Game 23- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

Can't believe we won that game, but I'll take it. We got incredibly lucky at the end with EMU choking and our players finally hitting some shots. Obviously I'm happy we were able to come out with the win, but am I the only one who has a real problem with Groce's end of game strategy today, even though it ended up working out??!! I just cannot get behind giving the opponent free points with just under a minute left while we are only down one score. 

Regardless, can we kick EMU and their boring a$$ style of play out of the MAC already?? Why would any player want to play for that program? Incredibly boring style of play. I don't recall a team EVER not trying to rebound on their own player's FT attempts regularly throughout a game. They'd rather make sure they are set up in their lame zone. The true CBB equivalent of "parking the bus". ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Can't believe we won that game, but I'll take it. We got incredibly lucky at the end with EMU choking and our players finally hitting some shots. Obviously I'm happy we were able to come out with the win, but am I the only one who has a real problem with Groce's end of game strategy today, even though it ended up working out??!! I just cannot get behind giving the opponent free points with just under a minute left while we are only down one score. 

Regardless, can we kick EMU and their boring a$$ style of play out of the MAC already?? Why would any player want to play for that program? Incredibly boring style of play. I don't recall a team EVER not trying to rebound on their own player's FT attempts regularly throughout a game. They'd rather make sure they are set up in their lame zone. The true CBB equivalent of "parking the bus". ?

Word.  I said the same thing to the folks around me.  "That damn zone is more important than anything else."  In Groce's interview with Frenchy after the game, he said they were playing the odds that EMU would miss FTs.  Why did Murphy call timeout when Akron didn't have any and his player was on the line? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'd normally agree, but EMU came in something like 340th in the country in ft% and was making <50% for the game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

The replay is here:

https://www.espn.com/watch/?id=7ac602ad-e91b-45e5-b5b3-d4b3b936e769

The initial contact was at .5 seconds on the clock, the clock was expired when they hit the floor.

Tough call, it really could have been called a charge, Banks had position and the player ran right into him.

Ref made signal of a jump ball and called it a game.

• Like 1

After losing some close games it was nice to see 4 clutch plays at the end of the game by our big four players.  Cheese hit a long 3 pointer, LCJ hit a floater in the lane, passed the ball to Williams and fell down in front of Williams so the the defender could not get in his face, Williams made the 3 with 4 seconds left and Banks made the defensive play at the end of the game.  This team needed to win a game by playing well in the last minute.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

After losing some close games it was nice to see 4 clutch plays at the end of the game by our big four players.  Cheese hit a long 3 pointer, LCJ hit a floater in the lane, passed the ball to Williams and fell down in front of Williams so the the defender could not get in his face, Williams made the 3 with 4 seconds left and Banks made the defensive play at the end of the game.  This team needed to win a game by playing well in the last minute.

Didn't think about that being the reason LCJ fell.

Groce out-coached Murphy at the end:

1. Murphy screaming at players instead of encouraging them.

2. Not keeping 2 guys at basket to grab a likely missed free throw.

3.  Calling timeout after his guy missed FT and give Akron opportunity to set up a play.

4. Didn't NCState do the same thing to Phi Slamma Jamma.  Keep fouling and play the odds.

EMU making their typical late season push to save Rob Murphy's job. After starting off 0 and 7 they have climbed out of the basement in the MAC West And if the zips hadn't pulled off that sort of miracle win against them they would have won five straight. Kind of glad we're done with them for the regular season don't actually want to see them in the tournament. 

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

EMU making their typical late season push to save Rob Murphy's job. After starting off 0 and 7 they have climbed out of the basement in the MAC West And if the zips hadn't pulled off that sort of miracle win against them they would have won five straight. Kind of glad we're done with them for the regular season don't actually want to see them in the tournament. 

Yeah.  Annoying isn't it?   Frankly, I was especially annoyed by Toledo and Ball State and their average coaches thus weekend.  They could have done the Zips a favor but flopped at home.  And Pinky also always does just enough to stay above mediocrity. And to bring it all together, PCCC travels to Ypsilanti on Tuesday.

Edited by NWAkron