Akron 2020 Schedule

kreed5120

After reading some of these posts I feel alot of you are living a bygone era.  Rivalries?  Hell we can't get enough people to show up to our fiercest one! (Kent).  I think Covid-19 is the worldwide correction on all the house-of-cards that have been built over the last 30-years.  No way Covid-19 doesn't change College sports irrevocably.  With Akron cutting 6 of it's 11 colleges?  Should it honestly be funding teams at all?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

After reading some of these posts I feel alot of you are living a bygone era.  Rivalries?  Hell we can't get enough people to show up to our fiercest one! (Kent).  I think Covid-19 is the worldwide correction on all the house-of-cards that have been built over the last 30-years.  No way Covid-19 doesn't change College sports irrevocably.  With Akron cutting 6 of it's 11 colleges?  Should it honestly be funding teams at all?  

From the video and what I've read, the whole '6 of 11 colleges' statement needs some context. Seems like they are looking at some consolidations (ex. CBA and law school as mentioned above) to reduce administrative overhead that probably isn't really necessary. Doesn't seem like over 50% of the majors are being cut, which is what I think somebody would take from that comment on its face. 

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LZIp said:

From the video and what I've read, the whole '6 of 11 colleges' statement needs some context. Seems like they are looking at some consolidations (ex. CBA and law school as mentioned above) to reduce administrative overhead that probably isn't really necessary. Doesn't seem like over 50% of the majors are being cut, which is what I think somebody would take from that comment on its face. 

We're obviously going to get the context in the next coming days/week.  But I don't see how most college athletics survives.

12 hours ago, LZIp said:

Decades overdue IMO. In the short-term to it's going to put a beating on the university, but eliminating the waste will provide long-term benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 4:30 PM, Sergeant Zip said:

16% chance of a bowl game?

16% chance of Akron going to a bowl?  Best news that has been posted here in a long time.  Now, will someone please briefly explain how they got the 16% number?

14 hours ago, Cykron said:

16% chance of Akron going to a bowl?  Best news that has been posted here in a long time.  Now, will someone please briefly explain how they got the 16% number?

That was based on the conclusion that 84% of colleges won't field a football team this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Yeah I also coach a HS summer team. Lots of sports going on. There may not be fans at first but there will be college and pro sports happening

I'm realistic but its good to be hopeful.  Ohio and Michigan so far are containing outbreaks.  I'd be happy with a 9 game MAC season.

• Like 1

I do fear football could be lost this year.  Many of the schools that are in states that opened early are having spikes.  Football is probably the worst sport as o-line & d-line are going full go in each other’s faces with a lot of droplets being exchanged. To a lesser degree the receivers & DB’s are also going at it very hard.  I’m not sure you can prevent spikes among football teams during competition 

I hope there is a football season, couldn’t imagine a fall without it but i am nervous of the possibility of it being cancelled 

On 5/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, Zip-Grad '13 said:No way Covid-19 doesn't change College sports irrevocably.  With Akron cutting 6 of it's 11 colleges?    

Don’t confuse “cutting colleges” with “cutting programs”. When I graduated in 2012 my College of Nursing was merged into the “College of Health Professions” along with seven other programs. It didn’t hurt the nursing. program in fact it was expanded to Wayne College.

They just cut a lot of duplicate staff off the top.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 9:27 AM, zippy5 said:

I watched three different pro sports yesterday

The virus is hitting Florida and Arizona hard again.  That’s where the NBA is planning on playing their games, and where the MLB is planning to restart spring training. 

In football numerous high school, college, and pro players are testing positive. Same with NASCAR. 

I’m not getting my hopes up about watching team sports in the coming months.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

The weekly Zips email today proudly informed me that according to the Lindy's Pre-Season All MAC Team, the Zips possess a first team center, a second team safety and a second team returner.  I hope in the final analysis, the Zips have better talent than just the best center, second best returner and 3rd or 4th best safety or is could be another long season.