Akron 2020 Schedule

kreed5120

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The weekly Zips email today proudly informed me that according to the Lindy's Pre-Season All MAC Team, the Zips possess a first team center, a second team safety and a second team returner.  I hope in the final analysis, the Zips have better talent than just the best center, second best returner and 3rd or 4th best safety or is could be another long season.

Well let's analyze this. We are adding what is arguably the worst recruiting class in the conference to what was clearly the worst team in the conference last season.

COVID-19 appears to be the most likely factor to prevent another long season; although miracles do happen.

Go Zips.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The weekly Zips email today proudly informed me that according to the Lindy's Pre-Season All MAC Team, the Zips possess a first team center, a second team safety and a second team returner.  I hope in the final analysis, the Zips have better talent than just the best center, second best returner and 3rd or 4th best safety or is could be another long season.

Can someone post a link to the pre season team?  I could not find it on line.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I do fear football could be lost this year.  Many of the schools that are in states that opened early are having spikes.  Football is probably the worst sport as o-line & d-line are going full go in each other’s faces with a lot of droplets being exchanged. To a lesser degree the receivers & DB’s are also going at it very hard.  I’m not sure you can prevent spikes among football teams during competition 

I hope there is a football season, couldn’t imagine a fall without it but i am nervous of the possibility of it being cancelled 

They should be able to come up with a durable face mask athletes could wear in competition, something like the neck gaiters you see people wearing. Then just space people out in the stands, require masks, take temps on the way in, etc. Even so, it will be hard to do politically if c19 cases are rising again.

14 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Athlon has 5 Zips on its preseason list as opposed to the three on Lindy's list, but in both cases we have the fewest selections of any team in the MAC.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/mac-football-2020-all-conference-team

What a sad showing for the Zips.  If these results are correct, we are looking at another 0-12 season.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:59 AM, Spin said:

Don’t confuse “cutting colleges” with “cutting programs”. When I graduated in 2012 my College of Nursing was merged into the “College of Health Professions” along with seven other programs. It didn’t hurt the nursing. program in fact it was expanded to Wayne College.

They just cut a lot of duplicate staff off the top.

Akron already cut a lot of the programs to save money years ago.  We'd be insane to think continual cuts/restructuring on the Academic side while still running  a bloated athletics budget is a good sign.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:50 AM, ZippyRulz said:

They should be able to come up with a durable face mask athletes could wear in competition, something like the neck gaiters you see people wearing. Then just space people out in the stands, require masks, take temps on the way in, etc. Even so, it will be hard to do politically if c19 cases are rising again.

There's no way it's responsible to have fans in stands during a global pandemic.  Especially when cases are already projected to be on the rise in the Fall.

1 hour ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

There's no way it's responsible to have fans in stands during a global pandemic.  Especially when cases are already projected to be on the rise in the Fall.

they could open to season ticket holders and everyone can spread out. limit concessions.  there would be plenty of room.  hell they could even spread the band out over the entire east side of the stadium.

53 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

they could open to season ticket holders and everyone can spread out. limit concessions.  there would be plenty of room.  hell they could even spread the band out over the entire east side of the stadium.

Yea, any stadium restrictions outside of no fans likely aren't going to stop anyone who wants to go to a game from going considering we are rarely above 50% capacity.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Yea, any stadium restrictions outside of no fans likely aren't going to stop anyone who wants to go to a game from going considering we are rarely above 50% capacity.

There have been recent games where we could enforce the 6 foot limit and still not use any of the upper bowl.

7 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

You don't have to worry about that. Infocision has been practicing social distancing at games since 2009.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There have been recent games where we could enforce the 6 foot limit and still not use any of the upper bowl.

I was in greek life and I'm pretty sure some of those Wednesday night intramural games at Infocision had more fans than a few of those midweek November games.