2021 Recruit - Luke Brown (PG)

Here you go, @Blackford. I appreciate all the background information and updates regarding Luke Brown! Sounds like a heady ballplayer that will make some noise at the next level. I've compiled all your key posts from the Offers thread into this thread, that way the 2021 Offers thread doesn't get TOO crowded and we can keep an eye on a player I hope to see in an Akron uniform after next season!

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/luke-brown/a8QP9s7lEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/videos.htm

start with this video produced by the Indiana Pacers for some good background it’s from his sophomore year it’s the second or third one down titled “ the old man and the team “

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/1013220001

this is an Indianapolis Star in depth piece from his freshman year 

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/doyel-blackford-hartford-city-ind-phenom-luke-brown-leads-state-in-scoring-lifts-community/amp

this is same writer from last year during his sophomore year 

if you google Luke Brown Blackford basketball you’ll get pretty much endless Material ...he has a super impressive 8th grade video on YouTube ( yes I realize it’s funny to say that ) but watch it and you’ll see what I mean it’s like he Was just born with a sixth sense for court awareness ....if anyone has any interest let me know and I’ll post some unique stats and accomplishments to date ....also Blackford sports network on YouTube has archived most Blackford games 

No problem ...in addition to the kind of Disney like Movie script  story ...the kid is a flat out gamer.  Blackford has not been blessed with many solid players but I’ve been lucky enough to get to see several high school  players who have gone on to successful college or pro careers.  I’ve been especially fortunate to see two players MANY times who ended up being impact starting guards at IU and Purdue.  Luke is farther along as a junior with shooting or ball handling  and has a higher basketball iq than either of those two very talented players. He is undersized and doesn’t have “Jump off the page” athleticism so he will have challenges defending larger d1 guards  and having on to wing players.  He is extremely quick and gets lots of steals because he can anticipate plays but he will need another 15 pounds to be able to not be really taken advantage of inside the arc.  He is listed at 6’2 and he isn’t in my opinion.  He’s taller than me but not significantly my guess would be he’s a solid 6ft approaching 6’1 isn’t a crazy assessment but I’d be shocked if he was over that.  He plays in the CIC conference at Blackford who recently switched from 3A to 2A as a result of reduced enrollment  which has produced two state Champions  in the last 4 years at the 2A state level ( frankton and oak hill ) and last year their schedule last year had 7 sectional champions.  One concern is that of their 23 games 5-7 are against solid to great teams, 5ish are against extremely poor teams that don’t have business on the schedule and the others fall between those two.  He is regularly double or triple teamed for the entirety of his games and I can’t recall him having an open shot unless he created it this entire year.  He plays on INdiana Elite 2021 platinum team which was ranked nationally in the top 10 on the adidas gauntlet.  He holds his own against top level D1 competition there and leads the team in assists.  

He has an insanely long resume some interesting stats or accomplishments are as follows :

-most points scored by a freshman in an Ihsaa game 

-took a Blackford team on a 1-7O streak and won 15 games as freshman even missing the final 8 games of the year with injury 

-as a freshman he was the only player in the entire stare of any class level out of over 400 schools to have a 50/40/90

shooting percentage line 

- 3 games of 50 or more points including 2 with 55

- only sophomore to ever lead the state of Indiana in scoring at 35 points per game 

- as a junior he is leading the state in assists by over an assist per game at 10.2 and he is one tenth of a point off the scoring lead at 32.2 per game...no player in Indiana history has lead the state in both categories 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Here you go, @Blackford. I appreciate all the background information and updates regarding Luke Brown! Sounds like a heady ballplayer that will make some noise at the next level. I've compiled all your key posts from the Offers thread into this thread, that way the 2021 Offers thread doesn't get TOO crowded and we can keep an eye on a player I hope to see in an Akron uniform after next season!

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/athlete/luke-brown/a8QP9s7lEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/videos.htm

start with this video produced by the Indiana Pacers for some good background it’s from his sophomore year it’s the second or third one down titled “ the old man and the team “

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/1013220001

this is an Indianapolis Star in depth piece from his freshman year 

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/doyel-blackford-hartford-city-ind-phenom-luke-brown-leads-state-in-scoring-lifts-community/amp

this is same writer from last year during his sophomore year 

if you google Luke Brown Blackford basketball you’ll get pretty much endless Material ...he has a super impressive 8th grade video on YouTube ( yes I realize it’s funny to say that ) but watch it and you’ll see what I mean it’s like he Was just born with a sixth sense for court awareness ....if anyone has any interest let me know and I’ll post some unique stats and accomplishments to date ....also Blackford sports network on YouTube has archived most Blackford games 

No problem ...in addition to the kind of Disney like Movie script  story ...the kid is a flat out gamer.  Blackford has not been blessed with many solid players but I’ve been lucky enough to get to see several high school  players who have gone on to successful college or pro careers.  I’ve been especially fortunate to see two players MANY times who ended up being impact starting guards at IU and Purdue.  Luke is farther along as a junior with shooting or ball handling  and has a higher basketball iq than either of those two very talented players. He is undersized and doesn’t have “Jump off the page” athleticism so he will have challenges defending larger d1 guards  and having on to wing players.  He is extremely quick and gets lots of steals because he can anticipate plays but he will need another 15 pounds to be able to not be really taken advantage of inside the arc.  He is listed at 6’2 and he isn’t in my opinion.  He’s taller than me but not significantly my guess would be he’s a solid 6ft approaching 6’1 isn’t a crazy assessment but I’d be shocked if he was over that.  He plays in the CIC conference at Blackford who recently switched from 3A to 2A as a result of reduced enrollment  which has produced two state Champions  in the last 4 years at the 2A state level ( frankton and oak hill ) and last year their schedule last year had 7 sectional champions.  One concern is that of their 23 games 5-7 are against solid to great teams, 5ish are against extremely poor teams that don’t have business on the schedule and the others fall between those two.  He is regularly double or triple teamed for the entirety of his games and I can’t recall him having an open shot unless he created it this entire year.  He plays on INdiana Elite 2021 platinum team which was ranked nationally in the top 10 on the adidas gauntlet.  He holds his own against top level D1 competition there and leads the team in assists.  

He has an insanely long resume some interesting stats or accomplishments are as follows :

-most points scored by a freshman in an Ihsaa game 

-took a Blackford team on a 1-7O streak and won 15 games as freshman even missing the final 8 games of the year with injury 

-as a freshman he was the only player in the entire stare of any class level out of over 400 schools to have a 50/40/90

shooting percentage line 

- 3 games of 50 or more points including 2 with 55

- only sophomore to ever lead the state of Indiana in scoring at 35 points per game 

- as a junior he is leading the state in assists by over an assist per game at 10.2 and he is one tenth of a point off the scoring lead at 32.2 per game...no player in Indiana history has lead the state in both categories 

Sorry again I didn’t know how to do that ..thanks so much for taking the time to! I’ll give some game updates this Friday.  Blackford is ranked in the top 10 in class 2A and they are playing the number 18 team from class 3A ...if anyone is interested in watching the game will be broadcast on the Bruin sports network on YouTube ...disclaimer : the “broadcasters” are pretty tough to bear so it may require watching on mute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Good stuff, @Let'sGoZips94.  This will be a better way to keep track of Luke Brown, @Blackford.  Otherwise, all the information you took the time to compile would eventually get buried & lost in the more generic 2021 Recruiting thread.

Thanks ! I’ll update info on games ...good luck to your team looks like you guys are a tourney threat from what I saw the other night 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

And what makes anyone think we can get a guy with this type of resume?

I haven't watched any of videos and I'm by no means an expert on evaluating how a high school players talent will transfer to the next level. That being said, right now Akron is as good, if not better, than any other offer he has outstanding.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

And what makes anyone think we can get a guy with this type of resume?

Great question ...I’m a big fan of the high school program and have followed it as well as his aau group closely ...I chose to post here for two reasons 1. He’s undersized by power 6 standards ...10

years ago this would be your prototypical butler type product but everyone has put a premium on athleticism ...he may be a back up plan if a power six school doesn’t get the first offers they are after but if not from what I saw against ball state you guys are the class of the mac and along with Kent state you’re a legit tournament candidate ....that would interest him ...plus your coach has lead big schools 

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I haven't watched any of videos and I'm by know means an expert on evaluating how a high school players talent will transfer to the next level. That being said, right now Akron is as good, if not better, than any other offer he has outstanding.

After watching you the other night I agree completely ...what class is your 5’8 point guard who is the fastest kid on the court ? Christian ?

2 minutes ago, Blackford said:

After watching you the other night I agree completely ...what class is your 5’8 point guard who is the fastest kid on the court ? Christian ?

He's a junior who has actually graduated but we do expect to see him again next year. Might be a perfect situation. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MDZip said:

He's a junior who has actually graduated but we do expect to see him again next year. Might be a perfect situation. 

I selfishly and honestly would love to see him at a butler or iu which are my teams and have been since an early age ..I would get to watch him regularly ...if he doesn’t get that opportunity then I know he’s competitive enough he would want to 1. Prove people wrong 2. Play as quickly as possible 3. Have a shot at the tourney ....right now from his list that fits you guys best and you have a great coach 

• 2 weeks later...

The last three games have been a Blackford loss to mississinewa ( a team ranked in the top 20 i class above Blackford in size ) by 20 some points brown had 32 of the teams 64 and a couple assists.  2nd game Blackford has an epic collapse with a 24 point lead in the third quarter which they lost in overtime to Winchester where brown had 54 and a handful of assists ....tonight they beat frankton by nearly 30

brown had 31 and 7 by my count 

• Like 1

Alright...Holy moly...Watched several videos, the Ball State recruiting site AND..the 7th Grade film with the 3/4 court underhand pass..??? Consider me...#MindBlown! ???...

First thought:  1982 Mansfield Malabar.  Joseph Jakubick!!!  Joe arrived on campus, having been MVP of the Ohio-Kentucky All-Star Game (Jimmal Ball also made that honor), and had perhaps 150 pounds on his 6'5" torso.  He ended his career in the top 20 scorers in NCAA history.  The similarity is the unorthodox, difficult-to-guard style.  Don't know if it was Joe's quick feet or ability to jitterbug past degenders who had no idea what he would do next, but it was bewildering, and I see the same looks of Luke Brown.  Human highlight film!!  Did I say...???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Alright...Holy moly...Watched several videos, the Ball State recruiting site AND..the 7th Grade film with the 3/4 court underhand pass..??? Consider me...#MindBlown! ???...

First thought:  1982 Mansfield Malabar.  Joseph Jakubick!!!  Joe arrived on campus, having been MVP of the Ohio-Kentucky All-Star Game (Jimmal Ball also made that honor), and had perhaps 150 pounds on his 6'5" torso.  He ended his career in the top 20 scorers in NCAA history.  The similarity is the unorthodox, difficult-to-guard style.  Don't know if it was Joe's quick feet or ability to jitterbug past degenders who had no idea what he would do next, but it was bewildering, and I see the same looks of Luke Brown.  Human highlight film!!  Did I say...???

I’m not familiar with the mentioned comparison so I’m gonna take your word but when they were moving to Blackford I tempered any hype that I had heard until 1. I saw the video you just described which REALLY intrigued me and then 2. Went to the first summer clinic they put on ( I was coaching 8th grade at the time ) and they had him demo a shooting drill ....hit 48 of 50 3’s shooting them at close to the speed you would see in a 3pt contest as an incoming freshman.   I’ve been blessed to see many prep players multiple times who have gone on to have stellar or even above stellar D1 careers and this kids basketball IQ is different than any player I’ve seen 

also ...not sure which bsu site you mean but if they have videos compiled in one spot you should link them here ...I tried to do several separately without luck and another poster tried to help condense them 

Edited by Blackford
  • Like 1

Blackford at northwestern tonight ...gym only holds a little under 2000 so it will be backed ...if you’re going in person make sure to check if tickets are available as they did an online pre-sale.  Tayson Parker is one of the more athletic players you’ll find in the state for northwestern and I’m betting you’ll see Blackford start the game with Luke guarding him man to man so if you’re curious to see how he defends a top notch athlete this would be a good one to catch live or on YouTube.

14 hours ago, Blackford said:

Blackford at northwestern tonight ...gym only holds a little under 2000 so it will be backed ...if you’re going in person make sure to check if tickets are available as they did an online pre-sale.  Tayson Parker is one of the more athletic players you’ll find in the state for northwestern and I’m betting you’ll see Blackford start the game with Luke guarding him man to man so if you’re curious to see how he defends a top notch athlete this would be a good one to catch live or on YouTube.

Thank you for all the updates!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Thank you for all the updates!

No problem ! If you guys want a solid game to gauge him the northwestern game last night is a great one to watch get on YouTube Bruin sports network and watch last nights games  tayson Parker from northwestern is as athletic as the top level Mac players ( not exaggerating) and he had some electrifying dunks ....Luke scored 31 on only 14 shots ...7 of 10

from 3 and 3 of 4 from 2....he had 8 assists to go with it and 6 of those 7 threes made were at least 3 and sometimes up to 10 feet beyond the arc and non of them were open shots  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:52 AM, Z.I.P. said:

Watching Joe play in Memorial Hall was amazing fun, even the teams he was on were pretty poor to average.

It's incredible to consider how many shots he made that would have been six to eight feet behind today's 3-pt line. Crazy technique, zero ball rotation... but absolute money.

The Cavs gave him a shot, and I have no doubt he would have made the team if the 3-pt shot existed at the time. And he eould have thrived, I believe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The NBA added the 3-point line in 1979. Joe graduated Akron in 1984.

But it was not really much of a factor in the NBA game for many years to come. It remained a league of big guys in the post and dribble penetration. A player averaging more than three attempts from 3 per game probably would have been among the league leaders.

If the three was then what it is now, I bet Joe would have had a career as a pro.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Class of 82 said:

But it was not really much of a factor in the NBA game for many years to come. It remained a league of big guys in the post and dribble penetration. A player averaging more than three attempts from 3 per game probably would have been among the league leaders.

If the three was then what it is now, I bet Joe would have had a career as a pro.

It was certainly underutilized for a number of years because A) it was a new foreign concept to coaches and B ) players didn't grow up practicing it so they weren't as good at shooting them as today's players. I'm not going to pretend to know whether or not Joe could have made it in the NBA. I wasn't even born yet when he was at Akron. I was just making it known that the 3-point line did indeed exist.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Class of 82 said:

Watching Joe play in Memorial Hall was amazing fun, even the teams he was on were pretty poor to average.

Joe played in the JAR as well, fun to watch with that unorthodox style but man he had so many different ways to score. Too bad Huggins wasn't hired a couple years earlier. Joe is still far and away the leading scorer in Zips history and it's not close. The gap between him and number two is as big as the gap between #2 and #8. Of course number 2 is Len Paul and had be been eligible to play his freshman year its possible he could have the all-time scoring title.

• Thanks 1