Game 26- Western Michigan

clarkwgriswold

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I wish Tribble would simplify his lay-up attempts, but he's going to be a special guard I feel. 

Yes, he seems very raw and stubborn as far as what he does, like he does the same thing every time. I'm not sure how he gets some of his layups to fall with how out of control he can be. He'll benefit from another offseason.

3 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Bigger ?:  Did he save his Akron career tonight?  May have to edit posts on the Recruiting thread! ??

I don't think anyone (self included) were trying to force him out of town. It just seemed he completely fell out of the rotation and I can't imagine many players want to ride the bench their senior season.

He took advantage of his minutes tonight and deserves minutes next game.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Not giving this one back, but I am getting a little tired of ugly wins.

X's shot problems have now gone from mechanics into his head.

X made the two biggest 3s of the season.  It's almost like that Eastern Michigan win saved the season.  There was a pall hanging over the JAR that fateful Saturday.  Then X with the help of the Hurons Smallsville pulled off the miracle.

The Zips aren't Buffalo of last year.  They are a well-coached team that rode its starting 5 pretty hard for most of the season.  They are playing way beyond predictions.  They may go 0-2 on the road vs. Buffalo and BG, so these two wins and a win on Saturday would be huge.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

Paranormal Mosaic . All the platform IPAs are decent but that is my favorite. The Haze Jude is a close 2nd . 

And you sir?

Ah, not a huge Platform fan myself, but Haze Jude is a solid offering. And Mosaic hops are one of my favorites so I'm sure I'd enjoy that. I had a few White Rajahs last night (Brew Kettle, Strongsville). Also not my favorite but it was fresh and it was on sale. Cheers to another win!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I knew that X man had a bad shooting game but was surprised to see he was 1 of 12.  I remember his lone basket and it was a fade away from 10 feet over a defender as time ran out.  I did not realize that Banks had a tough shooting night and was 1 of 5.  X man is triggering some fast 3 pointers over the defender  and when he is off they have not been close.  He needs to get better shots.  THe fact that this team can win on the road when 2 of our best players shoot 2 for 17 and no three pointers is a credit to Groce and well this team is playing on defense.  Tribble played some great minutes while Cheese and LCJ carried the team.

Before the game I noticed how Sayles seemed to buy into Groce's system in that he has lost weight and seems quicker.  Last night he played some great minutes and had great chemistry with LCJ on the give and go.  Jackson can make you look good as  long as your hands are ready to receive the ball as you move to the basket.  This is the first time I have said this in 2 years but I would like to see Sayles get more minutes.  This team has a chance for the one seed.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I commented in an earlier post that Sayles looks leaner and quicker.  He looked very aggressive with a steal and going strong to the hoop.  It would be great to have another big contribute to this team.  The offensive foul did not bother me because it was an aggressive move to the basket.  Would love to see this 3rd year guy be successful on the court.  I think X is pulling the trigger to quickly on the 3 ball.  Cheese and Jackson are instant offense.  Love the aggressive defense.

For the life of me, I don't understand why Groce has not been playing Sayles all season. Hopefully he has now seen the error of his ways. This team is MUCH better when Sayles or Reece are on the floor.

• Like 1

Earlier in the year it seemed a lot of Sayles touches came in post up situations. He has always displayed great footwork in the post, but his issue was finishing at the rim. He has seemed to have found what works from him on offense by cutting to the basket, catching the ball in traffic, and finishing at the rim. He seemed to play with great effort on the defensive end and actually boxed out. He's a much better defender than Reece. He looked like a guy who was hungry to play and made the most of his opportunity. I'm guessing that's why Groce decided to just leave Reece on the bench with 4 fouls instead of putting him back into the game.

13 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Before the game I noticed how Sayles seemed to buy into Groce's system in that he has lost weight and seems quicker.  Last night he played some great minutes and had great chemistry with LCJ on the give and go.  Jackson can make you look good as  long as your hands are ready to receive the ball as you move to the basket.  This is the first time I have said this in 2 years but I would like to see Sayles get more minutes.  This team has a chance for the one seed.  

That give 'n go was when I posted that Riak is our 3rd best center. Sayles taking that pass and going to the rim was exactly what makes LCJ more dangerous. When Riak is on the floor, not only is he no threat to score, he takes away a lot of our dribble-drive threats because defenders underneath aren't as afraid to help out and leave Riak alone. Sayles and Reece on the floor give LCJ, as well as Banks and Cheese, more room and more options when they get to the lane.

Riak is a great defender, and he had a huge block at the end of the game. I think he has a role but his offensive limitations make it hard to see him play 20+ minutes.

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

X made the two biggest 3s of the season.  It's almost like that Eastern Michigan win saved the season.  There was a pall hanging over the JAR that fateful Saturday.  Then X with the help of the Hurons Smallsville pulled off the miracle.

The Zips aren't Buffalo of last year.  They are a well-coached team that rode its starting 5 pretty hard for most of the season.  They are playing way beyond predictions.  They may go 0-2 on the road vs. Buffalo and BG, so these two wins and a win on Saturday would be huge.

No doubt.  I think he's a great addition to the team.  Plays hard and appears to be a great teammate.  Unfortunately, he's in an awful shooting slump.  His last 4 games:

Western- 1-12 from the field, 0-6 from 3 point

Central- 3-11 from the field, 1-7 from 3 point

BG- 4-8 from the field, 0-3 from 3 point

Eastern- 4-13 from the field, 2-10 from 3 point

That works out to 12-44 (27%) from the field and  3-26 (12%) from 3 point range.  That's abysmal for a kid of his talent level.  I trust he'll find it as he is a hard worker and isn't shutting down like some kids do.  A kid like him needs to shoot his way out of it and I trust he will.  Another factor in it is that defenses have adjusted and are pressuring him at the 3 point line, but there's no reason he shouldn't be a 35% three point shooter and I trust he'll get it back.

Sayles is the best pick and roll big man they have.  He rolls to the basket with a purpose, usually catches the ball when it is passed to him and is aggressive when he gets it.  That being said, I have to trust the guys who work with him 7 days a week and see him in every practice and game.  He's not that far removed from the kid who often looked lost and tentative on the floor.  He can be invaluable in contributing to the Zips shorthanded post game, but he's not going to become the savior.  It's going to be interesting to see if the coaching staff rewards him for his play at the Zoo.

• Like 1

Zips didn't deserve to win this one or the EMU game, but they did.  I'm a fan of pulling out Ws that should've been Ls.

My fear is the regression of shooting percentages.  We were a BAD 3pt shooting team last year and a GREAT shooting 3pt team this year, up until about 2 weeks ago.  

Can't look past Miami this weekend, they've been playing a little better.  When we play BG, I expect to win.  When we play UB, I expect to lose.  Hoping we go no worse than 4-1 to end the year.

The best time for X to be in a shooting slump is right now. Every player goes through some sort of slump. You could say last night was a FT slump at the end of the game for LCJ. X has proven he's a big moment player, and I think the slump will be broken in Cleveland at the latest. 

Sayles has really improved this season. I don't think he played much earlier in the year because I don't think he was up to speed with Groce's system. Bought in? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean he was ready for the speed of the offense yet. He looks way more alert and ready recently, proven by his reception of LCJ's passes in the paint. He's going to be an asset in Cleveland.