Game 24- Bowling Green

clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The Blade, much more insightful, more interviews than sleepy George.  George could have written his article from having a box score sent to him.

35 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Assuming LCJ's play doesn't nosedive the rest of the season, did he secure the MAC POY last night?

Everyone still has 6-7 (in CMU case 8 ) games remaining. LCJ surely secured himself as being a front runner, but there are too many games remaining to say that he's already won it. The MAC POY award is as much a team award as it is a player award. That's why M. Jackson of Toledo, who has statistically been the MAC's 2nd best player, has no chance for the award. Regardless of how LCJ plays the next 7 games, Akron would need a strong finish for him to get it.  

8 minutes ago, a-zip said:

The Blade, much more insightful, more interviews than sleepy George.  George could have written his article from having a box score sent to him.

I was listening to the radio broadcast after the game. I heard them say 2 Toledo news stations and the local paper were in attendance. I wish we got that kind of coverage for a home game, let alone a road game. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Dawson is FAST. I mean, really fast. Easily runs the court faster than anyone else on the team.

He made a couple very nice moves under the basket against EMU. I think he's starting to catch up to game speed and am excited to see what he has to offer down the stretch. Big dude, built like a middle linebacker

37 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

German, Flowers, LCJ, M Jackson, and??? First team MAC?

This is how I'd have it

First Team:

LCJ 

M. Jackson

Turner

German

Teague

Second Team:

Cheese

Flowers

Graves

Preston

Knapke/Plowden/McKay (Not really sure on this last spot)

Edited by kreed5120

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice job.  I'd work in Willie Jackson somewhere and possibly Plowden.

Yeah, I expect Plowden's numbers will trend up with Frye no longer in the picture. He'll likely claim a 2nd team nomination by the end of a season. BG is good now, but they will be a force to be reckoned with next season if they can avoid Plowden and Turner from transferring.

It's hard for me to include Willie on a 2nd or 3rd team just because Toledo is 4-8. How could any MAC team be that bad if they have 3 of the MAC's top 15 players, especially when 1 of them is top 5? In reality it's probably just a poor reflection on Kowalczyk. I know Toledo fans will say it's because they have no depth, but if you look a cross the MAC that's true for every team besides BG and maybe Kent. Hell we as Akron fans cringe anytime one of the freshmen 3 see the floor.

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Hell we as Akron fans cringe anytime one of the freshmen 3 see the floor.

Tribble probably played his best game last night. He was assertive on the offensive and and played solid D.  Missed a couple layups, and had a wide open 3-footer in the paint that he passed out of, but overall he made some positive steps last night.

Ali does use his length well on the defensive side of the ball. He's a hustler. 

Dawson pulled down a nice rebound at a critical point last night, and works hard on D. He gets a tiny bit better every game.

Our Big 4 need to score the ball on offense, so the freshman's/bench's role is pretty much to defend as hard as possible during their limited minutes. But it would be a big help if they could start draining a couple shots as we approach March. 

24 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yeah, I expect Plowden's numbers will trend up with Frye no longer in the picture. He'll likely claim a 2nd team nomination by the end of a season. BG is good now, but they will be a force to be reckoned with next season if they can avoid Plowden and Turner from transferring.

It's hard for me to include Willie on a 2nd or 3rd team just because Toledo is 4-8. How could any MAC team be that bad if they have 3 of the MAC's top 15 players, especially when 1 of them is top 5? In reality it's probably just a poor reflection on Kowalczyk. I know Toledo fans will say it's because they have no depth, but if you look a cross the MAC that's true for every team besides BG and maybe Kent. Hell we as Akron fans cringe anytime one of the freshmen 3 see the floor.

At 6'6" Jackson's running away with the MAC rebounding title.  No one else is even close and no one in the MAC has averaged as many per game since the 16-17 season.  He's also averaging 12 ppg making him the only MAC player averaging a double double.  That's my reason for including him.

I don't buy the no depth argument for Toledo.  They should be able to win with the seven dwarfs on the roster with the Jacksons and Knapke.      

22 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Tribble probably played his best game last night. He was assertive on the offensive and and played solid D.  Missed a couple layups, and had a wide open 3-footer in the paint that he passed out of, but overall he made some positive steps last night.

Ali does use his length well on the defensive side of the ball. He's a hustler. 

Dawson pulled down a nice rebound at a critical point last night, and works hard on D. He gets a tiny bit better every game.

Our Big 4 need to score the ball on offense, so the freshman's/bench's role is pretty much to defend as hard as possible during their limited minutes. But it would be a big help if they could start draining a couple shots as we approach March. 

Yeah, overall I'd say Ali has been the most consistent. He has played solid defense and hasn't made many plays that have killed us. He's an offensive liability at the moment, but has been a serviceable body that has embraced his role.

Tribble has had a few decent games this season, mostly during OOC play against inferior competition. I think him and Dawson will end up being really good for us at some point. Both have kind of just made a lot of sloppy turnovers and inopportune fouls. I'd categorize them as freshmen mistakes. Both probably played their best all around game of MAC play last night. Hopefully they can both build on that and Groce confidence in them will increase. We'll need them for Cleveland.

Ali needs to think about shooting once in a while. He seems to have little confidence and immediately looks to pass. He passed up one really good look last night that I remember.

Tribble looked more confident last night than I've seen him this year. I wonder if some of these guys get a little intimidated and afraid to shoot when they're on the floor with Cheese, LCJ, X and Banks.. Tribble has the skill if he starts to take charge a little more imo. Dawson is getting there as well. 

20 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Is there a box score available that shows number of lay-ups?  That would mitigate lack of assists.

If it exists, I wouldn't know where to find it. We scored 34 points in the paint and an additional 21 at the free throw line. That's a combined 55 points, which doesn't leave much room for catch and shoot baskets. I kind of viewed the lack of assists as Akron adapting to what the defense was giving them. It's good to have that kind of versatility.

It might not look like it in the boxscore, as LCJ finished with 28, but BG #1 focus was to keep the ball out of LCJ so we couldn't get set in our normal offense. Even after they made baskets, they'd front him so that the inbounder would have to pass it to Cheese or someone else to get the ball pass the mid-court.This seemed to open up lanes to the basket.

image.png

https://gozips.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/bowling-green/boxscore/6172

Edited by kreed5120

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

From what i've seen so far, I don't picture Ali, Tribble, or Dawson ever being much of a threat shooting the ball. I think all are good athletes,defenders, and have the capability of being pretty good slashers, however.

LCJ, Banks and Cheese all made substantial improvements in their shooting percentages this year. I have to believe Tribble, Dawson and Ali will be much improved in 2020-21. And hopefully elevating to "dangerous" in 2021-22. 

Ali reminds me of Deji Ibitayo. Athletic, raw and skinny. Deji was a frustrating shooter his first 2 seasons, and had great Junior and Senior campaigns behind the arc.

Somebody is going to need to drain 3's after the Big 4 are gone. That has to be a huge point of emphasis for Groce in the coming off-season.

• Like 1

The 3 ball certainly doesn't appear to be a part of Tribble's game at the moment. He's played 379 minutes and has only attempted 6 of them, often passing up wide open looks. That's not to say he won't develop the ability and/or confidence at some point to shoot them. 

Dawson sat out the entire fall semester without practicing with the team. He's played in 11 games thus far and is averaging under 5 minutes per game (51 minutes total). It's hard for any player to develop any sort of rhythm when they're only inserted into a game for 2 minute chunks. That said, he hasn't been shy to shoot it when he's gotten a good look. He's 0-6 thus far, but that's honestly just too small of a sample size to jump to any conclusions. Groce obviously thinks Dawson can shoot it as I've seen him use him in some offense for defense substitutions.