MAC Tournament Seedings

NWAkron

44 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

If Zips get #1 seed, getting by that Noon game on Thursday will be the biggest hurdle.  If they can get my that, my confidence will go way up. 

Agreed.  I like the noon game for the extra hours of rest.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of a crowd.

From a selfish perspective, as I mentioned it last night, I want a one seed as it says they won the conference and I want the opportunity to ram that up the ******* of the early Groce doubters who p!$$ed and moaned on here like selfish little girls.  

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Agreed.  I like the noon game for the extra hours of rest.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of a crowd.

From a selfish perspective, as I mentioned it last night, I want a one seed as it says they won the conference and I want the opportunity to ram that up the ******* of the early Groce doubters who p!$$ed and moaned on here like selfish little girls.  

I enjoy the night games.  I went to the Noon game against Buffalo last year.  Bad vibes.  I always remember KDs playing in the first evening session...for whatever reason...even though that wasn't the case.

I was 100% in on Groce.  And now we're seeing the John Groce we loathed when he was at Ohio U.  Coming full circle.  75% there.

Edited by NWAkron

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I was 100% in on Groce.  And now we're seeing the John Groce we loathed when he was at Ohio U.  Coming full circle.  75% there.

Just to be clear you're referring to the fact we loathed him because he was a great tournament coach and had our number, otherwise we have a couple more tournament appearances. Lost to his team in the championship in OT and by one point. Come one John you have some making up to do. ? And I was playing with the simulator a little more just to see who we might end us against, and I realized it doesn't matter. Pretty much any of the top teams who are likely to make it to Cleveland could beat the Zips if they don't play their game and play well. If its Ohio, Buffalo, and BGSU, bring it on (that is a very possible scenario and a pretty tough gauntlet). School record for wins is 27, so beating Kent and winning the tournament would tie the record and an NCAA win ... ?

5 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Just to be clear you're referring to the fact we loathed him because he was a great tournament coach and had our number, otherwise we have a couple more tournament appearances. Lost to his team in the championship in OT and by one point. Come one John you have some making up to do. ? 

Essentially.  Last night when he was on the ladder swirling around the net, I had a PTSD moment without a T Shirt cannon being involved.

Edited by NWAkron

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Yep.  #2 doesn't look so bad other than would need a loss to PCCC to get it.  Hobson's Choice 

Better than Sophie's choice. ? And losing to Kent is never worth any perceived reward. I want total annihilation of PCCC so that they decide not to even bother with Cleveland. I want Mr. Pinky to be a brilliant shade of bright red all game. I want to hit them so hard that their future children will reconsider playing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Yep.  #2 doesn't look so bad other than would need a loss to PCCC to get it.  Hobson's Choice 

I, personally, do not think we will be able to beat OU again.. They're the team that will cause the most disruption in Cleveland. 

44 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Better than Sophie's choice. ? And losing to Kent is never worth any perceived reward. I want total annihilation of PCCC so that they decide not to even bother with Cleveland. I want Mr. Pinky to be a brilliant shade of bright red all game. I want to hit them so hard that their future children will reconsider playing.

Could you be more specific?

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Yikes! It's almost certain we will have to face OU or Toledo in Cleveland.

Playing around with the simulator looks like Zips are on yet another collision course with Eastern Michigan in Cleveland.   That Friday night Ball State/NIU game has a lot of consequences as well.

https://overthepylon.boards.net/thread/3173/seeding-scenario?page=2

(Ball State has one of the better message boards. It's enjoyable reading as they tie themselves in mental knots trying to figure out the tiebreakers)

Edited by NWAkron

39 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

OU is pretty beat up.  It was like Hacksaw Ridge on their bench last night.

While that's true, they played as well as they could have in the first half and failed to get it done.  The program is still thin.  Boals will make them a legitimate contender in 2 years.  Saul Phillips was a $500,000/year disaster.

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

And grow up Akron fans because their dads' butts got whooped so hard by us. 

29 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

While that's true, they played as well as they could have in the first half and failed to get it done.  The program is still thin.  Boals will make them a legitimate contender in 2 years.  Saul Phillips was a $500,000/year disaster.

They definitely will be good with 4 of the starters freshmen and sophomores.  I am wondering if any of the sophomores leave for bigger opportunities since they weren’t recruited by Boals?  If they stay watch out. I think Preston will be a professional and could get an NBA look when the time comes.

33 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

3 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

They definitely will be good with 4 of the starters freshmen and sophomores.  I am wondering if any of the sophomores leave for bigger opportunities since they weren’t recruited by Boals?  If they stay watch out. I think Preston will be a professional and could get an NBA look when the time comes.

Boals/Groce could be the biggest coaching rivalry in a long time in the MAC. Dambrot/Christian, Dambrot/Groce (we love you now, John haha), and maybe Dambrot/Hurley were all great. Coles was a fantastic coach but he never had enemies - even O-Who respected him. Boals has a nice crop of young talent and I only expect O-Who to get better and better. Great hire by BFE University. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Boals/Groce could be the biggest coaching rivalry in a long time in the MAC. Dambrot/Christian, Dambrot/Groce (we love you now, John haha), and maybe Dambrot/Hurley were all great. Coles was a fantastic coach but he never had enemies - even O-Who respected him. Boals has a nice crop of young talent and I only expect O-Who to get better and better. Great hire by BFE University. 

When Miami beat BG the other day, the two coaches embraced and spent 30 seconds or so apparently saying nice things to each other.  We didn't see that last night.  Watching the replay, I saw Boals turn around near the end and chew out his assistant coach and couldn't tell why.  We really needed the old Rowdies riding Boals last night.

Edited by NWAkron

So as near as I can break it down here is where the top six can land. Akron wins they get the #1 seed, if they lose and BGSU wins, BGSU gets the top seed, simple as that. NIU will be either the three or four seed. Buffalo will be either 4,5 or 6, and in every scenario I could come up with they follow us around for a potential semis matchup. If we are the 1 they are the 4 or 5, if we are the 2 they are the 6. Ball State will be anywhere from 3 to 5. Kent cannot get a bye no matter what so they will be #5 or #6. None of these teams can drop to 7 or lower. And the bottom 6 are a "mish-mash of a hog waller".

12 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Would you guys rather face Toledo or OU?

Toledo. 

Both teams have the talent that scares me, but O-Who has the fan base to give them home court advantage in Cleveland. Plus, if Toledo shoots 55%+ from the entire field again against us, we could possibly call for a NCAA investigation to see if they're drinking Michael's Secret Stuff.