Game 19- Ohio U

clarkwgriswold

The defense is beginning to concern me. 54 in a half is unacceptable against anyone at this point. X shouldn't have had as many issues as he did today considering his matchups. Cristian is the best little guy to ever wear the uniform. These boys got poise, as I've mentioned before. But certainly credit to Ohio, they've got a fire under them that they haven't had, and once they get good the league as a whole will be better.

On to Buffalo. Let's go 1-0 on Tuesday. 

40 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

The defense is beginning to concern me. 54 in a half is unacceptable against anyone at this point. X shouldn't have had as many issues as he did today considering his matchups. Cristian is the best little guy to ever wear the uniform. These boys got poise, as I've mentioned before. But certainly credit to Ohio, they've got a fire under them that they haven't had, and once they get good the league as a whole will be better.

On to Buffalo. Let's go 1-0 on Tuesday. 

Looking at the Box Score this is a 6 man team and the defense is going to suffer when the opponent gets hot and keeps the game close.  In this and Toledo game, Tribble and Ali and Sayles disappeared.  Sayles played more in Toledo game because of Reece's injury but when going gets tough that core 5/6 are on the floor exclusively

Watched replay last night and noticed two things:

Vander Plas should be "Vander FLOP" Twice he exaggerated the minimal contact.  And also looks like LCJ stopped doing that head jerk anytime an opposing player touches him.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2020/01/ohio-bobcats-mens-basketball-akron-zips-mid-american-conference-john-groce-jeff-boals

Edited by NWAkron

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Have the Zips ever had a PG like LCJ?  I loved the McNees and Darryl Roberts duo. 

Side note, i thought the espn announcers were pretty good until the lady said the refs were checking to see if there was a foul on that play when Preston stole the inbounds and stepped out of bounds.  Don't think they can review for that type of foul.  Also, Boals wasn't contesting any of that.  I remember the Kittens stealing an inbounds pass from the Zips in a MAC Championship game and sending game into OT (?).

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I think Antino had a little LCJ in him. LCJ is obviously on another level but there were similarities. I wonder if he watches LCJ at all and wonders what he could have done in the Groce offense.

Their similarities include their size, quickness, quick shot, and competitiveness. Not sure I've seen players in a Zips uni that wanted/want to win as much as Antino and LCJ. The main difference is I think LCJ is overall more intelligent on the basketball court. That kid knows how to be a floor general AND a scorer. Antino was a bit more raw in that department, but part of that might have been the offense he played in.