Game 18- Miami

clarkwgriswold

The 14-4 Zips head to Oxford Tuesday to face the 8-10  Redhawks.  The Redhawks are coming off of a 71-62 loss to Ball State in Muncie.  I'm always uneasy when the Zips play in Millett Hall. The Rehawks put it on PCCC last week on Oxford.  6'4" junior guard Nike Sibande (#1) is again Miami's leading scorer, tallying 14.6 ppg to go with 6 rpg.  6'7" junior forward Dalonte Brown (#13) leads rebounding at 6.3 rpg while adding 12.7 ppg.    Sibande was named to the East Division Preseason All-MAC Team.

The Zips need to spring back from the Toledo loss.

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Millett Hall is one of the top 10 basketball arenas (in Oxford).  I think the seats in Yager Stadium are closer to the football field than the seats are to the court in Millett.

As long as the court isn't elevated!  Like I said, NIU gave the Zips a nice parting gift.  But for that "drop off" Zips would be 5-0 in the MAC

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

As long as the court isn't elevated!  Like I said, NIU gave the Zips a nice parting gift.  But for that "drop off" Zips would be 5-0 in the MAC

Reece doesn't give us a guaranteed win against a team that shoots 50%+ from both beyond the arc and the field. He definitely would have helped spell Riak, and given us some much needed physicality inside. 

This is a must win bounce back game. Suffocate them with defense, make your shots, and all will be well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Part of why Toledo was able to shoot such a high clip was they were able to get Sayles and Riak away from the basket. Both looked extremely exposed on the defensive end when they were forced to guard out on the perimeter. Reece isn't as flat footed as Riak or Sayles so I do believe he would have been able to do a better job on contesting shots when he got switched on a guard. He certainly couldn't have done worse than what Riak did on Marreon Williams.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Riak. Qualify that with they are both great guys and are doing their best on a high level team this year.

No question.  Their shortcomings have nothing to do with effort.    I'll take one Riak or Sayles over a hundred talented head cases (e.g. Harney, Cotton...)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

No question.  Their shortcomings have nothing to do with effort.    I'll take one Riak or Sayles over a hundred talented head cases (e.g. Harney, Cotton...)

100%.  Plus neither guy jumped ship during the rebuild as transfers came and went.  I have a lot of respect for them staying here and working hard, especially Sayles after all the injuries and limits on this PT.

• Like 2

I see this game and the OU game as bigger than the Toledo game.  Toledo was an epic battle and the better team THAT DAY won.  Tonight, Akron can set itself apart from PCCC and the rest by proving they can routinely win these games against the lower half of the MAC on the road.  Apart from this, I will be closely watching the Toledo at Ohio game.  Toledo is only a one point favorite???