Game 20- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

13 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Idk.. Pull a tall kid off the football team. I'm sure Deng is good at a lot of things, however, he just looks lost on the court. Maybe play small, if you're getting out rebounded by 21 with your big on the court maybe that's a sign to try something different

Or sayles..

16 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

What baffles me more is  somebody calling out Deng by name and blaming him, and only him, for the loss. I just can't pathom it either.

Yep, players not named LCJ shot a combined 3/20 from 3 and Reece got 1 rebound in ~15 minutes of play, but only Riak can be blamed for the loss. 

You win and lose as a team. There was plenty of blame to go around tonight. At the end of the day we need to move past this and focus on going 1-0 vs Kent Friday.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

What's the alternative? Reece played 15-20 min and had 1 rebound.

Not sure why Jayden Sayles didn’t see the floor. He couldn’t have done any worse. Is Groce sending him a message for next year? 
don’t care if he didn’t practice well, when you are getting crushed on the glass, get another big body in there...

• Like 1

Another tough matchup, not having a center that matches up with the team's overall potential. Friday will be another tough matchup, especially considering the depth. You're starting to see how it hurts to not have any scoring threat off the bench. Ali, Tribble, and Dawson all badly missed wide open threes. Seems like teams are starting to figure Akron out.

On to Kent. Not technically a must win, but it would be nice to go into the bye + EMU at home with a big road win. 

• Like 2

What we saw tonight is something we are going to be seeing a lot more of in the future, that is teams that are willing to let their big man leave our big man to go help out on defense. That's going to happen until our big men can show some semblance of offense. An open dunk or lob on occasion does not constitute an offensive game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Another tough matchup, not having a center that matches up with the team's overall potential. Friday will be another tough matchup, especially considering the depth. You're starting to see how it hurts to not have any scoring threat off the bench. Ali, Tribble, and Dawson all badly missed wide open threes. Seems like teams are starting to figure Akron out.

On to Kent. Not technically a must win, but it would be nice to go into the bye + EMU at home with a big road win. 

I was typing the exact comments.  When they are missing all those defensive rebounds they are playing twice the defense.  Sort of like in football when the offense keeps going 3 and out.   Groce was trying to sub players in during the first half to keep some fresh legs, but it was disastrous.  And correct @LoyalZIP the other coaches are watching the film.  

That bye week should have come a week earlier.  These guys will need a top 4 seed with this lack of depth.

As for Sayles, does Groce have his eye on a big man graduate transfer for next year??

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

What we saw tonight is something we are going to be seeing a lot more of in the future, that is teams that are willing to let their big man leave our big man to go help out on defense. That's going to happen until our big men can show some semblance of offense. An open dunk or lob on occasion does not constitute an offensive game.

@clarkwgriswold that's some excellent analysis.  Thank you.

9 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

First of all, the word is FATHOM.

Did you guys really go to UA?

Aside from that, all those who continually bad mouth me for saying SIZE MATTERS

TOLD YOU SO.

We do not have a reasonably good big. We get outplayed by the other sides big every time.

7 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

We need a big who is good for 8 boards and 2 blocks a game.

Easy there big fella.  The criticism was that you used Big Dog and Zeke as your measuring sticks, the two best big men in the history of the program, and the implication quality big men were so readily available, not that the team couldn't use quality bigs.  Every team can use quality players.

It wasn't that long ago that you stated: "Most improved player - Riak! Very pleased with the way he is playing. I did not think he would ever be a factor, I was wrong."  You went on to say "Reece is a beast" as 6 of your 14 points in a post.  In reality, neither is as good as you thought then nor are they as bad as you perceive them now immediately after a tough loss.

Riak's shortcomings aren't a lack of effort and he does have an impact on defense.  Reece is a product in development.  As soon as he gets the message that he doesn't always have to leave his man to help and understands the rotations, our interior defense will improve.  

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

TOLD YOU SO.

We do not have a reasonably good big. We get outplayed by the other sides big every time.

Willie Jackson is 6'6 and is leading the MAC in rebounding at 12.4 rebounds per game, which last I checked also had him 3rd in the nation. Mballa, who killed us on the glass, is 6'7.

Height isn't the issue. Riak, at 6'10, had 3 inches of height on Mballa. Buffalo didn't out rebound us because they're taller, they're not. They out rebounded us because they did a better job at getting into position and boxing out. Our rebounding woes isn't a height issue. It's a technique and effort issue.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

I hate the Zips losing games, especially ones like last night where they underperform, but let's have a little perspective.  Not that long ago, we were debating whether they would be a 20 win team and be competitive in the MAC.  They clearly are competitive and should make the 20 win mark.

The sky is not falling.  They are what we hoped for.

I realize this is all easier said than immediately after the game.

8 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

TOLD YOU SO.

LOL.  Their big was gawd awful.  2 points and 4 rebounds.  Like someone said above the guys that killed us were 6’ 7” and below.  It’s effort, not height.

The Zips did not play well. They got outrebounded astronomically. Most of the team seemed to be off offensively. The Zips lost by 3 points, only three points. I think that shows how good this team can be. I honestly don't think they have played as well the last two weeks as they were playing when the MAC schedule started but are still in the game till the end even when not playing well. At Ohio it always seemed that Groce's teams were just OK in the regular season but hit their stride in March. I hope that happens here.