Game 20- Buffalo

clarkwgriswold

We played like @clarkwgriswold told the team we were skipping a game to get to Game 22. ?

The positive takeaways...

- For as bad as we were last night, and for getting out-rebounded by nearly 20, it says something that we only lost by 3 and had a chance to win. We really are back with the top of the pack in the MAC (I'm a poet and I didn't know it). 

- We shot 90%+ from the line last night, only missing two out of twenty-two. LCJ was 11-11. I love how we focus on the fundamentals of basketball. 

- LCJ is quickly becoming the best player I've ever seen in a Zips uniform. 

Overall, it was a bad game. This is the transition season where we start shedding some of the monkeys on our back that have bogged down the program the past couple of seasons. Our road woes are seemingly over, we have good team chemistry, and aside from arguably Liberty, we didn't lose any OOC games we weren't supposed to. Buffalo & Toledo are still 2 monkeys on our back we need to get rid of, but that will come soon enough - I'm confident in that. The little things win in Cleveland, and we're taking our licks now to be the best we can be come March. We're going to have off nights, and we're going to have matchup issues, but I like that we're figuring those out and how to overcome them now rather than in a few weeks or in March. I didn't think Riak was that bad last night. He had a missed alley-oop dunk, and wasn't as strong on the boards as you'd like to see, but I thought our lack of focus on defense as a team put him in some bad positions to help on defense. I think we might have been a bit surprised by Buffalo's athleticism, too. Toledo shot lights out on us; Buffalo out-athleted us, which is the first time that has happened since Louisville/WVU. I trust this staff and this team to learn, adapt, and overcome some of these recent struggles. 

Participation Trophies are garbage, and that's not what I'm advocating for in this post. But our two conference losses are...

- By 10 to a team that put up 99 points on 55%+ shooting from both the field and from 3

- By 3 to the previous King of the Conference when we played our worst game of the season

I'm still very optimistic, and I'm excited for Friday. Go Zips, eh?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

- LCJ is quickly becoming the best player I've ever seen in a Zips uniform. 

? Keep up the hard work, LCJ. Hopefully, others will follow your example!!!