Game 17- Northern Illinois

clarkwgriswold

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Respectable opening post, though. Pretty solid background information & analysis leading up to the game; that poster must have attended the @clarkwgriswold School for Fan Forums. 

This is a massive game for 3 reasons. 

1) NIU might be the class of the MAC West. They are tied for 1st in the West, and have been quite competitive all season. 10 pt loss to UNI, 12 pt loss at SMC, 9 pt loss at Pitt, and 1 pt loss at CMU. 

2) NIU is our Kryptonite, and have been for a while. Dambrot had a 50+ home game winning streak if I remember correctly, which was of course ended by an abysmal NIU squad. 

3) Keep. Winning. None of these polls matter if we lose. Plus, our momentum on the road is key this season with our road struggles in the past. 

Our defensive style and athleticism bodes well in this matchup. German will hopefully be tamed by our ability to be our opponents to the spot. We move our feet so well on defense; it's impressive. 

If you look at MAC stats, in offensive and defensive percentages in the 3 MAC games, Akron NIU and PCC are in the top 3 in both.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Our defensive style and athleticism bodes well in this matchup. German will hopefully be tamed by our ability to be our opponents to the spot. We move our feet so well on defense; it's impressive. 

"Defense travels," and (I'm not sure how Groce managed this, but) this team sincerely takes deep pride in their defense.  It seems as if they take not being ranked #1 in the conference in defense personally.  Love it!  And we now have the athletic depth for all of our players to leave everything on the floor and not have to be concerned with pacing themselves.

I hope we come out and put a python's death grip on NIU's offense & curb stomp them from the get-go.  I think we can.

"1-and-0."  Every game is a statement game.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

"Defense travels," and (I'm not sure how Groce managed this, but) this team sincerely takes deep pride in their defense.  It seems as if they take not being ranked #1 in the conference in defense personally.  Love it!  And we now have the athletic depth for all of our players to leave everything on the floor and not have to be concerned with pacing themselves.

I hope we come out and put a python's death grip on NIU's offense & curb stomp them from the get-go.  I think we can.

"1-and-0."  Every game is a statement game.

Regarding defense, there was a brief back and forth between Groce and French about BSU making that last 3 and getting to 60.  Groce said that shouldn't have happened.  Looks better.keeping opponents under 60!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It looks like the NIU board finally got around to creating a game thread about 30 minutes ago. Just in general their board looks relatively dead compared to here.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-892426.html

NIU fans don't have tablets on their tractors?

Marketing idea for NIU: if ESPN is going to send this broadcast crew to DeKalb, they should have a fan-commentator night where 2 different people are picked each half to commentate for the stream. This is cringe-worthy commentary at best. 

I'd like to see us get to the basket a bit more early on here, although my goodness are we hot from deep. 

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Marketing idea for NIU: if ESPN is going to send this broadcast crew to DeKalb, they should have a fan-commentator night where 2 different people are picked each half to commentate for the stream.

Are we sure they didn't do that for this game?