Game 30- Ohio University

clarkwgriswold

Yep I think the zips cut down the net simply because they're guaranteed to be no worse than co-champions. But even though they announced it on the broadcast I do not think they have the number one seed locked up by any stretch. I think they need to beat Kent almost no matter what else happens. 

Wow, one of the most exciting JAR games in a long while.

Fantastic defense by the Zips in the second half.  First half D was sketchy, but they cranked it up in the second half.  OU scored 50 in the first half and 17 in the second.

OU went after LCJ tonight.  I think we'll see a lot of that from here on in.

Great halftime adjustments by Groce and staff.

• Like 1

I wonder what Groce and this team are thinking, after beating Buffalo without Cheese and Ohio without LCJ for nearly half the game. Incredible efforts in back to back games, and I really, REALLY hope we take it to Can't and knock the teeth out of their stupid bird. 

By the way, I think Groce likes coaching here. Who knows if he'll stay long term, how long he'll stay, etc., but I think the mid-major stage is where he thrives. Overall just a great guy and a phenomenal coach. What a job he has done in under 3 seasons at the helm. Akron Basketball is BACK! Go Zips!

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

Serious question:  If Zips win the MAC Tourney (from what I've seen, it's going to be either Akron or Kent), does a bigger school come after Groce again?

They can try. I don't think he'd go that route again so quickly, but just my opinion. I don't know him

35 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

Serious question:  If Zips win the MAC Tourney (from what I've seen, it's going to be either Akron or Kent), does a bigger school come after Groce again?

He had to win 3 tournament games before Illinois came calling last time. He inherited a depleted Akron roster so this is really his first year achieving anything. Akron simply making the tournament I don't see changing much. If he wins a game or 2 in the tournament, I could see an A10 or AAC team becoming interested. Whether it's actually much of a step up I'd guess would depend on which school in those conferences came calling.

I feel it would take multiple years of success before he gets another chance at a P6 school. One good season at Akron isn't going to make those schools forget his 5 year sub par tenure at Illinois. 

Edit: Akron should be returning MPOY (Yes, I'm already calling it) LCJ and has some nice pieces to plug into the roster next season. If he follows up this year with another great year next year, I'd think that would be his quickest ticket to return to a P6 job. One could argue a mid-table to below average AAC job would be an upgrade over Akron, but then he'd also have to spend x-number of years rebuilding the roster enough to compete.

Edited by kreed5120

36 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

I could see a team from a better conference talking to him, but I don't see a P5 taking him away, at least yet.  You have an awful lot of faith in Ravenna.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

ABJ - nice coverage? Left is right, up is down, dogs and cats living together?! And I hope we keep Groce a while could be another great rivalry with he and Boals developing.

Edited by MDZip

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I could see a team from a better conference talking to him, but I don't see a P5 taking him away, at least yet.  You have an awful lot of faith in Ravenna.

OWell Groce is beginning to act like he did when we hated him at Ohio. Man Boals ego had to be bruised when Groce rolled him in the second half.

Edited by NWAkron

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I felt the same, but didn't want to jinx myself saying it since we play them Friday. I wouldn't be surprised if PCCC doesn't even make it to Cleveland. They've been so hit or miss all season. They could easily lose to WMU or CMU in the 1st round. They haven't won 4 games in a row since November.

Edited by kreed5120