Article on Dru Joyce III's new career in coaching

Blue & Gold

9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The time of a potential Groce departure and Joyce being ready to take over a DI program could line up. I would love to see Dru as the HC of the Zips someday. 

I hope Groce gets hired away as that probably means Akron won at least 1 tournament game and had multiple seasons of success. Dru needs to land an assistant job somewhere then have a successful few seasons as a head coach at someplace like Stony Brook (like Boals) before I'd feel comfortable giving him the job. All in all that would probably take 6-8 years, probably more. Akron, along with Buffalo and Ohio, are probably the best coaching jobs in MAC basketball. I don't think we should just give the position to someone because he played here.

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Maybe Groce will stay?  No?

It he stays it probably means he had a Rob Senderhoff type tenure. Dambrot turned down some offers throughout the years so if Groce is anywhere in the realm of what Dambrot accomplished, I see him taking the first non-dead end step up offer he gets. Unlike Dambrot he has no connection to Akron so he has nothing keeping him here except not having a better current option.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

I hope Groce gets hired away as that probably means Akron won at least 1 tournament game and had multiple seasons of success. Dru needs to land an assistant job somewhere then have a successful few seasons as a head coach at someplace like Stony Brook (like Boals) before I'd feel comfortable giving him the job. All in all that would probably take 6-8 years, probably more. Akron, along with Buffalo and Ohio, are probably the best coaching jobs in MAC basketball. I don't think we should just give the position to someone because he played here.

Good points!  Yeah, jumping from CSU to Akron...real big leap.

And even if Groce leaves at the top, as long as the Administration is prepared and doesn't make a massive "Saul Ball" like mistake... hopefully will be ok.

Edited by NWAkron

• 3 years later...