Tracking 2019-20 Zips Men's Hoops in the Polls

RowdyZip

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Why isn't A-10 included in college insider poll?

No, and neither is the AAC, MWC, and C-USA. It's pretty much a coaches poll for mid-majors and those 4 conferences have opted out of participating. I guess they don't like being categorized as "mid-majors". It's particularly funny for C-USA who has taken a nosedive since they lost all their basketball schools to the AAC.

Something of note - our 3 losses are all in the AP Poll. Louisville & WVU are 11 & 12 respectively, while Liberty is getting 11 votes currently. 

@Captain Kangaroo Are you sure you're ok buddy? Between the USC Trojans/Gamecocks debacle and posting LAST WEEK'S poll, just wanted to check in. ?

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

@Captain Kangaroo Are you sure you're ok buddy? Between the USC Trojans/Gamecocks debacle and posting LAST WEEK'S poll, just wanted to check in. ?

Cut me some slack on the poll...as of the time I posted it, it was the most-recent edition. 

No excuse for mixing up the two USC’s though. Maybe I need to ban myself.

I'm as excited as anyone, but the only way a MAC team gets an at-large is if they're in the top 25 after losing the MAC Tournament Championship.  And being in the top 25 at the conclusion of the season is a HUGE uphill battle, when any one conference loss drops a MAC team off the radar for most voters.  Zips could afford one...mayyyybe 2 more losses this year, and that's a tough ask even in a year when there's only one other top 100 NET team in conference.

But we're on the right track.  Keep going 1-0.

12 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I'm as excited as anyone, but the only way a MAC team gets an at-large is if they're in the top 25 after losing the MAC Tournament Championship.  And being in the top 25 at the conclusion of the season is a HUGE uphill battle, when any one conference loss drops a MAC team off the radar for most voters.  Zips could afford one...mayyyybe 2 more losses this year, and that's a tough ask even in a year when there's only one other top 100 NET team in conference.

But we're on the right track.  Keep going 1-0.

I agree an at-large realistically isn't feasible. I just keep bringing it up because I know how much it makes @clarkwgriswold cringe hearing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree an at-large realistically isn't feasible. I just keep bringing it up because I know how much it makes @clarkwgriswold cringe hearing.

Considering what's going in is a surprise to all of us, we all are reasonable in our expectations.  So cool to have a coach who doesn't whine about such things as rankings, scheduling, and tourney bids.  Enjoy it while we can.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Considering what's going in is a surprise to all of us, we all are reasonable in our expectations.  So cool to have a coach who doesn't whine about such things as rankings, scheduling, and tourney bids.  Enjoy it while we can.  

Unsure why you feel the need to include the pot shot.  Dambrot had a platform as a senior MAC coach and member of the rules committee.  I'd rather have a coach that fights for his fellow mid-majors, and I'm sure that given the chance, Coach Groce will do the same.  We see it every year and I'd rather have a light shown, no matter how small.  Before it was RPI, then BPI/Pomeroy, now NET...but in the long run it means nothing.  #40 NET team from the ACC is a lock.  #39 NET team from the MAC isn't on the radar.  Unless you're ok with having to either win the conference tournament or go 30-2 to get into the Dance.

I had my doubts with Groce and staff, considering the sample size.  I've been happily proven wrong at this point, because I'm a fan of my alma mater and it's teams first.  We were picked 2nd to last...absolutely we're exceeding expectations.  If Coach continues to succeed, I need him to prove me wrong a second time and not leave with the first "big" offer.

3 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

#40 NET team from the ACC is a lock.  #39 NET team from the MAC isn't on the radar.  

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron is up to 37 in NET rankings. Last season NC State was the highest rated NET team to miss the tournament. Their NET ranking at the time of selection was #33.

https://tenor.com/view/witch-witches-brew-cauldron-stir-the-pot-gif-12978168 

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Zips now have a .500 record combined with football at 14-14.  Wooohoooo!

Clark, you are a glass half full kinda guy. I love it.?