2020 MAC Tournament

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Absolute arrogance from DeWine.  He pressured the conference.  

Feel so bad for the players.  Especially the seniors.  Will be hard to get them motivated for what will seem like a scrimmage.

Old Mike is just following the lead of the medical people.  Better safe than sorry gets you elected much easier than asleep at the switch.

Here's hoping Groce is the motivator we think he is.  A championship and an NCAA berth should be enough motivation.

6 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I think a lot of places are afraid to be the spot where this really broke out, if that were to happen

Yeah.  Unfortunate turn of events but I'm sure it wasn't done lightly.  Just venting.  And this clears things for the players, they can play without worry.  We are spoiled here because we have such easy access to the Arena. But it absolutely sucks and any of us would hate ourselves if we brought it home to an elderly loved one.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

Zips release-

AKRON, Ohio – Earlier this evening, the Mid-American Conference announced that the 2020 Mid-American Conference Men's and Women's Basketball Tournament in Cleveland, Ohio, March 11-14, will be closed to the general public. All games will be played as planned. As a result, the University of Akron department of athletics will no longer be hosting the fans pre-game rally at Pizza(216) Kitchen + Taphouse.

"We fully support the health concerns and recommendations outlined by Ohio Governor Mike DeWine today," Zips' Director of Athletics Larry Williams said. "At the same time, it is hard to describe how disappointed we are that all of our wonderful alumni, supporters and fans (especially NWAkron) are not going to be able to attend this special event in person. And, it is so very disappointing the student athletes will not be able to enjoy the passion reflected by the raucous crowds that always come out to support their Zips. Fortunately, there will be great television coverage for each game."

Fans whom purchased tickets through the University of Akron have the option to contribute to the Z-FUND and men's basketball program or request a full refund.

Tomorrow, the ticket office will contact ticket purchasers. Ticket purchasers may contact the C.P. and Cornelia S. Chima Athletics Ticket Office directly during regular business hours at 1-888-99-AKRON (25766).

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Haha 1

Those that know me well know I can't stand the MAC and wish we could leave

Commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher is a Homer who has NEVER defended us and this conference and this puss move makes us look even more inferior to other Conferences. 

I am currently watching UMBC play Vermont in the American East Tournament. What an embarrassment this has been. 
Mike DeWine is a Puss too. Ohio Deserves better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More road kill for the Zips.

Spoke to a friend who is a critical care doctor at Cleveland Clinic.  She says they are in meetings every day about it and that this is highly contagious/infectious.  Also, it could develop into a more dangerous strain.  

So I think this will fall into the life isn't always fair category.

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think the authorities have opted to risk being called a puss as opposed to being called the guys whose decisions resulted in needless deaths.   Who knows, this may all be media hype in the end, but if you are in the position of being a policymaker, you can't take that chance.

Right.  What's that phrase... "cognitive dissonance?"  I was willing to go to the games, but I wasn't willing to go to the crowded pre-party at Pizza 216.  

Can I go if I wear a hazmat suit? The MAC is an absolute joke of a conference. I follow this team all season and can't even go to their playoff games. I hope the MAC and RM field house lose lots of money as a result. What a crap show. Gonzaga is a school in Washington where there are actual deaths yet they still get to play in their conference tournament game (in front of fans). 3 people in Cleveland contract the virus and DeWine turns into a pansy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Can I go if I wear a hazmat suit? The MAC is an absolute joke of a conference. I follow this team all season and can't even go to their playoff games. I hope the MAC and RM field house lose lots of money as a result. What a crap show. Gonzaga is a school in Washington where there are actual deaths yet they still get to play in their conference tournament game (in front of fans). 3 people in Cleveland contract the virus and DeWine turns into a pansy. 

And that's a good point, too.

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I could be wrong but I think the issue with tournaments as opposed to single games like that is you have eight fanbases from different areas that could potentially go back and bring it to 8 different areas. Just stinks. But I suppose better safe than sorry

Also, the Conference has a duty to some extent to protect the students, athletes, and staff at those universities.