2020 Commit: "Stretch 4" Taylor Currie

Since Groce has been here, we've took players from Iowa, ECU, South Carolina, Dayton, Long Beach State, Florida, and St Johns. Some have been pretty good, some have punched out teammates, and some remain to be seen. However, I don't believe any were the caliber Currie was out of HS (except for maybe Hester, who never ended up playing here). He's the third leading JUCO scorer in the country. I have pretty high expectations for him...and we get him 3 years.

Edited by LZIp

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Since Groce has been here, we've took players from Iowa, ECU, South Carolina, Dayton, Long Beach State, Florida, and St Johns. Some have been pretty good, some have punched out teammates, and some remain to be seen. However, I don't believe any were the caliber Currie was out of HS. He's the third leading JUCO scorer in the country. I have pretty high expectations for him...and we get him 3 years.

Looks like we should also be going after Wiggings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Local TV story on Currie from back in December-

https://nbc25news.com/sports/path-to-greatness/path-to-greatness-taylor-currie

They have some Mott CC game video on Youtube.  Watched some of them and saw that Currie played a lot with is back to the basket, posting up.  In one game, the opponent devoted a lot of effort to fronting him and he did a good job of holding his ground.  Did a nice job rebounding also.  He's not a defensive presence.  He'll very much benefit from the Zips weight program.  Some of what I saw was scheme as the high school/AAU video I previously saw had him a lot more on the perimeter and he has a reasonable shot.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Local TV story on Currie from back in December-

https://nbc25news.com/sports/path-to-greatness/path-to-greatness-taylor-currie

They have some Mott CC game video on Youtube.  Watched some of them and saw that Currie played a lot with is back to the basket, posting up.  In one game, the opponent devoted a lot of effort to fronting him and he did a good job of holding his ground.  Did a nice job rebounding also.  He's not a defensive presence.  He'll very much benefit from the Zips weight program.  Some of what I saw was scheme as the high school/AAU video I previously saw had him a lot more on the perimeter and he has a reasonable shot.

What was the competition like that he was posting up against? Same size guys or bigger than him? 

• 2 weeks later...