Akron 2020 Schedule

kreed5120

1 hour ago, mivid12 said:

I'm old enough to remember when the surgeon gen & dr fraudi said masks don't work....and they don't...when will you take off your mask...when your TV says it's ok?

sheep to be herded anywhere

Ummm, when the educated and experienced scientists tell me it's okay, thanks, as opposed to some internet schlub without a medical degree.

I'll stick with the most recent info as opposed to something said months ago.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mivid12 said:

precisely what i expected from a compliant lemming....when will you take off your mask...when your TV says so?

Do us all a favor and take a long vacation in Florida.  Invite your family, especially the elderly relatives.  Make it like a big reunion.  then find the most crowded and bustling bar and go in there and have some drinks.  Then go find a restaurant buffet for you all to enjoy.  And don't wear a mask and sit as close to each other as you possibly can.  Let us know how it works out for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Do us all a favor and take a long vacation in Florida.  Invite your family, especially the elderly relatives.  Make it like a big reunion.  then find the most crowded and bustling bar and go in there and have some drinks.  Then go find a restaurant buffet for you all to enjoy.  And don't wear a mask and sit as close to each other as you possibly can.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Or go to work with me one day. Either job. I work with COVID patients at both.

You’ll be the only one without a mask, face shield, and gown...

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Spin said:

Or go to work with me one day. Either job. I work with COVID patients at both.

You’ll be the only one without a mask, face shield, and gown...

...or have someone close to you get it and/or die because you didn't want to be a "lemming."

Edited by clarkwgriswold

4 hours ago, mivid12 said:

I'm old enough to remember when the surgeon gen & dr fraudi said masks don't work....and they don't...when will you take off your mask...when your TV says it's ok?

sheep to be herded anywhere

I'm old enough to remember when doctors said menthol cigarettes were good for you, and thalidomide was a great way to cure morning sickness. Even doctors get a little more educated over time.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here is TJ DeShield's postcard.  This was tweeted (is that the word?) on July 14th.  So, yes, TJ is still a Zips QB.

It was Nick Demchuk, the walk-on QB from Benedictine who transferred.  (I forget as to where... John Carroll, maybe?)

This leaves us with 4 QB's going into this upcoming season:

Incumbent starter Kato Nelson

Top challenger Zach Gibson

Security backup T.J. DeShields

True freshman Joey Marousek

As mentioned previously, this year's QB recruit is Ryan Jankowski, whom is already on campus and grey shirting this season.

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Here is TJ DeShield's postcard.  This was tweeted (is that the word?) on July 14th.  So, yes, TJ is still a Zips QB.

It was Nick Demchuk, the walk-on QB from Benedictine who transferred.  (I forget as to where... John Carroll, maybe?)

As mentioned previously, this year's QB recruit is Ryan Jankowski, whom is already on campus and grey shirting this season.

It seems like a lifetime ago that Gibson was being pounded into the ground on every play because of our horrible offensive line.  Good times.   Good times.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

It seems like a lifetime ago that Gibson was being pounded into the ground on every play because of our horrible offensive line.  Good times.   Good times.

AFAIK we lost our best OL to graduation and the 2nd best to Auburn and haven't brought any upper classmen transfers in. Coaches must be really banking on the others who contributed last year getting better and their red-shirt freshman OL.

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Are you sure that Jankowski is on campus?  I may be wrong, but I thought the purpose of the greyshirt was to delay the start of the 5 years at school to play 4.  If he were on campus and enrolled this fall, this would be his red shirt year not a grey shirt.  Again, I may be wrong, but I do not think so.  I would like to hear some comments on this topic so that I can understand it better.

15 hours ago, bigjim said:

DeShields is showing up on GOZIPS on the 'Postcard from the Zips' campaign.  I think we have Kato, Gibson, Marousek (freshman) and DeShields.  We also have Jankowski coming in as a greyshirt, enrolling in January 2021.  The link below shows that he was first team all state.  I am very excited about him, but we will have to wait to see him play.  I do not understand how a first team all state player gets grey shirted.  8A in Florida is the largest division.  I also do not understand how this player signs with the Zips.  I read that he did not play until his senior year even though his dad was the coach.  

https://floridahsfootball.com/2020/02/21/2019-class-8a-all-state-football-teams/

DeSheilds is gone !!! I understand those postcards were done awhile back.

11 hours ago, bigjim said:

Are you sure that Jankowski is on campus?  I may be wrong, but I thought the purpose of the greyshirt was to delay the start of the 5 years at school to play 4.  If he were on campus and enrolled this fall, this would be his red shirt year not a grey shirt.  Again, I may be wrong, but I do not think so.  I would like to hear some comments on this topic so that I can understand it better.

I believe he can enroll and take classes, but not as a full time student. He would officially join the team in the spring.

21 hours ago, NWAkron said:

why bc my opinion is different than your spoon fed narrative..or maybe some of us would die & in all your PHONY LIBERAL TOLERANCE & INCLUSIVENESS you would take pleasure? keep barking lemming..fear is a helluva motivator...you're a disgusting sub human

“It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.” -Thomas Sowell

Edited by mivid12

47 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

why bc my opinion is different than your spoon fed narrative..or maybe some of us would die & in all your PHONY LIBERAL TOLERANCE & INCLUSIVENESS you would take pleasure? keep barking lemming..fear is a helluva motivator...you're a disgusting sub human

“It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.” -Thomas Sowell

this is a satire account, right? 

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

Hi Big Jim.  Captain answered your question before I could chime in.  I'll add that, no, I'm nor sure Janikowski is on campus.

Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe a Grey Shirt pays their own way to school for one year.  Then they officially join the team at which point they then have 5 years to play 4, i.e., so they could redshirt an additional year.  But like I said, I could be wrong about that.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Hi Big Jim.  Captain answered your question before I could chime in.  I'll add that, no, I'm nor sure Janikowski is on campus.

Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe a Grey Shirt pays their own way to school for one year.  Then they officially join the team at which point they then have 5 years to play 4, i.e., so they could redshirt an additional year.  But like I said, I could be wrong about that.

A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don't take classes until the winter term. The NCAA allows collegeathletes five years to complete four years of eligibility after initial enrollment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don't take classes until the winter term. The NCAA allows collegeathletes five years to complete four years of eligibility after initial enrollment.

94 you are correct. But, I ain't so sure the young man gets gray shirted. Like I previously stated.. We without a lot of QBs. We need the depth.

13 hours ago, mivid12 said:

The Econ department just let out a collective sigh...

7 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I did some follow up research and this exactly what I found.  The 5 year clock starts ticking when you enroll.  This tells me that Akron is sold on Kato.  

7 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

94 you are correct. But, I ain't so sure the young man gets gray shirted. Like I previously stated.. We without a lot of QBs. We need the depth.

--------------

Following up with 94zipgrad, the decision not to greyshirt would have to be done before classes begin.  If that decision is made, then Jankowski missed the summer workouts.  The bottom line is, he will join the squad no earlier than January.  Go Zips.  

15 hours ago, John Ward said:

Blue shirt rules allow for unrecruited players to be awarded a scholarship at the start of freshman practice. This allows a team that may have too many commits to essentially borrow against their next year's scholarship total.

So I believe Bubba Arslanian was a blue shirt, he  was on the travel team & never played his freshman year & was redshirted & he paid his first year of college & the scholarship kicks in year two.  It’s used when you don’t have any scholarships left & goes against the next years allotment