Game 22- PCCC

clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

That incident at the end of a great moment for the Zips was unfortunate and I believe started due to something totally accidental. That being said we don't have to like our rivals but we don't need to show our dislike for them in an overly disrespectful manner. Its a great rivalry and both sides have taken it too far at times. As an Akron alum, though,  I just want to see those supporting my alma mater stay classy even if it is against our most vehement rival.

GO ZIPS!

Win with class.  Lose with class.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Other than Filthy McNasty's in my youth and Ray's Place currently, I have yet to find anything else I like about the whole damn city.

I'll be there tonight. Anybody else?

Beer tastes the same at Kent (Ray's Place, Barfly, Water Street Tavern, etc.) as it does anywhere else I've been. The difference is when I use the restroom there, I feel like I'm getting into the Kent School Spirit with the pee yellow (that they call "gold"). I always feel like I have to take a shower after being in Kent - awful city as a whole. Their Planet Fitness is awful as well. 

In the spirit of this post, who has the image of the Akron guy peeing on the KSUcks logo? We need it.

P.S. The Loft's "Hulk" is actually pretty good. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Beer tastes the same at Kent (Ray's Place, Barfly, Water Street Tavern, etc.) as it does anywhere else I've been. The difference is when I use the restroom there, I feel like I'm getting into the Kent School Spirit with the pee yellow (that they call "gold"). I always feel like I have to take a shower after being in Kent - awful city as a whole. Their Planet Fitness is awful as well. 

In the spirit of this post, who has the image of the Akron guy peeing on the KSUcks logo? We need it.

P.S. The Loft's "Hulk" is actually pretty good. 

I like the vibe of the Loft and the 12oz old school iced beer mugs

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MontrealExposloveZippy said:

Tonight could be a turning point for the rest of conference play, for better or worse, Go Zips!

I think this is spot on. Any game against KSUcks is a must-win in my book due to the rivalry, but if this game was against anybody else, I would echo the must-win urgency. I'd also like to see us get back to what made us so successful prior to Buffalo/O-Who - high level defense, effort, fundamentals. I think part of the lack of bench contributions stems from us tightening up under the pressure and strictly relying on our go-to players, instead of working the ball around with on & off the ball movement opening things up for the perceived "role" players. 

35 minutes ago, MontrealExposloveZippy said:

I like the vibe of the Loft and the 12oz old school iced beer mugs

Agreed on the vibe. It definitely has the most character out of the bars at Kent. Barfly is a cool retro bar that turns into a dance club at night and gets pretty sloppy, Water Street Tavern doesn't really have an identity to me, and Ray's Place doesn't have much character or attraction other than the pool tables. Akron's biggest campus flaw is not embracing the college bar scene, which would also help change the notion that it's a commuter school only. 

Have no idea what to expect tonight.  I worry, like everyone else, that Pippin and Whittington are going to dominate inside.  PCCC has 3 of the top 25 rebounders in the MAC (although they are down the list).  Akron has one with X Williams.  PCCC doesn't have particularly good rebounding #s overall.  However, Akron is at the bottom in both offense and defense rebounds.  Notably Buffalo is at the top on offensive rebounds.  I think Akron's strength with the outside shooting and that the inside game is usually LCJ or Cheese sneaking in for a lay up is likely why the rebounding #s are so bad.  Akron is #1 in turnover margin and that is where they will have to win this game.  Get after those lazy PCCC players and get those transition 3s and dunks. 

Also, I haven't seen the Zips make the big stops when it mattered especially against Toledo, Ohio,and Buffalo.  They head into a long bye week.  Leave it all on the floor 

Edited by NWAkron

Akron's poor rebounding against Buffalo was for multiple reasons. The two big ones I noticed...

1) Buffalo just wanted the ball more. I remember on one play there were 3 Zips jerseys with 1 Buffalo player sandwiched between. The Buffalo player came away with the rebound. A different play Riak secured the rebound, but a Buffalo player ripped it out of his hands. Rebounding is about effort as much as anything else. You need to want the ball more than the other guys.

2) Our guards failed to keep their man in front of them. This forced Riak or Reece to rotate over leaving nobody to box out the opposing bigs. 

We need to have a hunger for the ball and we need to box out. If we can do this, I think we'll win by 8+. 

1) Buffalo just wanted the ball more. I remember on one play there were 3 Zips jerseys with 1 Buffalo player sandwiched between. The Buffalo player came away with the rebound. A different play Riak secured the rebound, but a Buffalo player ripped it out of his hands. Rebounding is about effort as much as anything else. You need to want the ball more than the other guys.

That play cost us the game.