MAC Tournament Seedings

NWAkron

Sky isn't falling, if we can win just one of the final three (and two of the three are at home) we are almost certainly the two or three seed and it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference which one it is. To make the one seed it's looking like we have to beat Buffalo and I'm not confident about that. 2 or 3 is fine, and I like our chances in Cleveland if that happens (and would be nice if the Bulls keep the 4 or 5 seed).

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Sky isn't falling, if we can win just one of the final three (and two of the three are at home) we are almost certainly the two or three seed and it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference which one it is. To make the one seed it's looking like we have to beat Buffalo and I'm not confident about that. 2 or 3 is fine, and I like our chances in Cleveland if that happens (and would be nice if the Bulls keep the 4 or 5 seed).

NIT doesn't do much for me (just speaking for myself) since they surely will be sent on the road.  Apart from Western or Miami and maybe Central, I think any team could win.  Advantage to BG with the depth.  And I can easily see the story line of former BG player turned coach leads his team to first NCAA Tournament bid since the 60s with Justin Turner as the tourney MVP.   

17 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

NIT doesn't do much for me (just speaking for myself) since they surely will be sent on the road.  Apart from Western or Miami and maybe Central, I think any team could win.  Advantage to BG with the depth.  And I can easily see the story line of former BG player turned coach leads his team to first NCAA Tournament bid since the 60s with Justin Turner as the tourney MVP.   

Having postseason basketball beats not having it. I highly doubt this team participates in the CIT or CBI this season. Not to mention there is at least intrigue in Akron playing a team like Cincy (if they miss the NCAAT field). 

Been playing with the simulator and cannot find any scenario where the Zips finish lower than the four seed at long as they win at least one of their remaining games (and several where they could lose two of three and still end up as the second seed). But if we finish tied with Blowing Green there are very few scenarios that give us the top seed now.

Edited by MDZip

I can't find a single scenario so far that would give the Zips the number one seed if they finish tied with Blowing Green. So for the number one seed the zips must finish with a better record. The good news is the Zips last two games are at home and BUGS (who just got thrashed by last place Miami today) must go to Kent and play Buffalo. 

Boils down to this now - Zips have clinched the #2 seed and the only way they can get to #1 is winning one more game than BUGS. Unbelievably BUGS pretty much holds all of the tiebreakers. Aww, you know what, let them have the NIT, as long as we get the NCAA ?

Edited by MDZip

6 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Boils down to this now - Zips have clinched the #2 seed and the only way they can get to #1 is winning one more game than BUGS. Unbelievably BUGS pretty much holds all of the tiebreakers. Aww, you know what, let them have the NIT, as long as we get the NCAA ?

There is still 1 scenario where we'd win a tie-breaker.

We lose to Ohio, beat Kent

BGSU loses to Buffalo and beats Kent

From there we'd need CMU to finish ahead of Toledo in the standings.

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

There is still 1 scenario where we'd win a tie-breaker.

We lose to Ohio, beat Kent

BGSU loses to Buffalo and beats Kent

From there we'd need CMU to finish ahead of Toledo in the standings.

You are correct that is the one I was referring to as pretty much holds all the tiebreakers, but even with that one, just having CMU finish ahead of Toledo doesn't even do it, there also have to be some ties in the middle of the pack so it's pretty unlikely. But yes, possible.