Game 31- PCCC- Friday at 6:30

7 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Briefly spoke with Groce after the game and he won me over. 

My first time attending a game since the upgrades. 

I am very impressed. Was a great atmosphere last-night. 

Im definitely all in 

88136085-10104951671148512-3022164402234

Dre, joined the “dark side”?  Glad you finally saw the light!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Im definitely all in 

Welcome back to Zips Nation.  There is nothing wrong with occasional disagreements or differing points of view as long as we all remember we are in this together and Kent still sucks.  On to Cleveland....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Recorded the game and just watched the replay. Wow, Riak really was the MVP of that game. I'll gladly eat my words from earlier in the season. I'm happy he's doing good and he proved to me why he should be the starting center.

As much as he can drive us crazy, he stabilized the defense all season.  Also, unlike some of our past bigs (think Big Dog) he can hit foul shots late in the game.  Lastly, Groce ended the quest for 3 pointer so no more anxiety when Riak gets the ball at the top of the key. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

Im definitely all in 

Very nice dre.  Takes some humility to man up an admit you are wrong.  Welcome to the fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dre22era said:

Im definitely all in 

Dre - Couldn't help myself comparing you to John Candy at about the :54 second mark in a clip from the movie Stripes (truth be told I was not a fan of the Groce hire at first but have also met and talked to him enough to realize he's very good people; who the hell am I to judge?!? :-) ... 

Edited by GoZips88
  • Like 1

I'm still a little perturbed by Mr. Pinky.  Funny how he touts the intensity of the rivalry all year.  He was on the refs all night.  Had his studs in down the stretch.  Told the world how good his team was this year against the MAC's top teams.  Now that his team loses, it was an unimportant game.  What a tool.  When the Zips lost  a month ago, Groce credited the opponent for making the tough plays down the stretch and stated the Zips had some things to work on.  Nice to have a head coach with some class.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm still a little perturbed by Mr. Pinky.  Funny how he touts the intensity of the rivalry all year.  He was on the refs all night.  Had his studs in down the stretch.  Told the world how good his team was this year against the MAC's top teams.  Now that his team loses, it was an unimportant game.  What a tool.  When the Zips lost  a month ago, Groce credited the opponent for making the tough plays down the stretch and stated the Zips had some things to work on.  Nice to have a head coach with some class.

And don't forget that Carmen Santiago trying to miss his FT but making it.  And the final shot to send game into OT.

One could argue that NIU gave up and gave Ball State the 4th seed.

Edited by NWAkron

16 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Imagine being as miserable as this loser

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 5.43.39 PM.png

Wow.  Giving me more motivation to head to Ravenna and the MAC Center Monday night to cheer on EMU.

Overrated?  Zips aren't rated anywhere that requires someone's opinion.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I think Groce is a better strategist than KD. He puts in plays and schemes that work.

KD's forte was recruiting. He started with the old Lebron crew that he brought with him, then scored with Zeke and Big Dog which got him like 7 good years.

Groce seems able to do more with less.

I don't recall KD ever talking about team "chemistry" and the guys liking each other and playing for each other especially with guards like Abreu, Noah, and Antino.  Cohesive unit is the priority.  OT: if you look at Jeremy Roscoe's twitter feed you may see one of reasons he left so abruptly.

Outside of Zeke what coveted recruit did Dambrot get? Did Big Dog even have an offer outside of Akron? If anything I'd say Groce is known more as the recruiter. Dambrot just had a nice plug and play system and found under the radar guys that fit it and developed them. Part of why Buffalo had our number in the tournament is they had more athletically gifted players. Groce has brought those same type of players to Akron.

• Thanks 1

Two different ways of getting to a successful conclusion.

I'm curious to see if Groce starts to develop more from freshmen as opposed to jucos and transfers now that he has things up and running.  I think he had to go there to get the program up to speed and he sure did a great job of finding them.  I just want good kids who win, I could give a $h!_+ their origin, but KD always stayed away from jucos with the exception of Evans.

• Like 1

My guess is Groce would prefer to bring in balanced recruiting classes as Freshman and let them grow up in the system. But I agree with the sentiment @Blue & Gold has touted and that is "Get old, stay old". So if for some reason a player doesn't work out and moves on, he will likely be replaced with someone who can step into that role and perform on schedule. Which would mean an occasional transfer.

• Like 1

I don't see us attracting athletes like Xeyrius as true freshmen. At least not on a consistent basis. I think under Groce we'll always utilize transfers and juco to some degree. You almost have to if you want to be successful as a mid-major in todays college landscape.

• Like 1