Game 17- Northern Illinois

clarkwgriswold

4 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I won't get my hopes up. Sh*t marketing department plus people still pouting about the coach will unfortunately keep these guys from getting the support they deserve this year, I'm guessing. French just said Toledo has won 8 of the last 9 in the series. As bad as they've looked lately, they've got some players and I'm thinking this will be the first close MAC game for Akron. 

Those KD people all sat in front of me.  Don't miss them.  And those who only show up now when team is winning...grrr

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Those KD people all sat in front of me.  Don't miss them.  And those who only show up now when team is winning...grrr

Yeah, even when they weren't nearly as good the last two years, there was still some fun basketball to watch for what $60-$100 for a season ticket?? In Akron, Ohio?? Come on man, that's gotta be better. But we won't get into attendance issues right now. Let's go 1-0 on Saturday!

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yeah, even when they weren't nearly as good the last two years, there was still some fun basketball to watch for what $60-$100 for a season ticket?? In Akron, Ohio?? Come on man, that's gotta be better. But we won't get into attendance issues right now. Let's go 1-0 on Saturday!

I think the attendance will be a problem no matter how well this team plays.  A popular coach leaves, have 2 years of mediocre basketball, never get past the quarter finals in Cleveland, get blown out in Cleveland by Buffalo last year.  There are a lot of fans who left the program.  Akron has done absolutely nothing to get these fans back into the building.  No publicity, no marketing, nothing.  I saw that Norhern Illinois was marketing 5 tickets for $25.  That is more marketing than Akron has done.  Akron tickets are $15 per game.  They offer a season ticket program that gets worse as the season progresses.  It would be nice if Akron did some marketing to get butts in the seats.  

Watching replay, after NIUs run they scored 9 points in final 13 minutes.

14 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I think the attendance will be a problem no matter how well this team plays.  A popular coach leaves, have 2 years of mediocre basketball, never get past the quarter finals in Cleveland, get blown out in Cleveland by Buffalo last year.  There are a lot of fans who left the program.  Akron has done absolutely nothing to get these fans back into the building.  No publicity, no marketing, nothing.  I saw that Norhern Illinois was marketing 5 tickets for $25.  That is more marketing than Akron has done.  Akron tickets are $15 per game.  They offer a season ticket program that gets worse as the season progresses.  It would be nice if Akron did some marketing to get butts in the seats.  

Popular coach leaves? That makes my blood boil.  Those losers who used to sit near me who were apparently only there for the coach...they can drive to Pittsburgh and play "Where's Duquesne?"

6 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

The fact that they raised ticket prices for the upper reserved section during a rebuild is crazy.  They need to market like the Rubber Ducks and just worry about getting people in the stands.  I would try $5 GA and family plans with food vouchers, parking, etc. for single games.  We never got a lot of students, but have the AK-Rowdies basically folded now that a lot of the die hard students from the first row on the base line have moved on? 

24 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

The fact that they raised ticket prices for the upper reserved section during a rebuild is crazy.  They need to market like the Rubber Ducks and just worry about getting people in the stands.  I would try $5 GA and family plans with food vouchers, parking, etc. for single games.  We never got a lot of students, but have the AK-Rowdies basically folded now that a lot of the die hard students from the first row on the base line have moved on? 

The AK Rowdies need a few obnoxious leaders.  There were 3 back in the day who were totally nuts and brutalized the opposing coaches.  This year the male cheerleaders are picking up some of the slack.  As for marketing, the athletic Dept is short-staffed.  There's Williams, VanHorn, and a new guy.  Franky, I'm not opposed to letting this team be a "best kept" secret for awhile.  And while the Zips had two off seasons, the last few years of KD weren't that hot either.

• Haha 1

We're certainly a completely different defense and rebounding team when Xeyrius isn't on the floor. In the WMU game WMU could barely get a shot off until Xeyrius got into foul trouble. Early in the 2nd half against NIU he picks up his 4th foul and sat out most of NIU 18-2 scoring run. I don't think it's any coincidence the margin ballooned back up when Groce decided to put him back in. If I'm an opposing coach I'm going to try to scheme ways to put him in a position to commit fouls whether it back trying to isolate him on the perimeter with a quick guard or try posting him up down low. 

Edited by kreed5120

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

As for marketing, the athletic Dept is short-staffed. 

Agree with NWA.  There's basically one Director and an associate and then 3 GAs.  And most of what they "Market" is to the students on campus, hardly any to the outside, unless I miss a lot because I'm not a facebook or twitter user.  They are more involved in game-day activities and some promotions for upcoming games, but this is not your typical Sports Marketing group for a pro team.  They do have interns as well, but once again everything seems to me to be focused on gameday experience rather than attracting general public attendance.  

13 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Something has been happening at the past few home games that kinda been making me a little irritated.  I've slipped in to a down-low seat a few times and also go with some friends who know "well-heeled" athletic donors and alumnus, and there is a "nod-nod-wink-wink" discussion in the seats and with these folks, telling others that Don't worry, Keith's coming back, soon, and he's going to be the athletic director".  Don't know where their info is coming from (other than maybe...), but it seems designed to undermine Groce and the current team's success.    Plus it's disingenuous as well. 

38 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Something has been happening at the past few home games that kinda been making me a little irritated.  I've slipped in to a down-low seat a few times and also go with some friends who know "well-heeled" athletic donors and alumnus, and there is a "nod-nod-wink-wink" discussion in the seats and with these folks, telling others that Don't worry, Keith's coming back, soon, and he's going to be the athletic director".  Don't know where their info is coming from (other than maybe...), but it seems designed to undermine Groce and the current team's success.    Plus it's disingenuous as well. 

I'll guess it is a combination of wishful thinking and Urban Legend.

56 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

People like to think they "know" stuff.  If you look at KDs and President Millers CVs and background, there's no connection or relationship that one can find between them that would make me believe such a stupid rumor.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Zips won first four MAC games by total of 77 points! 

And one other fun note on this, even though its really early four games into the season Zips own four of the top six margins of victory in the conference at 24 (EMU), 23 (NIU), and 15 (WMU and BSU). The two others belong to Ball State (20, Buffalo and 17, EMU) and the Zips as noted own a 15 point victory over them. If the transitive property held the Zips should have been only 7 better the Ball State. ? But I have a feeling Ball State is going to finish in the top four at the end of the year. 

17 minutes ago, MDZip said:

And one other fun note on this, even though its really early four games into the season Zips own four of the top six margins of victory in the conference at 24 (EMU), 23 (NIU), and 15 (WMU and BSU). The two others belong to Ball State (20, Buffalo and 17, EMU) and the Zips as noted own a 15 point victory over them. If the transitive property held the Zips should have been only 7 better the Ball State. ? But I have a feeling Ball State is going to finish in the top four at the end of the year. 

Even better... go to the MAC Conference web page and look at the conference only stats.  There's a stat for margin of victory.  Zips are at 19.3.  next is Ravenna at 7.0.  also Cheese is over 20ppg and is 2nd ranking scorer in MAC.  Lots of good stuff

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Even better... go to the MAC Conference web page and look at the conference only stats.  There's a stat for margin of victory.  Zips are at 19.3.  next is Ravenna at 7.0.  also Cheese is over 20ppg and is 2nd ranking scorer in MAC.  Lots of good stuff

Defensive statistics are also really impressive and lead by a wide margin (except our free throw defense which is very middle of the pack ?). And LCJ should be tied as the fourth leading scorer in MAC games but for some reason the league seems disinclined to include his 26 point game as that is the one they have excluded as they have listed him as participating in only three games.  ?

6 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Defensive statistics are also really impressive and lead by a wide margin (except our free throw defense which is very middle of the pack ?). And LCJ should be tied as the fourth leading scorer in MAC games but for some reason the league seems disinclined to include his 26 point game as that is the one they have excluded as they have listed him as participating in only three games.  ?

There is something wrong with his stats.  Yesterday, he wasn't included at all.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

There is something wrong with his stats.  Yesterday, he wasn't included at all.

NIU must use the league website to develop their game plan. I thought it was a bold strategy to leave LCJ completely unguarded for the 1st 5 minutes of the game, but NIU must not of thought he was a threat because he hadn't recorded any stats to date ?

• Haha 1

I will add this tidbit because whenever Akron marketing comes up the issue of alcohol sales is usually a part of it. NIU does sell alcohol during the game, but you can't take it to your seat. At least the closer seats. They have tall tables you can stand at on either end of the floor. I don't know about the general seating higher up.