(Late) National Signing Day

We are about 2 weeks away from the (Late) National Signing Day.  Has anyone heard any news about additional players that the Zips may sign?  As I go through the 247 website, there are a lot of potential players in the transfer portal that would look good in an Akron uniform.  Also, there are surprisingly many 3+ star players that have yet to sign.  

The way I see it is that Akron has about 7 scholarships that they can give during this late period, if they find qualified student athletes.  Per GOZIPS, they signed 20 players in December, and there is the limit of 25, so my great Akron education tells me that leaves 5 additional players that can sign.  Also, last year they signed 23, so that leaves 2 more scholly's for this year, if they had early signees, which they did have several.  In addition, with several Zips in the transfer portal, they should have the scholarship numbers.  As I look at the roster, there are few talented Juniors and Seniors.  I would like to see the Zips sign 7 more Juco's who have talent that can step in and play.  This will also allow the youngsters to mature for a year and let those 3 star recruits step in and add depth and play next year.  

I am looking for any comments to keep Akron football relevant until the spring game.  

• Like 1

We signed 20 in the early signing period. We have two additional commits since then, in Dimarco Johnson and Charles Amankwaa (both DBs). I would be surprised if anyone who was committed prior to the early signing period, who did not end up signing, will end up making their way on the roster. I don't believe DeShields will count against the 25 (somebody previously posted something about a walk on being in the program 2 years and being offered a scholly doesn't count). I believe we signed 25 last year, whether it was officially announced or not. I also believe you can't rollover unused schollies from the prior year, but i may be wrong there.

With that said, my best guess is we still have 3 scholarships to give out this year. There have been rumors of Andre Williams potentially rejoining the team. I hope he doesn't count against our numbers since he was on scholly last year prior to leaving. I hope we can fill the class with some higher-rated players to get excited about.

Tyrik McDaniel goes to the same high school as Dimarco Johnson. We are recruiting him and he is uncommitted. https://247sports.com/player/tyrik-mcdaniel-46085272 

Deandre Butler is very highly rated (probably too high for us). But he is uncommitted at this point and actually signed with Arth & Chattanooga out of HS, though I don't believe he ever actually made it to campus. https://247sports.com/player/deandre-butler-46052396

Edited by LZIp

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

We signed 20 in the early signing period. We have two additional commits since then, in Dimarco Johnson and Charles Amankwaa (both DBs). I would be surprised if anyone who was committed prior to the early signing period, who did not end up signing, will end up making their way on the roster. I don't believe DeShields will count against the 25 (somebody previously posted something about a walk on being in the program 2 years and being offered a scholly doesn't count). I believe we signed 25 last year, whether it was officially announced or not. I also believe you can't rollover unused schollies from the prior year, but i may be wrong there.

With that said, my best guess is we still have 3 scholarships to give out this year. There have been rumors of Andre Williams potentially rejoining the team. I hope he doesn't count against our numbers since he was on scholly last year prior to leaving. I hope we can fill the class with some higher-rated players to get excited about.

Tyrik McDaniel goes to the same high school as Dimarco Johnson. We are recruiting him and he is uncommitted. https://247sports.com/player/tyrik-mcdaniel-46085272 

Deandre Butler is very highly rated (probably too high for us). But he is uncommitted at this point and actually signed with Arth & Chattanooga out of HS, though I don't believe he ever actually made it to campus. https://247sports.com/player/deandre-butler-46052396

Good info . Thank You !

On 1/23/2020 at 1:22 PM, LZIp said:

Thanks for the update.  You cannot rollover unused schollies, but based on the timing of early enrollees, they can apply to the prior year.  I am not an expert, but there are rules that allow this to happen.  

Regarding the additional commits, thanks.  I see them on 247.  I also see that Zack Leininger is a 3 star transfer at TE.  I am also curious about the following that are listed as Zip Hard Commits: Bass, Rosser, Green, and White.  Are there enrollment issues?  If these all were to sign, the DB signings would be substantial.  As I stated originally, I would still love to see some JUCO's that can start immediately.  At a minimum, I would love to see one OL and one DL signee that could step in and bolster the lines for the next two years and help get us some wins in 2020.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

Thanks for the update.  You cannot rollover unused schollies, but based on the timing of early enrollees, they can apply to the prior year.  I am not an expert, but there are rules that allow this to happen.  

Regarding the additional commits, thanks.  I see them on 247.  I also see that Zack Leininger is a 3 star transfer at TE.  I am also curious about the following that are listed as Zip Hard Commits: Bass, Rosser, Green, and White.  Are there enrollment issues?  If these all were to sign, the DB signings would be substantial.  As I stated originally, I would still love to see some JUCO's that can start immediately.  At a minimum, I would love to see one OL and one DL signee that could step in and bolster the lines for the next two years and help get us some wins in 2020.  

I know Kenny White & Jaquan Green both want to be Zips.  Maybe they'll sign February 5th?  Green is a JUCO DL; White a JUCO CB.

Here is another commitment:

Edited by Blue & Gold

On 1/23/2020 at 1:22 PM, LZIp said:

Just an FYI, Burkhart being medically disqualified keeps a scholarship but his athletic scholarship is given back that can be immediately used towards the 85

• Thanks 2

This young man seems like a great fit at UA. High character, high potential. Probably wants to prove himself  and get on scholarship. We give him a good opportunity to do that. I'm cautious about he program, but I have to give coach Arth credit. he seems to have upgraded the talent in spite of a horrendous last season. That speaks well for the vision he has and the ability of the staff and him to sell it to recruits. I hope he is successful. 

This is not a verbal commit, but I'd be excited about landing this guy

6'6", 225 dual threat QB Stephon Brown of Independence C.C.  Brown is originally from Kernersville, NC.  He was rated a 3-star prospect coming out of high school & signed with Appalachian State.  He also has an offer from Southern Miss.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Stats are great.  His highlights are good.  However, I could not find him in 247 or Rivals database.  I would like to get more information on him.  Watching his highlights, I hope Arth considers signing his receivers.  They looked fantastic.

We might look at the O line .. Remember the QB & WRs are only as good as the  O line .

Apparently didn't start till his senior year.  Maybe should have started as a junior, but the senior in front of him was entrenched, plus ended up setting a bunch of area passing records.  Janikowski is the coaches kid & apparently grew quite a bit between his junior & senior years.  Just piecing together info from various articles online.

Ryan Janikowski article

Vero Beach coach Lenny Jankowski: “Ryan’s made steady progress. I think what’s unique in his situation is that he doesn’t have a ton of game film. He’s a different creature. His body went through a transformation and he’s different looking than he was in the fall. The ball is jumping out of his hand better and he did well for himself this spring.”

• Like 1

With Jankowski committed, I wonder if there is room for Brown at the position. I am a bit surprised Arth brought in another true freshman QB with Marousek already signed. However, the more competition at that position, the better. I just would have preferred a transfer who would be more likely ready to contribute immediately and challenge Kato.

Another player I forgot about is George Qualls. There was mention of him signing on his side after our early signing period class was announced. So we may only have 2 spots left after Jankowski's commitment. A true freshman WR (we haven't signed any yet) and a transfer OL to get me excited about would be a nice close to the class.

Edited by LZIp

Keep an eye out on Rosser ending up here in the end. Akron is now listed as the "favorite" on his 247 profile. I have not seen that before. Maybe he decommitted and couldn't find anyone to take him this late, or maybe he didn't have a choice? Who knows. For what its worth, none of our string of decommits from back in the season have committed anywhere yet (Jordan, Rosser, Bass, and Bulley).

https://247sports.com/player/charles-rosser-46083431/