Game 18- Toledo Rockets

clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Toledo played great and we lost a basketball game. Get a grip, it's not the end of the world.

Yep, hope they use this one as a springboard.

Hard to believe Toledo was 9-8 coming in.  They have way too much talent to have that record and they had the better team today.  Willie Jackson is  "grown ass man" on the boards.  Mareon Jackson's performance was one of the better JAR performances I have seen in a while. 

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yep, people say this every time Akron loses a game. We weren't going to go 18-0 in the MAC. The last team to go undefeated in MAC play was Cincy 70 years ago.

My point is that was not a game that kills a fan base.  If folks don't come again after that loss or expect an 18-0 run in the MAC, then they weren't sticking around anyway

• Like 1

Tough loss, but Groce was also spot on when he said it was a fantastic game to watch if you had no skin in it (my paraphrase).  It'll be interesting to see how this game affects both teams.  Can the Zip brush it off and get a W on the dim court in Oxford?  Will Toledo use it as a springboard to dominate the West?

51 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Going to lose one eventually.

Well then Akron eventually has to stop loosing to Toledo it’s only the 5th in a row.The ncaa had us up to a 9 seed if we had won this game but now we’re not the favorite in the Mac & just that fast.One game will make or break you in this league.

12 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Would having Reece available today to battle Willie Jackson been the difference maker? Jackson ended the day with 23 points and 12 rebounds. I'm thinking maybe so.

I think at the beginning of the game.  Riak just can't hack it down there.  10 points at least were made off of Riak's mistakes but there was a lot of breakdown to go around.  Sayles and Riak had some slams but those came from LCJ's amazing assists.  If Reece isn't 100%, then no point in risking further injury during the 5th game of MAC campaign.  Toledo equalized Akron's strengths:  Free Throws and Three pointers.

8 minutes ago, monrowe said:

Well then Akron eventually has to stop loosing to Toledo it’s only the 5th in a row.The ncaa had us up to a 9 seed if we had won this game but now we’re not the favorite in the Mac & just that fast.One game will make or break you in this league.

Where are you getting that? I didn't see any reputable bracketologist have us higher than 12th.

The overreaction by some is asinine. No matter how bad our defense was compared to our standards, Toledo still had to make the shots and they did from everywhere on the floor at an above-50% clip. Not many teams, even P5 teams, can overcome that type of scoring, and we fought pretty damn hard the entire game. Anybody that has a basic understanding of basketball could see Toledo played out of their minds today. We got their best game (ever - in school history), took the L, and now we move on. There are some good takeaways from this game from the X's and I'm standpoint, but the biggest takeaway is this: we're at the top of the MAC; we're going to be getting everyone's best effort, and sometimes their best effort might be good enough to beat us. Onto Brick Building, OH.

• Like 4

First of all, they shot the lights out. We scored 86 points and lost!

Second, they exposed our one glaring weekness - CENTER.

Neither of them can rebound or shoot worth a darn.

If we had Knapke we would probably be dancing for sure.

That being said, they not only had a height advantage but damn! those guys are athletic.

Their record does not reflect their talent.

We lost. Move on.

We ended up with some awful switches in Toledo's run.  LCJ was on Jackson and they would run a ball screen with Jackson and a big which the Zips would switch as they generally do, usually putting Riak on Jackson and LCJ on Willie Jackson or Knapke.  The result was Riak giving Jackson space and Jackson drilling a three or Riak tightening up and Jackson blowing by him.   If Jackson cooled down, we may have seen the bigs exploit Jackson

That switch has generally served them well, but with Jackson having the game of his life, it hurt the Zips today.

Man, that's the worst way to lose. I think we win if Reece is healthy, but that is a moot point. All teams go through injuries and adversity, it's how you respond to it that matters. I didn't have the chance to watch the WVU game, but this one seems like it was similar, you play well enough to win, but you just weren't good enough. That may be the craziest game I've ever seen at the JAR. 

• 2 weeks later...