Akron 2020 Schedule

kreed5120

On 7/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'm old enough to remember when doctors said menthol cigarettes were good for you, and thalidomide was a great way to cure morning sickness. Even doctors get a little more educated over time.

image.png

Thalidomide was prevented from being used in the US because of the Peer-Review process of safety data by the FDA by a single young doctor assigned to the case, and wh wasn't impressed by the salesmen and said they didn't have any safety data to back up their claims for it's use on pregnant women...and she was right.  Dr. Francis Kelsey is a forgotten American Hero.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, Captain Kangaroo said:

When you enroll as a full time student, I believe. You can pay for your own 9 credits and the clock doesn’t tick.

Isn't that how Brandon Weeden was able to go back and play football?  Because he left for baseball but didn't exhaust those last 2(?) years of the ticking clock because he was failing at a baseball career...or do different sports have different clocks?

Edited by Zip-Grad '13

"Clemson also surveyed about 8,500 of its football season-ticket holders to get feedback on how football should proceed, with 83% of respondents saying they were "comfortable" attending games this fall with proper social distancing measures. Additionally, 54% said they preferred a fall football season without fans in the stands to a potential spring season in which fans would be allowed to attend, while only 21% said they would tailgate on campus even without tickets to see the game.

"[Attendance] is still in flux," Radakovich said. "Many models have been pulled together on that and hopefully in the next three weeks we'll move forward with more specific detail associated with what capacity opportunities we'll have for Memorial Stadium."

• 2 weeks later...

Clemson still has 9/19 open and slated as the date they will play their non-conference game (which is the date we are supposed to play them). However, no team is listed, where multiple other MAC schools are listed on other teams' schedules.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Clemson still has 9/19 open and slated as the date they will play their non-conference game (which is the date we are supposed to play them). However, no team is listed, where multiple other MAC schools are listed on other teams' schedules.

sounds like breach of contract to me...maybe.  If other schools are playing MAC opponents or other out of conference teams and Clemson plays an out of conference game then (without reading the contract) this seems like a breach.  Akron isn't going to say a word and the MAC isn't going to cancel anything.  They still have those power schools on the hook for those deals.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

MAC Decision Day

We will know more today.

Rumor in South Carolina is Akron is being replaced by Citadel on the Clemson schedule. Today's decision will just let them know how much it's going to be to get out of the Akron contract if that is the road they take. Citadel is willing to play them for $450,000 and the powers that be in SC would want some money thrown around SC right about now.

No matter how things shake out today, I don't see Akron playing Clemson this season.

Edited by GP1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

MAC Decision Day

We will know more today.

Rumor in South Carolina is Akron is being replaced by Citadel on the Clemson schedule. Today's decision will just let them know how much it's going to be to get out of the Akron contract if that is the road they take. Citadel is willing to play them for $450,000 and the powers that be in SC would want some money thrown around SC right about now.

No matter how things shake out today, I don't see Akron playing Clemson this season.

Hopefully, Zips will get the cash and save our players from traveling to a COVID hot bed/

36 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Hopefully, Zips will get the cash and save our players from traveling to a COVID hot bed/

$1.2 million is not much for a school like Clemson.

SC daily cases are down 50% from July 19th. Cases across the usa are down. I recommend following Alex Berenson.

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

$1.2 million is not much for a school like Clemson.

SC daily cases are down 50% from July 19th. Cases across the usa are down. I recommend following Alex Berenson.

Whatever the case Clemson needs to pay up.  (And SC's % positive is over 14% compared to Ohios 5%) 

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2020/08/06/mid-american-conference-2020-football-season/stories/20200806129

Edited by NWAkron

PSU AD said they're going to lose upper 8 figures this season.. I hate to say the 3 million they pay for OOC games is peanuts but I'm starting to think the guarantee game payouts are an expense they are eating. It's hard to justify playing 11 games around the east coast, with an OOC game now and say it wasn't possible to play Akron

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

PSU AD said they're going to lose upper 8 figures this season.. I hate to say the 3 million they pay for OOC games is peanuts but I'm starting to think the guarantee game payouts are an expense they are eating. It's hard to justify playing 11 games around the east coast, with an OOC game now and say it wasn't possible to play Akron

I certainly hope so.  If those ACC teams can play other MAC schools they certainly could play Akron.  It's difficult to understand why this is happening other than looking at Pitt, BC, and ND being in states without as high a rate of infection (and no I'm not trying to start a political debate).

14 hours ago, zippy5 said:

It's hard to justify playing 11 games around the east coast, with an OOC game now and say it wasn't possible to play Akron

Clemson can justify anything it wants as long as it meets legal obligations. The pile of money they are sitting on told them it is possible to explore options. 

It is entirely possible for Clemson to play Akron but I think the odds of that happening are about as good as Jack surviving the cold water at the end of Titanic. They don't want to play Akron and they will not be playing Akron. What is going on is little more than in state politics. There is an in state public institution in need of a game. Clemson is making room for that team to have a game. Pretty soon the Akron/Clemson game is going to float away in the cold north Atlantic ocean like Jack's stiff, frozen corpse.

Clemson is waiting on the MAC's decision. If the MAC foregoes the season, they are out of their contract and financial obligations to Akron making them free to schedule Citadel. If the MAC plays, they have to pay Akron to get out of the contract and then put Citadel on the schedule for $450K. Either way, Akron is out and Citadel is in. It's more about the game than the money.

There have also been rumors of Clemson trying to sneak in a game against Ohio State, but I think that is a pipe dream.  

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

Clemson can justify anything it wants as long as it meets legal obligations. The pile of money they are sitting on told them it is possible to explore options. 

It is entirely possible for Clemson to play Akron but I think the odds of that happening are about as good as Jack surviving the cold water at the end of Titanic. They don't want to play Akron and they will not be playing Akron. What is going on is little more than in state politics. There is an in state public institution in need of a game. Clemson is making room for that team to have a game. Pretty soon the Akron/Clemson game is going to float away in the cold north Atlantic ocean like Jack's stiff, frozen corpse.

Clemson is waiting on the MAC's decision. If the MAC foregoes the season, they are out of their contract and financial obligations to Akron making them free to schedule Citadel. If the MAC plays, they have to pay Akron to get out of the contract and then put Citadel on the schedule for $450K. Either way, Akron is out and Citadel is in. It's more about the game than the money.

There have also been rumors of Clemson trying to sneak in a game against Ohio State, but I think that is a pipe dream.  

I'm certain Jack's stiff, frozen corpse sank rather than floated away.

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

It would be a blessing to get a tidy lump sum and not have to go there and take the beating. I'm sure we would accept a force majeure reduced settlement as we did with Nebraska and I'm sure Clemson is sure of it too.

Think of it like this. They were going to pay Akron $1.2 million. They settle for us at $750,000 and pay Citadel $450,000. They wouldn't have to spend any extra in reality.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

At a military school, isn't that like insubordination?

The Citadel isn't a real military school. Kids can leave whenever they want. Clemson, USC, and Winthrop are all better schools.

Think of it as a school where unimpressive kids of former Citadel graduates go because it's part of their family tradition.  It's been going on so long people in South Carolina have little respect for their graduates.

The rumblings on Twitter aren't hopeful for a Fall season.  Testing all the players all the time doesnt come cheap.  (And Hilltopper voted there would be no games and he's usually right).

Just read...it's cancelled.  #SaveBasketball.

Edited by NWAkron

• 1 month later...