Tracking 2019-20 Zips Men's Hoops in the Polls

RowdyZip

Almost every conference did, and then they realized that it didn't make sense anymore. We're a slow moving conference. I don't think there's much more to it than that

I think with removing divisions, you'd also see a move to a 22 game conference schedule, which is probably the main hold up on the whole thing.

13 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I politely call BS. We have to be one of the most concentrated conferences in the country. An extra trip to Muncie instead of BG isn't really going to make a difference.

Maybe not, but an extra trip from Buffalo to DeKalb or Kalamazoo would certainly make a major difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Almost every conference did, and then they realized that it didn't make sense anymore. We're a slow moving conference. I don't think there's much more to it than that

I think with removing divisions, you'd also see a move to a 22 game conference schedule, which is probably the main hold up on the whole thing.

The issue with a 22 game conference schedule is that only leaves 9 OOC games, 3 of which would be some exempt tournament. That means you only have 6 OOC games that you can schedule opponents for. That doesn't really give you much flexibility for scheduling. Not to mention it reduces opportunities for MAC schools to get tournament building wins. The NCAA would need to raise the number of games teams are allowed to play before that becomes a reality.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The issue with a 22 game conference schedule is that only leaves 9 OOC games, 3 of which would be some exempt tournament. That means you only have 6 OOC games that you can schedule opponents for. That doesn't really give you much flexibility for scheduling. Not to mention it reduces opportunities for MAC schools to get tournament building wins. The NCAA would need to raise the number of games teams are allowed to play before that becomes a reality.

Yes, which is why I think that's a bigger issue than travel

26 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Because the MAC is constantly one of the least forward-thinking conferences in the NCAA. They are constantly behind the trends instead of getting ahead of them. 

And yes I'm aware I'm not @zippy5

As long as the MAC tournament is in Cleveland and not Detroit they can do what they want

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

As long as the MAC tournament is in Cleveland and not Detroit they can do what they want

There is a lot of things to complain about the MAC, but they have done a terrific job with the tournament. Outside of MWC, who plays their games tournament in Vegas, it might be the best run mid-major conference tournament. They would be dumb to move it.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Doesn't have to be a 22 game schedule the only conferences that even goes to 20 that I'm aware of are the Big Ten and ACC who have 14 and 15 members. I don't think that any conference other than the MAC still uses the divisional scheduling model.  If the divisions meant something, like in football, I could see it, otherwise it's time to move on. 

Edited by MDZip

5 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Think you're right. Thought ACC went to a full 2x round robin but forgot they have 14. 

Either way, it makes less sense when you're playing one side more than the other but the divisions are meaningless. Just not much practicality to it anymore

Isn't there a tiebreaker for seeding that tabulates record against division opponents?  Or is that only is like Miami is tied with Buffalo?

16 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Isn't there a tiebreaker for seeding that tabulates record against division opponents?  Or is that only is like Miami is tied with Buffalo?

You are correct they still do but it could be easily eliminated as well. And its only if the two teams are tied for the division lead otherwise they don't use it. 

TIE-BREAKER PROCEDURE
Ties in winning percentage, and thus for tournament, seeding positions shall be broken as follows:

1. Between TWO teams:
A. Head-to-head competition

B. Division Record (10 games)^

C. Winning percentage* vs. ranked conference teams (top to bottom, regardless of division, vs. common opponents regardless of the number of times played)

D. Coin flip

2. For MULTIPLE (3 or more) team ties:
E. Total won-lost record/winning percentage* of games played among the tied teams

F. Two (2)-team tie-breaker procedure goes into effect (refer to A)
[NOTE: Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker will go into effect.]

^ - For the purpose of determining the Division champion. This tiebreaker is ONLY used for seeding purposes if the two teams in question are tied for the Division lead. (Teams will still be considered co-divisional champions)

* - Winning percentage is used instead of record because of situations where teams do not play each other the same number of times. Therefore, a team that is 1-0 (1.000) would win the tiebreaker over a team that is 1-1 (.500).

17 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Regardless of if we keep divisions or go to a single table, certain teams will have an easier schedule and other will have a more challenging one. Personally, I'd rather to continue playing Ohio, Kent, and Buffalo 2x per year even if that means we have a slightly tougher schedule. 

We got Eastern Michigan twice this year and Kent and BG have to play Toledo twice.  I've never had a problem with it nor have I seen an unjust result.  In 2009 Akron should have been the 4th seed because they had much better record than 2nd seed Ball State.   Akron's dismal showing against Ohio at home last year sent them to the 8th seed and into a QF clash with the unstoppable Canada. 

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

Wonder if it's the same voter as the Jan 13th poll, Dave Preston of WTOP, they don't have the individual votes posted yet. 

It is.  If you click the "pollsters" section, you can view individual ballots before they're compiled.  He has us at 25, ETSU at 24, and URI at 23 on the strength of that win over the mighty Dukes.

image.png

• Thanks 1