MAC Tournament Seedings

NWAkron

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

So as near as I can break it down here is where the top six can land. Akron wins they get the #1 seed, if they lose and BGSU wins, BGSU gets the top seed, simple as that. NIU will be either the three or four seed. Buffalo will be either 4,5 or 6, and in every scenario I could come up with they follow us around for a potential semis matchup. If we are the 1 they are the 4 or 5, if we are the 2 they are the 6. Ball State will be anywhere from 3 to 5. Kent cannot get a bye no matter what so they will be #5 or #6. None of these teams can drop to 7 or lower. And the bottom 6 are a "mish-mash of a hog waller".

If  PCCC, NIU (or Snow Mutts as BSU calls them), Western, Miami, and Eastern win tomorrow, then Akron would be in lower bracket with NIU, PCCC, Toledo, Western, and Central.  It's bizarre that that the results of the Akron game can have such a snowball effect on the seedings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_MAC_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

This doesn't burn as much 10 years hence but it looks like Akron and PCCC played for the regular season championship and PCCC won sending Akron to the Central Michigan side of the bracket.  I remember thinking at the time...bad fortune turned into good fortune!  Then Zips barely scrape by EMU (again!) and WMU then run into Kittens who ran the table after winning in OT on the road in Muncie.  Reminder...anything, anything can happen when there isn't a team AS dominant as last year's Bulls.

(I don't remember the bracket being this uncertain going into the last night of games)

Edited by NWAkron

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_MAC_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

This doesn't burn as much 10 years hence but it looks like Akron and PCCC played for the regular season championship and PCCC won sending Akron to the Central Michigan side of the bracket.  I remember thinking at the time...bad fortune turned into good fortune!  Then Zips barely scrape by EMU (again!) and WMU then run into Kittens who ran the table after winning in OT on the road in Muncie.  Reminder...anything, anything can happen when there isn't a team AS dominant as last year's Bulls.

CMU could easily of knocked off Buffalo in the semi-final game. There is a reason the MAC hasn't had an undefeated team in conference play in 70 years. It's too deep of a conference so teams are vulnerable to lose on nearly any given night. 

ESPN on what you need to win a conference tournament.

1. Great Guard play. I think LCJ, Tyler Cheese and Channel Banks qualify, no?

2. Players who lead (and a player of the year candidate helps) LCJ again (and some of Tyler Cheese and Xeyrious Williams)

3. Tough guys - Cam Reese, Channel Banks, LCJ again - check

4. A coaching staff that can prepare -- the right way -- on a tight turnaround - hmm, think John Groce and his staff has demonstrated some capability here

5. A good recovery plan - playing at noon on Thursday should help, but come on training staff! ?

Recovery time is personally my biggest worry.  We have not relied very much on bench contributions through the season, and fatigue (should we make it to Sunday) could really hurt a team like this.  I think this is a very talented, well-coached Akron team, but I have questions on our depth.  Any thoughts?

24 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Recovery time is personally my biggest worry.  We have not relied very much on bench contributions through the season, and fatigue (should we make it to Sunday) could really hurt a team like this.  I think this is a very talented, well-coached Akron team, but I have questions on our depth.  Any thoughts?

I like how Tribble, Ali Ali, and even Dawson have stepped up in the past week or 2. If that continues, your depth looks like this...

PG - LCJ, Tribble

2G - Cheese, Dawson

F - Banks, Ali

F - X, Reece

C - Riak, Sayles

10 deep is deeper than many teams we'll face. The key is getting meaningful minutes out of Reece, Ali, Dawson, Sayles and Tribble, which we've seen recently is very possible. Additionally, defense is typically the key to winning in Cleveland, and while Ali/Dawson/Tribble/Reece/Sayles may not contribute as much on offense, their defense is typically stout. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

OU

OU has a young team that crumbles under pressure. Toledo is a veteran squad that has a big 3 that's as good as any MAC teams big 3 besides ours.

Agree.  Of course, it seems like EMU and that Zone is lurking around every corner.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I'll take our chances with recovery if we make it to Sunday ?

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

I'm less worried about it now than back when our best player was pushing 300 lbs.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Haha 2

With only the Ball State NIU game left to go the zips are pretty well locked in to seeing OU again. They are the eight seed with CMU being the nine seed. if Ball State wins that drops Buffalo to the five if they lose Buffalo gets the four. I'd rather see the Bulls get an extra game so I'm rooting for Ball State. But that bottom bracket looks a whole lot easier than the top. 

On 3/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, Aaron said:

WAIT!  The final is on Sunday this year??  ?  When are the semis...? ?

BSU crushing the Snow Mutts.  Looks like Buffalo's win was for naught.

Watched some of the CBS roundtable after the game and the guy had a funny comment about BG game.  He's like "BG needed to win and Akron lose and they got neither.  Akron earned the #1 seed while still on the court."

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1