Game 25- Central Michigan

clarkwgriswold

17 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Riak needs to learn some basics

In the last few games, he has
Stepped on the line on an inbounds pass

had two inbounds passes picked off.

This is not acceptable in D1 hoops where we win or lose by one point!

He seems like a great teammate, great kid, great defender.. but it was okay when we had no other option last year. Reece is 10x the player on offense, a much better rebounder, and just a better fit for our style. Riak would probably be better suited, and more effective to boot, playing 10-15 minutes a night. Imo

19 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I'm going to miss Groce when he leaves. He's an A1 guy and a damn good coach. Hopefully he sticks around at least thru next year. 

I struggle to see it happening after this season or next season. His "failure" at Illinois may make him more hesitant, as well as other programs. While this season has been great, and reminds me of my college days (Zeke era), he hasn't done anything here yet.  But hey..if he wants to win a tourney game and head out, so be it. He didn't do that at OU though.

Edited by LZIp

Nice job by the Zips tonight. In some ways I think it' was one of their very best all around performances of the season. Nothing spectacular but just a good old fashioned grind it out game on a foreign floor. They kept their heads about them when CMU put in their little runs and I thought the D was very, very good. Holding CMU to under 70 pts. in their gym is no easy task. 

Oh, and LCJ continues to amaze.

I agree that Reece should see an uptick in minutes. I still think Riak should start for 2 reasons. 1) Reece is the only one that can consistently score on the bench 2) Reece has a bad habit of committing dumb fouls, which could lead to him getting into early foul trouble.

I'd start Riak, but try to play Reece 22-25 of the minutes. I do think the offense for defense substitutions near the end of games is the right call. 

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I don't buy this logic. If he can score wouldn't you want him on the floor? I do agree he needs to do a better job of staying out of foul trouble. 

Starting is overrated IMO. If he's getting 22-25 minutes off the bench, he's still playing the same number of minutes you're proposing.

If Reece comes in off the bench after the 1st media tv timeout he's probably going to be our #3 scoring option. If he starts, he's going to be the #5 option. Riak being an offensive liability isn't that big of a deal when we have the big 4 (Xeyrius, Cheese, LCJ, and Banks) on the floor. He becomes more exposed when he has to share the court with multiple members of the freshmen 3. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Starting is overrated IMO. If he's getting 22-25 minutes off the bench, he's still playing the same number of minutes you're proposing.

If Reece comes in off the bench after the 1st media tv timeout he's probably going to be our #3 scoring option. If he starts, he's going to be the #5 option. Riak being an offensive liability isn't that big of a deal when we have the big 4 (Xeyrius, Cheese, LCJ, and Banks) on the floor. He becomes more exposed when he has to share the court with multiple members of the freshmen 3. 

Riak is making some good defensive plays/stops.  He redirected a few if their lay ups.  

On another note, what a lame crowd for an ESPNU game.  Zips sucked the life out of that arena.  CMU likely gets more fans to their women's games.  And those announcers sounded like two guys watching the game at a bar.  Jackie Windon is a treasure 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Riak is making some good defensive plays/stops.  He redirected a few if their lay ups.  

On another note, what a lame crowd for an ESPNU game.  Zips sucked the life out of that arena.  CMU likely gets more fans to their women's games.  And those announcers sounded like two guys watching the game at a bar.  Jackie Windon is a treasure 

Those were ESPN employees. I can't imagine CMU broadcasters would be anywhere near that bad. They had trouble pronouncing player names and its not like any of these guys had that challenging of names. I guess that's why they're on ESPNU instead of one of Disney's flagship stations.

Edited by kreed5120

If Reece is to be a starter, he has to play smarter.  I love his motor and his effort.  While undersized, he generally holds his own down low.  However, he commits way too many fouls to be on the floor for extended periods, at the clip of a foul every six minutes.  To put that in perspective, Cheese has the same number of fouls (65) and has played a whopping 351 more minutes than Reece.

NWAkron is right on in his assessment of Jackie Whindon.  Surprised she's still just on the Zips ESPN+ broadcasts.

• Like 1

LCJ is amazing. We're spoiled to watch him in an Akron uniform. 

Big road win. I'm stoked to see this team come back from their couple-week-lapse and put together several strong efforts in a row. They might not always shoot the best, but man are they just a great TEAM. Aside from LCJ, someone is always picking someone else up when their down. If one of Cheese/Banks/X is off, at least one of the other 2 are pulling the extra weight. If Riak is struggling, Reece is picking up the slack. Even Tribble is starting to be able to spell LCJ without it being a huge detriment to the flow of the game (not saying Tribble is the player LCJ is, but he's not a liability). 

This has been a fun season. Excited to see where it ends. 

• Like 2