MAC Tournament Seedings

NWAkron

52 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We really just need to take care of our own business and focus on going 1-0 against Ohio tomorrow. We'd already have the #1 seed clinched had we won @BGSU, but we didn't. We lost our right to control our own destiny.

Harsh :)  The #1 or #2 seed doesn't matter to me as much as going in with momentum.  But yeah these are still huge individual games #1 seed is almost certainly going to get Ohio or EMU and #3 seed is looking at Toledo.  Confidence needs to be high.

6 minutes ago, MDZip said:

ESPN has predicted the winners of all 32 conference tournaments.  While I am sure they would have put a lot more effort into it for us had we been named BIG-MAC or MAC-12 or something, they did select Akron to win it and it was unanimous.

I don't think that's much of a surprise. Every key metric (NET, Kenpom, BPI, etc.) has us well out in the lead and even by the eye test we've looked like the best team. The problem is, as we're all well aware, in a single elimination tournament the best team doesn't always win. 

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't think that's much of a surprise. Every key metric (NET, Kenpom, BPI, etc.) has us well out in the lead and even by the eye test we've looked like the best team. The problem is, as we're all well aware, in a single elimination tournament the best team doesn't always win. 

I can't even imagine it.   I can't even picture it.  one game at a time.

Of course, at least we aren't like Blowing Green message board and have a thread entitled "This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament."  They are the Cleveland Indians of the MAC.

52 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I can't even imagine it.   I can't even picture it.  one game at a time.

Of course, at least we aren't like Blowing Green message board and have a thread entitled "This team is NOT going to win the MAC Tournament."  They are the Cleveland Indians of the MAC.

In their defense the MAC tournament has been around for something like 40 years and they are the only MAC team that hasn't won it. 

50 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

In their defense the MAC tournament has been around for something like 40 years and they are the only MAC team that hasn't won it. 

Northwest Ohio is kind of snakebit in the tournament. Even Toledo has only won it once and that was the first year, in 1980. Toledo and Bowling Green have each made it to the tournament finals four times since then and have never won it. Ball State has won the most at 7 championships but their last one came in 2000. The East has absolutely dominated the tournament since then, winning 16 of the 19 in that time. Every East team except BGSU has won it during that time (but MIami should be in that winless category in that time frame, grrrr, still mad. Doug "f*ing" Penno ? ?).

Edited by MDZip

7 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Northern beat them... I think

Whether NIU beat them at this point is irrelevant since they can't catch them, But it is not possible for Can't to get a bye. The best they can possibly do in record is 10-8 And they would have to tie both Buffalo and Ball State would both have to lose so that they would all have 10-8 records And if that happens they lose the tiebreaker to Ball State and Buffalo because in round robin between the three teams Ball State went 2-1, Buffalo 2-2 and Can't 1-2. Can't cannot get a bye. And in that scenario once Can't loses that ends up handing the 4 seed to Buffalo. The only way for Ball State to get the four seed is to have that three-way tie or they win and Buffalo loses. And at one point this season CMU led the MAC West with a 6-2 record And now they have lost nine straight. 

Edited by MDZip

47 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Whether NIU beat them at this point is irrelevant since they can't catch them, But it is not possible for Can't to get a bye. The best they can possibly do in record is 10-8 And they would have to tie both Buffalo and Ball State would both have to lose so that they would all have 10-8 records And if that happens they lose the tiebreaker to Ball State and Buffalo because in round robin between the three teams Ball State went 2-1, Buffalo 2-2 and Can't 1-2. Can't cannot get a bye. And in that scenario once Can't loses that ends up handing the 4 seed to Buffalo. The only way for Ball State to get the four seed is to have that three-way tie or they win and Buffalo loses. And at one point this season CMU led the MAC West with a 6-2 record And now they have lost nine straight. 

Hey, MD, thank you again for finding that tournament simulator!!

33 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

This is going to be a wild ride in the MAC Tournament.  I can make an argument for any of the top 9 going on a run and winning it.  Certainly, some arguments are stronger than others, but it is wide open.

If Zips get #1 seed, getting by that Noon game on Thursday will be the biggest hurdle.  If they can get my that, my confidence will go way up. 

Part of me really doesn't want to play EMU in that Thursday game. We've seen throughout the years that playing at the Q has had a negative impact on a lot of MAC jump shooters as they're use to playing in smaller gyms. For a team like EMU who relies on defense and attacking the paint, this is a great equalizer for them.