Game 27- Miami- Saturday at 4:00 p.m.

clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I would like to see a lineup with Jaden and Reece/Riak.. play big ball and dominate the paint against these guys. #20 is becoming a liability on offense

Number 20 (X) may be the second best player on the team.  He's in a slump.  The only way out of it is to play his way out.  He's also the best rebounder on the team by far.  Two bigs would kill the offense by killing the spacing and shutting down LCJ driving.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Do you think the Zips could raise more money for the cause by auctioning those uniforms or by getting us all to kick into a fund for them to never use them again?

Got it from good authority they are one and done.  

Maybe time to stop giving X the chances to unslump himself.

Edited by NWAkron

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Got it from good authority they are one and done.  

Maybe time to stop giving X the chances to unslump himself.

Maybe, but who's going to rebound.  He just got a double double.  Also, even an "off" X is better than any sub for him.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Maybe, but who's going to rebound.  He just got a double double.  Also, even an "off" X is better than any sub for him.

Missed my point.  Hes amazing on defense.  Was only speaking of green light on 3s.

That was bad defensive sequence.  

Edited by NWAkron

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Number 20 (X) may be the second best player on the team.  He's in a slump.  The only way out of it is to play his way out.  He's also the best rebounder on the team by far.  Two bigs would kill the offense by killing the spacing and shutting down LCJ driving.

According to AP,  X carried the team!

Williams Carries Akron Past Miami (Ohio) 75-65

By The Associated Press

Feb. 22, 2020, 7:05 p.m. ET

AKRON, Ohio — Xeyrius Williams recorded 17 points and 10 rebounds to carry Akron to a 75-65 win over Miami (Ohio) on Saturday.

It is so nice getting points from our center position.  Riak and Sayles scored 9 points.  X man is in a shooting slump.  He made one three pointer and 3 layups on putbacks around the basket.  He did not force the 3 pointers and they were all wide open shots.  I was glad to see him pass up some 3 point shots in the second half and pass the ball.  He made 8 free throws.  We started off shaky with our first 9 shots all being from distance.  Our defense, lack of turnovers and rebounding kept it close in the first 10 minutes because our shooting was awful from distance.  Riak was on the post game and indicated that he gets one three pointer a game and if he makes it he can shoot a second.  I believe he has only made one 3 pointer.  Dawson also took an ugly shot from distance.  Ali, Dawson, Riak, and Tribble are a combined 2 for 21 from distance.  I hate to say this but Riak might have the best form of these four when shooting the 3 ball.  Cheese and Jackson had nice scoring and Banks had some timely threes.  Love the chemistry on this team.  We only had one shot clock violation and that was at the end of the game when we were milking the clock.  

If you saw the game this article is worthless.  But I can't disagree with this...

"...second-half issues have showed up for much of the season as well. The Zips led by 12 at halftime, but couldn’t put the RedHawks away definitively in the second half... 

...In what could prove to be the most important week of the season, with UA facing Bowling Green and Buffalo, the Zips will need to ramp it up to finish the season on the upswing heading into the MAC Tournament."