  It should be entertaining for those of us who encouraged patience and painful for the "Chicken Littles" who were so critical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I assume the game ended too late to get to press.

Last night's game was fun.  Nice to see the crowd get into the game.

It appears that the Zips are finally starting to gain some attention from their success.  Some day, when I get a little time, I want to go back a couple of years and find some of the very critical posts about Groce as he was struggling with a roster thrown together at the last minute.  It should be entertaining for those of us who encouraged patience and painful for the "Chicken Littles" who were so critical.

NWAkron was "all in" from the beginning. 

• Like 1

Have to give it to the poster who last week said LCJ was in the running for MAC POY. He should be getting his second straight POW honor as he put up a stat line of 22.5 7.5 2.5 this week. I still think Xeyrius is the best player on the team, but LCJ is the motor that gets the offense running.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Have to give it to the poster who last week said LCJ was in the running for MAC POY. He should be getting his second straight POW honor as he put up a stat line of 22.5 7.5 2.5 this week. I still think Xeyrius is the best player on the team, but LCJ is the motor that gets the offense running.

That would be me and I wish I could predict the winning lotto numbers.