Game 18- Miami

clarkwgriswold

This team is just shooting the basket amazingly well.  You have 4 players, Williams, Banks, LCJ, and Cheese that can score from behind the arc or just about anywhere.  I saw Miami play good defense and Akron not able to do anything and LCJ just squares up and hit a deep three.   There is nothing you can do about that.  We are blowing teams out on the road.  Remember last year when we could not win a game on the road.  I watch William come around the pick on the inbounds play and square up and shoot a 3.  The guy just exudes confidence when he shoots.  LCJ is just playing smart basketball.

The one thing I have noticed is that in the beginning of the season we pushed the ball down the court and we were always looking to score in transition.  Now we push the ball down the court but always work the ball for a good shot.    Right now this team is fun to watch!

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1

Exactly the type of win we needed. Coast to coast, kept the foot on their throats, etc. 

Our 4 losses: 2 top 15 teams by 10 & 6 respectively, a top 35 squad, and Toledo's best game in the history of their program (and we still kept it close). 

This team is the team to beat in the MAC. They responded exactly how I expected a senior-led, well-coached team to respond. Very easy group of guys to like and root for.  

25 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

This team is just shooting the basket amazingly well.  You have 4 players, Williams, Banks, Ali, and Cheese that can score from behind the arc or just about anywhere.  I saw Miami play good defense and Akron not able to do anything and LCJ just squares up and hit a deep three.   There is nothing you can do about that.  We are blowing teams out on the road.  Remember last year when we could not win a game on the road.  I watch William come around the pick on the inbounds play and square up and shoot a 3.  The guy just exudes confidence when he shoots.  LCJ is just playing smart basketball.

The one thing I have noticed is that in the beginning of the season we pushed the ball down the court and we were always looking to score in transition.  Now we push the ball down the court but always work the ball for a good shot.    Right now this team is fun to watch!

Ali? He almost never shoots. Not a threat.

8 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Yes, it was a typo.  My mind was thinking LCJ and my fingers typed Ali.  In a couple of years maybe Ali will become a scorer.  Not there yet.  I corrected the typo.  Thanks for reading!!

Ali had a driving left-handed scoop shot in the 2nd half that shows you his potential with his ball handling, length and athleticism.  He was forced to take the shot because the shot clock was expiring, but it was gorgeous.  He'll be on heck of a player as he gains confidence and maybe a few extra lbs.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Ali had a driving left-handed scoop shot in the 2nd half that shows you his potential with his ball handling, length and athleticism.  He was forced to take the shot because the shot clock was expiring, but it was gorgeous.  He'll be on heck of a player as he gains confidence and maybe a few extra lbs.

The 3 freshman this year - Ali, Tribble, Dawson - all look like they belong in some capacity. Their confidence, game, and ability to process the DI game at DI speed might not all be there yet, but you can see the foundation is solid to build on. It's nice that we have such an upperclassmen-heavy team this year that can help guide and take the pressure off these kids, because the depth they add is nice and necessary. The OOC portion of the schedule is where team chemistry is built and X's & O's are smoothed out, but a team really cuts its teeth during the conference portion and these young players are going to only get better. 

• Like 1

"Akron (15-4, 5-1) – which was picked in a preseason MAC coaches’ poll to finish fifth in the division, one rung behind Miami – went into the game leading the MAC in overall made 3-point shots, 3-point shooting percentage and free throw shooting percentage. The Zips also were holding opposing teams to MAC’s lowest overall 3-point shooting percentage."  Still can't understand how anyone picked Miami to finish better than Akron, considering Akron beat them by 29 points in the tournament last year.  But maybe the guys who thought X should be left open from the 3 point line had a vote.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1