Akron 2020 Schedule

kreed5120

9 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

No doubt even the big schools lose ticket revenue. But my guess is that the money from TV, merchandise, big donor money will allow the Alabamas, OSU's etc. etc. will be just fine in the end. People will still watch OSU/Michigan, Alabama/LSU etc. And TV networks will still pay for those games. The Akron's of the world who get little from tickets or merchandise or big donors will suffer much more because their TV money isn't close to what the big schools attract. And, fan interest which is minimal to begin with may decline even more if if fewer or no games are played. Also, if the big schools cut out what would normally be 'money' games for programs

like Akron,I wonder how that would affect payouts to those smaller schools?

I agree those schools will be fine long-term. In the short-term losing 10s of millions of dollars is going to put a hurt to them. They have a larger TV deal sure, but they have significantly higher overhead as well so that TV money gets eaten up fast. They pay their head coaches nearly 8 figures and top assistants are making 7 figures. They spend significantly more on non-revenue sports and on facilities. Not to mention if they eliminate games at the start of the season, the TV networks are going to cut what they make.

Akron already doesn't generate much in ticket sales so it's really not losing much there. If anything this should help slow down the escalating athletics arms race. A race Akron wasn't able to keep up with.

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

No doubt even the big schools lose ticket revenue. But my guess is that the money from TV, merchandise, big donor money will allow the Alabamas, OSU's etc. etc. will be just fine in the end. People will still watch OSU/Michigan, Alabama/LSU etc. And TV networks will still pay for those games. The Akron's of the world who get little from tickets or merchandise or big donors will suffer much more because their TV money isn't close to what the big schools attract. And, fan interest which is minimal to begin with may decline even more if if fewer or no games are played. Also, if the big schools cut out what would normally be 'money' games for programs

like Akron,I wonder how that would affect payouts to those smaller schools?

If the big schools cut out what would normally be 'money' games for programs like Akron it will decrease the payouts to those smaller schools to zero.

15 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

If the big schools cut out what would normally be 'money' games for programs like Akron it will decrease the payouts to those smaller schools to zero.

Unless it's mutually agreed to there's a buyout. I don't think we'd get $0 if the bigger schools are making that decision on their own

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Unless it's mutually agreed to there's a buyout. I don't think we'd get $0 if the bigger schools are making that decision on their own

All the big schools have to do is cite COVID 19 as the reason for the cancellation and they are off scot-free, nada, zero payout.

And they will be too busy funding an extra set of free weights for their weight room, another throwback uniform for their team, or air-conditioned tackling dummies to be sending money to some school to which they have no contractual obligation.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:42 PM, Zipmeister said:

All the big schools have to do is cite COVID 19 as the reason for the cancellation and they are off scot-free, nada, zero payout.

And they will be too busy funding an extra set of free weights for their weight room, another throwback uniform for their team, or air-conditioned tackling dummies to be sending money to some school to which they have no contractual obligation.

https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/webcam/stadium/

https://static.cyclones.com/custompages/SportsPerformanceCenter/spc.html

$90 million.  Essential!  

^^This is why I'm happy they got YSU back on the schedule.  We need as many rivalry games as we can get.  No rival will be as fierce as Kent.  But we've also got pretty good rivalries going with OU & UB.  We need to intentionally stoke those rivalries and let students & the community know, yes, these are rivals.  Add YSU & UT to the mix & we've got an exciting, yearly football schedule full of meaningful games.  

Kent

Ohio

Buffalo

Toledo

YSU

Get the mayor of Akron in on bets with the mayors of Toledo, Buffalo & Youngstown.  Get the respective cities various social media accounts involved.  Bring back the Steel Tire Trophy.  Maybe develop trophies for the Toledo, Buffalo & Ohio games.  Idk.  It just seems like every year comes and goes and all we do is simply hope that people show up.

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

^^This is why I'm happy they got YSU back on the schedule.  We need as many rivalry games as we can get.  No rival will be as fierce as Kent.  But we've also got pretty good rivalries going with OU & UB.  We need to intentionally stoke those rivalries and let students & the community know, yes, these are rivals.  Add YSU & UT to the mix & we've got an exciting, yearly football schedule full of meaningful games.  

Kent

Ohio

Buffalo

Toledo

YSU

Get the mayor of Akron in on bets with the mayors of Toledo, Buffalo & Youngstown.  Get the respective cities various social media accounts involved.  Bring back the Steel Tire Trophy.  Maybe develop trophies for the Toledo, Buffalo & Ohio games.  Idk.  It just seems like every year comes and goes and all we do is simply hope that people show up.

Adding credence to an official rivalry with a 1-AA school is not a good look imo

On 4/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, Zipmeister said:

With the FBS playoff system what it is and what it may become,the BIG schools may be better off not scheduling cupcakes like Akron,KSUU, etc. Level of competition is becoming more of a factor as to which teams get into the FBS playoffs than actual 'wins'. You could still lose to an FBS team and get into the mix if you took care of business otherwise. Thats the way it should be. Its evolving. A win  against an Akron early may not be as meaningful as a close loss to a Texas,Oklahoma,USC etc. Play real competition if you are OSU. Play in your lane if you are Akron.

50 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Kent

Ohio

Buffalo

Toledo

YSU

Commenting to both of your comments. First one, you would think the they could develop a rivalry. I have an idea. Let's first crawl.  Just declare it a rivalry. Years ago, the mayor of Atlanta inserted the word "international" into the name of their airport and they didn't have a single international flight at the time. Today, I believe it is the busiest airport in the world with it's own international terminal.  It's all so simple.

The one I quoted.  Why not give YSU the boot and play Toledo every year?  Playing YSU is Mickey Mouse. I know this because it is the kind of idea Terry Pluto would think was a good idea. Akron would, at that point, play every Ohio MAC school every year. Not to be a jerk, but your last paragraph over complicates the issue. It isn't that hard. The AD of Toledo and the AD of Akron get together and contract an annual game against one another. Does this sound impossible? If anyone would like, I can provide an example of a case where it worked perfectly, last season. Schools like ours never think outside of the box in a realistic manner.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Toledo is in the West, we play the 3 that are on our schedule home & away this year & next.  Then we play the other 3 in a home & away & it keeps rotating like that

OK.  I understand.  I'm still confused though. Please help me.

Why don't we play Toledo every year?

2 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Sorry, i didn’t get that, went right over my head

That's OK.  The idea goes past most people because most people think of reasons why things can't be done.

So, why don't we play Toledo every year?

39 minutes ago, GP1 said:

That's OK.  The idea goes past most people because most people think of reasons why things can't be done.

So, why don't we play Toledo every year?

Okay you're Toledo's AD - why would you play Akron every year? I think it's a great idea as evidenced by UNC and Wake last year. But.. what's in it for Toledo?

10 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Okay you're Toledo's AD - why would you play Akron every year? I think it's a great idea as evidenced by UNC and Wake last year.

The Toledo AD can put an actual great idea on his resume.

Edited by GP1

On 4/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, Lee Adams said:

With the FBS playoff system what it is and what it may become,the BIG schools may be better off not scheduling cupcakes like Akron,KSUU, etc. Level of competition is becoming more of a factor as to which teams get into the FBS playoffs than actual 'wins'. You could still lose to an FBS team and get into the mix if you took care of business otherwise. Thats the way it should be. Its evolving. A win  against an Akron early may not be as meaningful as a close loss to a Texas,Oklahoma,USC etc. Play real competition if you are OSU. Play in your lane if you are Akron.

What do you think will happen to teams playing cupcakes with the Playoffs likely to expand significantly (they are going to be hungry for the cash)?  Top 1 to 6 teams might want to avoid cupcakes in order to have a stronger OOC record.  However, I could see Top 7 to 20 teams wanting more cupcakes so they are more likely to be undefeated or have only one loss.  

21 minutes ago, Cykron said:

What do you think will happen to teams playing cupcakes with the Playoffs likely to expand significantly (they are going to be hungry for the cash)?  Top 1 to 6 teams might want to avoid cupcakes in order to have a stronger OOC record.  However, I could see Top 7 to 20 teams wanting more cupcakes so they are more likely to be undefeated or have only one loss.  

I don't see that having any effect really. When you schedule 7 years in advance you don't know which of those buckets you'll be in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I don't see that having any effect really. When you schedule 7 years in advance you don't know which of those buckets you'll be in.

Seems like #1 to 6 have been pretty predictable!