2020 MAC Tournament

13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I just missed him being on, but from the brief recap it doesn't sound like it.

I listened.  Did say some good stuff about Akron basketball and Groce.  Also BG/Toledo one of best rivalries in country.  Nothing about the school up the road 

It says "asking" so it's confusing.  This is absolute hysteria.  I looked at the governors website.  He mentions that he hopes organizations will comply.  Looks like a CYA for him.  This has to be stressful on the players and their families especially those making a long trip to be in Cleveland.

Edited by NWAkron

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If the MAC decides to play the tournament without fans, that would be a huge advantage to NIU if we face them. Their players are use to playing in empty arenas ?

The caravan from DeKalb just slammed on the brakes! 

(That would be a 1997 Dodge Caravan).

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Not that the MAC tournament gets tons of fans, but watching it in an empty arena would just seem so anticlimactic. 

Thursday the attendance is usually pretty sparse - especially the afternoon session.

But every time I've gone up for Akron on either Friday and/or Saturday it's been pretty packed.

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thursday the attendance is usually pretty sparse - especially the afternoon session.

But every time I've gone up for Akron on either Friday and/or Saturday it's been pretty packed.

6-10k usually. Like I said not a ton but it's a fun atmosphere

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Just cancel it and give the bid to the regular season champ imo

The Ivy League Cancels Conference Basketball Tournaments-   I know that this may be the correct thing to do but I feel bad for all the seniors who will never get to play their last game.  I think holding the tournament without fans may be the best compromise if they go in that direction.  What about the Cavs?  How do you justify canceling the MAC tournament only to have the Cavs fill the arena next week?

3 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

The Ivy League Cancels Conference Basketball Tournaments-   I know that this may be the correct thing to do but I feel bad for all the seniors who will never get to play their last game.  I think holding the tournament without fans may be the best compromise if they go in that direction.  What about the Cavs?  How do you justify canceling the MAC tournament only to have the Cavs fill the arena next week?

Rational thinking left the building a long time ago.  I guess we are going to learn this week what college sports are all about.  Do they exist without fans? Do players want to win without fans there?  Tree falling in the woods type of thing.

8 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I hope they do not do this. I hate handouts. Feels unearned. 

I don't want them to cancel the MAC Tourney, but I don't consider playing all those games and winning the regular season a "handout".

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1