Game 30- Ohio University

clarkwgriswold

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He is really coming into his own these last few games. He seems much more confident on both sides of the ball. 

10 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Just how fantastic was that Tribble dunk?

If Tribble develops his jumpshot in the off season, he will be a star.  The kid can jump out of the gym.

• Like 1

Tribble is incredibly athletic.  He can jump out of the gym.  He really needs to focus on finishing and the rim and shooting.  Too often, he gets to the rim but tries to utilize his hang time instead of a simple finish.  His shot, both from the outside and at the foul line, really needs work.  You can see now that defenders sag from him at the 3 point line as they don't see him as a threat.  He made one last night and had one other brutal attempt that touched nothing.

Speaking of guards, that Preston kid is a real player.  He can sure get to the rim.

Lots to love about last night, but can anyone help me figure out why the students and community don't give greater support to this team? Attendance was announced at 3800+. It was nowhere close to that. More like 2600. The lower bowl was 60% filled and the upper levels were all under 50%. Why? Last night's game was one for the ages. The students just don't show and make the place a madhouse. I'd focus on them first. If they show the community will follow because each game will become an event. People will enjoy watching them and being there in person. Please comment. I need to understand why our gym is not packed.

Let me close by saying Tribble's dunk was electric and the timing of it was superb ... when the game hung in the balance. If he can learn to shoot and hit his FT's, both terrible, he will be first team All-MAC.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

mail (5).jpg

I still can't believe Groce has taken us from utter rubble to MAC Champions in 4 years.  When Groce took over the program he only had 5 scholarship players, only one of whom, Jimmond Ivey, was an every-game starter the previous season.  

#Basketballschool 

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I still can't believe Groce has taken us from utter rubble to MAC Champions in 4 years.  When Groce took over the program he only had 5 scholarship players, only one of whom, Jimmond Ivey, was an every-game starter the previous season.  

#Basketballschool 

3 years/seasons.  But it hasn't been pretty

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Lots to love about last night, but can anyone help me figure out why the students and community don't give greater support to this team? Attendance was announced at 3800+. It was nowhere close to that. More like 2600. The lower bowl was 60% filled and the upper levels were all under 50%. Why? Last night's game was one for the ages. The students just don't show and make the place a madhouse. I'd focus on them first. If they show the community will follow because each game will become an event. People will enjoy watching them and being there in person. Please comment. I need to understand why our gym is not packed.

Let me close by saying Tribble's dunk was electric and the timing of it was superb ... when the game hung in the balance. If he can learn to shoot and hit his FT's, both terrible, he will be first team All-MAC.

Attendance always lags behind success. By Akron's standards we're coming off 2 straight sub par years and entered this season with low expectations. Our season ticket base is probably at the lowest in quite some time. This part of the country will never be college basketball crazy. We had sustained success under Dambrot and we were still only averaging ~3500  a game. 

13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Attendance always lags behind success. By Akron's standards we're coming off 2 straight sub par years and entered this season with low expectations. Our season ticket base is probably at the lowest in quite some time. This part of the country will never be college basketball crazy. We had sustained success under Dambrot and we were still only averaging ~3500  a game. 

i was posting on the other thread that having the AK Rowdies back riding an opposing coach like Boals would be hilarious.  But I think the fans are coming around.  After the game, LCJ was high 5ing with the student section.  Having everyone so close to the court is a real bonus in tight games.

9 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Attendance issues stem from lazy-ass marketing too. While the local media is bad at showing them appreciation, I see nothing being done by Akron to help with attendance. Just myopic.

Win a tournament game and that will all change. Thats how other small powerhouses got started i.e. Gonzaga, Wichita state, and arguably Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Win a tournament game and that will all change. Thats how other small powerhouses got started i.e. Gonzaga, Wichita state, and arguably Buffalo. 

Then the trick becomes capitalizing on it and keeping it rolling.  For every Gonzaga and Wichita State there are two George Mason, Coppin State or Norfolk States.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Then the trick becomes capitalizing on it and keeping it rolling.  For every Gonzaga and Wichita State there are two George Mason, Coppin State or Norfolk States.   

You can just look 15 miles down the road for an example of those last 3 schools you mentioned. You can also look 40 miles to the north where CSU built a 13k arena after they thought they made it to the big time with that Sweet 16 appearance. The only way Akron will consistently fill the JAR is if they can become a consistent top 30-40 basketball program. That's not easy to do in the MAC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You can just look 15 miles down the road for an example of those last 3 schools you mentioned. You can also look 40 miles to the north where CSU built a 13k arena after they thought they made it to the big time with that Sweet 16 appearance. The only way Akron will consistently fill the JAR is if they can become a consistent top 30-40 basketball program. That's not easy to do in the MAC.

It doesn't help when the architects of such surges inevitably get plucked by a bigger program.  You either have to find a guy like Few who will stick with it in the long haul or guess right again and again (e.g. Butler).

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

It doesn't help when the architects of such surges inevitably get plucked by a bigger program.  You either have to find a guy like Few who will stick with it in the long haul or guess right again and again (e.g. Butler).

Butler also capitalized on the timing of their success. They jumped into the Big East during all the conference realignment, which set the foundation of their program that much higher - i.e. better recruiting, funding, etc. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Groce could be that architect though. He is well respected and seems to be brining in power 5 talent via transfers and recruits. I don't see why Akron can't be similar to schools like VCU or Dayton. 

• Like 1